Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has happened before... Desmond loves new foods, but I've only switched up his diet a few times while looking for the right food. We're now feeding Orijen Lg Puppy and have been for several months, and all's been well for the most part. He's been very healthy and seemed to really like it. However, I've noticed that over time he's become less and less interested in his food. He was never really one of those dogs that got really excited around meal time, but usually in the mornings or afternoons he'd be hungry and would eat the food within 30 minutes or an hour or so. Lately though, he's been not eating much at all, and seems completely uninterested in his meals.

I give him a cup at each feeding, 3 times a day, which is already quite a bit less than what's recommended on the bag. He doesn't eat much of it, so I'm very reluctant to up the amount I feed him. He picks at it some and may finish it off after several hours of his bowl being out and him picking at it, but usually it's left untouched for a while. Even if I put it in his crate while I'm at school, the bowl may still be almost half full when I come home. He's almost stopped eating dinner altogether. Sometimes he'll eat some/most of it. I pour the food, he'll go sniff it, but doesn't eat it happily like he used to. He still eats other things happily, like treats and snacks, and is healthy in all other respects. I don't think he's sick or anything. Now, it's not like he NEVER empties his bowl, he just does it over a long period of time and never seems to want to eat more than a couple bites at a time.

Is he just being picky? He liked this food before, has he just gotten tired of it or something? We keep the food in a special dog food container, otherwise I would think maybe it went stale or something. What should I do to keep him more interested in his food? The same thing happened with Blue when we fed him that, he seemed to lose interest after a couple months.
He just doesn't seem hungry. :\

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
How old is he? On my bag after 6 months you feed twice a day. 3 cups sounds like an awfully lot of food. Mia is 4 1/2 months and gets 2 cups.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
How is his body condition? If he looks to be at a healthy weight, maybe he just doesn't need that much food... just a guess. Three cups a day does sound like a lot, but I know that it can vary quite a bit based on the brand and formula of the food.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I would go to twice a day. 3 cups does seem like a good bit. Some dogs are good at once a day. But I would feed in the am & then the pm.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
He very well just might not be a big eater which alot of poodles seem to be. One thing you could do to help him eat more is put him on scheduled feedings. Give him his morning food, set a timer and give him 15-20 minutes to eat. Whatever he doesnt eat gets put back until next meal. Same thing at dinner, 15-20 min. to eat and then it gets put back. This will help him understand that he needs to eat everything when its offered at meal times. Ive seen alot of dogs be better eaters if they are sched. then if they are free fed.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He's 11 months old... the bag says to feed him a lot more than what I am now (4.5 cups), so I was worried I wasn't feeding him enough. It's been saying that I should feed him 3 cups when he was 3-9 months old, and I knew it was way too much then so I cut it back. He got like 1/2 to 3/4 a cup every meal, and I only recently put more in since he hit 10 months. Orijen seems like a "heavy" food too, so I always kinda thought I was feeding him too much when he got 3 cups, but figured I was just being dumb. d:

I used to schedule his feeding when he was younger (like the first few months we had him), but I stopped once he started eating regularly. I guess I never thought to do it now!! :doh: Silly me, I'll definitely start doing that again, hopefully it will help.

We'll start on 2 meals a day then, even though we might as well be what with him not eating dinner lately haha.
How much should I feed him? He's not fat or skinny, kinda muscular in the legs and such, I can feel his ribs but they aren't sticky-outie. I haven't weighed him recently, but he's just over 50 lbs as a rough estimate.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Well I feed Harry a little over 2 cups (because the cup is heaping) total per day and some days he won't finish all of it. I just think I'd start out with 2 cups and see if he finishes it right away and seems hungry add more at the next feeding.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I never go by what the bag says. Even if it is a good quality food, they are still a buisness. The more the dog eats, the more food they sell. When Riley was under a year and on kibble the bag said 4-6 cups a day for his size. He was eating 2 cups a day and was fine. Go by what he needs, not what they say (which by what you are describing, what ever amount you are feeding now sounds perfect for his age).

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Maybe start with a cup or 1 1/2 cup at each meal. Good luck with it, I bet he shows more interest!

·
Registered
356 Posts
I think it might be time to switch to twice a day feeding. And, I find that if I fed my poodles what was recommended on the bag, they'd be the size of the goodyear blimp. They get about 1/2 of what is recommended on the bag and I still have to watch their waist. They have NEVER eaten nearly as much as what was "recommended" on the bags . . . .. they'd like to, but Mama says NO.

I just check their ribs and waist every week and adjust their intake accordingly. Maybe up the food a bit or decrease it a bit.

My biggest poodle used to be a picky eater (when he was very young, he was kind of scrawny) and I would try to entice him to eat by adding all kinds of goodies . .. well, eventually, he would only eat his kibble if I was adding roast beef. I'm sure if I had kept it up, he would have been demanding caviar. So, I stopped cold turkey one day and only gave him kibble (and water added to it). He starved for a couple of days while he tried to convince me to add the goodies. Then he gave in and he's been a good eater ever since. I also do not leave the food down for more than a few minutes. If they don't eat, they lose their opportunity to eat till the next meal. You snooze, you lose. Sure boosts their enthusiasm for eating.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think it might be time to switch to twice a day feeding. And, I find that if I fed my poodles what was recommended on the bag, they'd be the size of the goodyear blimp.
LOL Kanatadoggroomer!! :)

Alright then. I always figured the bag said to feed a bit more than they needed, but I never quite knew so I just went by what it told me. I'm thinking we'll go back to two cups a day, two meals, and if he needs more I'll add some. That is sounding better and better when I think about it, I'm not liking how he started with the free feeding thing. I never thought of it as free feeding until now, but it definitely is since he can go back any time of the day and eat... no thanks!

Thanks for the help! I'm glad to know that he's not the only one who doesn't eat 4 cups of food a day... ;)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Just keep tabs on the ribs and waistline of your pooch. Every dog has a different metabolism, so he may need a little more or a little less on a week-to-week basis. I find that in all three of my poodles, they are wayyyy below what is recommended on the bag - and they are what I would call "normal" active poodles. The waistline won't lie!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Orijen is probably THE most expensive food out there. Its very healthy and therefore, you can feed 3 cups comfortably. HOWEVER, my dogs are not all that fond of it. I bought it about a year ago when I bought my toy poodle. I wanted him to have very small kibble bits. He hated it and so I gave it to the standards....they didn't care for it either. I feed Dog Lovers Gold
www.dogloversgold.com
I top-dress my food every day in the morning. I make a crock pot full of chicken or beef stew type stuff and put it in the dry. I heat it up on the stove and stir it in good so they don't pick out all the goodies. The rest of the day, they have to eat it dry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts