Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO, i'm just now calming down from this.

First off, I own 2 LOVELY pit bull terriers, Sandra and her 9 month old pup Beaurgard. I'm not ignorant to the fact this breed tends to be dog aggressive, and I get PLENTY of negative and probably unintentionally rude comments on a daily basis. Because of their bad rep, I work extra hard to be a responsible dog owner and socialize my pitties and I'll respectfuly keep distance from anyone who is fearful of the breed. (I've had ppl cross the street to avoid us :eek:hwell: )

And guess what happens today while my boyfriend and I are walking our pitties?

A Camaro, car window completely down drives by with 3 other pits- heads out the window.

First thought: Ohh, how cute, that one looks like my baby Beau!

...car slows a bit, why are they slowing? who knows, but..

Second thought: Oh crap, that dog JUST JUMPED OUT THE CAR! (Hope it's OKAY!)

....and of course, the dog then rushed us. As their second dog leaped out the window! Now, we kept calm since we didn't want their energy level to escalate, because the last thing I would want is a fight! But as their second dog rushed around towards my pup Beau, their FIRST dog also lunged for him! And that's when momma Sandra snatched him by the side of his neck and simply lay her body down to keep him still- she didnt tug on him or thrash, or try to fight. Meanwhile, I'm having to rotate Beau around to avoid the second dog!

Where were the owners!?

Well, the man just stood there...WATCHING. YES, watching! What in the xxxx was he waiting for- I HAVE NO IDEA. And his girlfriend wasnt much help either! It was actually a neighbor who came out and grabbed one of the dogs, and my boyfriend had to yell at the people to grab their other dog who kept going for my pup!

Once they had both of their dogs I began to walk away, and my boyfriend simply told Sandra "let go" and she did so without hesitation and without even looking back at the dogs...we kept walking home.

But what had me so furious was the irresponsibility of these owners! Especially being a pit owner, I understand how important it is to be extra careful, we don't need anymore people being afraid of our pets. BETTER YET, we don't need any people owning these dogs, who can't handle them.

To begin with, their dogs had no collars or leashes on. Whenever my dogs are in the car, they are leashed and collared. If EVER the window is down more than enough for their head to stick out, you can trust I'm holding them on my lap with their leash in hand! I'm always worried they're gonna somehow fall out and I'd rather be safe than sorry!

Aah, It was just so disappointing today for that to have happened...and I always freak out how other people are going to react and such. On top of that, I'm hoping that situation doesn't effect my pup Beau too much...he's still pretty impressionable and I don't want him to feel like he's got to be on guard around other dogs constantly.

Very upset & disappointed...with those people, with what this "shows" for the breed, and with how this could affect my own dogs.

Sorry for the essay, guess I killed time for whoever decided to read this all, heh -.-;;

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
What a scary and stressful situation. :( I'm happy to hear everyone came out of it ok, but you're right to be upset about it. People like that ruin things for the rest of us who have dogs, let alone those of us who have dogs with a bad rep. What a shame!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's gonna be cuddle up in bed with the puppies night.
they deserve some cuddling.

Ah, and of course 10 minutes after, on our way back home still.. a lady with a yorkie walks AROUND us and says
"oh my dogs must be appetizers for yours!" -_-

and I'm just thinking to myself that it was a good thing she wasn't walking around a bit earlier! at least I feel we were able to handle it fairly well given the chaos. If those dogs would have jumped out at a yorkie or any other small dog, it might have been worse.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
and I'm just thinking to myself that it was a good thing she wasn't walking around a bit earlier! at least I feel we were able to handle it fairly well given the chaos. If those dogs would have jumped out at a yorkie or any other small dog, it might have been worse.
Exactly. I think people are right to be cautious with small dogs, as you do hear horror stories of bigger dogs killing them (and not just pits!) But it must be tough sometimes that your well socialized and behaved dogs get associated with the "nasty and bad" pits that are in the headlines. It's a shame.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Sounds to me that the guy got off on his dogs attacking yours and owns a pit for all the wrong reasons. You really should have reported the guy because I don't know about your city but here we have leash laws and if your dog isn't controlled on a leash when it's out of the house you can be fined. If you would have had a different dog it might have been mauled and killed. If you wouldn't have known how to react, it might have been one of the two of you injured. Things like that are just absolutely a result of ignorant people.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there was unfortunately a small pomeranian in my neighborhood that was attacked by a lose pitbull, needless to say it didn't pull through. Pit bulls have just become so common and available to anyone that they easily fall into the wrong hands. =(

"breeders" trying to make a quick buck will sell pups in our local paper from anywhere between $100 to more than a THOUSAND dollars. This isn't even a registered breed, they offer no health screens or guarantees, NOTHING. People just wanting money.

My pup Beau actually loves small dogs, and it's not the prey drive in him- he likes the small dogs to chase HIM lol. Which was sorta scary for this poor chihuahua that he kept trying to play with...meanwhile he was SCARED to play with this other labrador (yeah..go figure).

