Poodle Forum banner

81 - 82 of 82 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,595 Posts
It's frustrating. I remember my Dad complaining bitterly: "I always get consulted on the crash landing, but nobody ever checks with me before takeoff." Its not fair you are going to get stuck helping out. Ultimately, though, it's your daughter's dog, and it seems she's not interested in your advice regarding breeders. It is what it is

At this point I wouldn't borrow trouble. One of my neighbor's kids, as some kind of 4H project, ended up with a youngster from a puppy mill in Pennsylvania. Everyone in the family expected this dog to be completely insane. He's wonderful. At the end of the summer last year I spotted the kid on a paddle board half a mile off shore with her adolescent puppy sitting on the front calmly watching boats and seagulls.

Instead, I would focus your efforts on making the whole situation as workable as possible for you,, the kids,, and the puppy. I recommend getting a good training book like Ian Dunbar's Before and After You Get Your Puppy and using it to set ground rules about how everyone should interact.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
In regard to the allergy issue, Newport is probably speaking of poodles being a best case scenario because they are generally the best breed for allergies. There are other allergy-friendly breeds but I've never met a dog that produces as little dander as my poodle. He has no doggy odor when bathed regularly and he barely salivates. Poodle faces are often clean shaven which reduces allergens that are spread by the saliva that collects in fluffy facial hair. There is variation from dog to dog, but in general poodles are the best you will find. So it is possible that one poodle may not be as allergy friendly as another, but I do not think you will find more luck with schnauzers than you will with poodles. It is true that smaller poodles may be more allergy friendly simply due to size because small size means less dander.
That has certainly been my experience!

81 - 82 of 82 Posts