Of course, I always keep an eye on him..especially now because he's gotten so big. I worry he might accidently run over a little dog while playing or something, but i feel that CONCERN is necessary and a definetly a GOOD THING!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds to me that the guy got off on his dogs attacking yours and owns a pit for all the wrong reasons. You really should have reported the guy because I don't know about your city but here we have leash laws and if your dog isn't controlled on a leash when it's out of the house you can be fined. If you would have had a different dog it might have been mauled and killed. If you wouldn't have known how to react, it might have been one of the two of you injured. Things like that are just absolutely a result of ignorant people.
I agree completely with you. That's actually what was running through my mind, although it was HIS dog that got pinned- it was almost like he was waiting for a fight! ridiculous.

And go figure, my step-dad is actually the general manager of the community I live in, the second we got home I called him. He's taking care of it tomorrow. If a dog bites or attacks someone or another animal- they've got to go. Either get rid of the dog or the people can move. And being their dogs were off leash does put them at fault.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I agree w/ Kpoos and I'm glad you reported them. There is no excuse for that situation. I'm not a pittie owner (though I do love them); I own a Rottie. It's infuriating to do things the responsible way and then see others putting their dogs and mine in jeopardy. I'm glad your two are okay!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I'm glad to hear that your animals came out of that safe and I'm sure you're spoiling them with attention now xD
((more so then normal ^_^ ))

I know if Elphie and I ever came into that situation alone I'd probably shield her with myself v.v;

I saw the name of this thread and it reminded me of a thing I read on AOL today
its completely disturbing

http://news.aol.com/article/sharon-mcdonough-accused-of-killing/758109?icid=main|main|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.com%2Farticle%2Fsharon-mcdonough-accused-of-killing%2F758109

That woman in the story is disgusting in my opinion v.v;

·
Registered
741 Posts
omg thats horrible.... hope your dogs are ok now as well, as a former big breed owner a rottie i know how horrible it is when ppl see you and say thing likes oh you will be having him for lunch..

once at work i had a lady freak out because she had brought her yorkie in for a groom seen my rottie and sid keep that thing away from my dog.. i said that she was mine and i wouldnt bring her to work if she was any threat to your dog..

dibbles my old girl got attcted only once in her life by a border terrier who ripped her ear she just stood there not knowing what to do bless her she was such a gentle sole

·
Registered
315 Posts
If a dog tried to kill my dog I'd probably kill it...
When ever I go for walks I keep a knife in my sleeve.
(It's a nice neighbor hood but there has been several kidnapers and one child molester around here and often my 5yr old cousins are with me when I walk Cassie so I don't take chances) (((No I don't go in stores and stuff with my knife ._. Just when I'm taking long walks)))

Sorry I know that sounds mean but it goes against my principals to risk my dog dieing. If I cant move cassie away or break them apart that other dog is gonna have to go.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
omg thats horrible.... hope your dogs are ok now as well, as a former big breed owner a rottie i know how horrible it is when ppl see you and say thing likes oh you will be having him for lunch..

once at work i had a lady freak out because she had brought her yorkie in for a groom seen my rottie and sid keep that thing away from my dog.. i said that she was mine and i wouldnt bring her to work if she was any threat to your dog..

dibbles my old girl got attcted only once in her life by a border terrier who ripped her ear she just stood there not knowing what to do bless her she was such a gentle sole
Yeah, I brought my pittie pup to work with me when he was about 10weeks old and this "professional dog sitter" started freaking out and pulling her mini schnauzers away from (the schnauzers were bigger than my pittie -_-)

I LOVE Rotties! They're such big teddy bears. Oh well though, the people who fear these dogs are missing out! =]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If a dog tried to kill my dog I'd probably kill it...
When ever I go for walks I keep a knife in my sleeve.
(It's a nice neighbor hood but there has been several kidnapers and one child molester around here and often my 5yr old cousins are with me when I walk Cassie so I don't take chances) (((No I don't go in stores and stuff with my knife ._. Just when I'm taking long walks)))

Sorry I know that sounds mean but it goes against my principals to risk my dog dieing. If I cant move cassie away or break them apart that other dog is gonna have to go.

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do to protect yourself or the ones you love (that includes your pet fambam!!)

I've unfortunately had to break up a few dogs fights before (boy, they were bad!) and I know that especially once you start hitting, kicking, or trying to pull a dog off another dog- it just redirects all their frustration even more to the other dog and often makes it worse. Hence, why I avoided that in this situation. Though I did kick my leg towards the dog that kept rushing my pup as a way of putting distance between them.

Of course, this was between dogs of nearly the same size...and fights can definetely turn very nasty. EHH, just the kinda stuff you don't really wanna think about.

Always better to be safe than sorry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts