Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are some photos of Iris, our Whippet, looking after Holly's 2008 litter of ten. She made her way into them when they were two weeks old, and within 36 hours, she was lactating and had enough milk to sustain them. This was the sweetest thing I had ever seen and Holly was delighted to have the help!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
OH MY GOSH!!! That is totally cool!! I'm blown away with how nature works sometimes!! It's pretty remarkable isn't it?! I can't believe she started lactacting, I've heard of this but never seen it, thanks so much for sharing... that's so neat!!! These pictures are giving me a puppy ache.... I think I need to go visit some puppies to get that feeling out of my system!!

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Isn't it wonderful? Iris had had a litter before, but her puppies were a year and a half old by the time Holly had her babies. It just made me weep, it was so precious! When Holly had the last litter, there were only five for Holly to look after, so Iris played with them and loved them up, but did not lactate this time. I guess she felt Holly didn't need help with so few.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you ever want one Locket, I can put you in touch with the premier breeder of Whippets here in Canada. You will never regret it if you get one!!!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Whippets are the best (ok... next to Poodles :biggrin:). Robin has been the best and sweetest dog. Where did Iris come from? Robin is from Doug and Mary Beth Arthur and Gail and Dean Wegner in Wisconsin.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Iris and her predecesor Asia both came from Lorricbrook Whippets here in Ontario. Max Magder, an international all breed judge was the founder, and Jenny McCartney was handed the reins a few years ago after years of being involved with Max's Whippets and being mentored by him. She has a couple of Chelsea Whippets (Chelsea Ghiardelli is hers) and I believe her girl Tilly was the #1 Whippet in Canada last year.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Wow, how sweet and touching is that?? What a wonderful dog Iris is--and Holly too, for letting her help out. Thanks for sharing that, it brightened my dreary Sunday morning.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Thank you so very much for sharing those photos, Arreau! If we as people could only be so kind, loving and helpful to others. What a testiment that is to your dogs! Truly amazing!

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you so very much for sharing those photos, Arreau! If we as people could only be so kind, loving and helpful to others. What a testiment that is to your dogs! Truly amazing!
Our dogs are all crazy about one another and all other dogs and people. I have often said it is no coincidence that DOG is GOD spelled backwards. I think our maker would be VERY happy if we acted more like them sometimes!!! Total acceptance of others differences and unconditional love!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Our dogs are all crazy about one another and all other dogs and people. I have often said it is no coincidence that DOG is GOD spelled backwards. I think our maker would be VERY happy if we acted more like them sometimes!!! Total acceptance of others differences and unconditional love!

totally true!!

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Poodlelover...thank you. They warm mine too and can still make me cry and I was here watching the whole thing. I just couldn't get over the tenderness of Iris' heart and Holly's complete acceptance of what was happening.

Heather....this human race needs a lot of work, doesn't it??? The canines seem to have it all figured out.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
How wonderful!! I love it when another animal will step in and help with the whelping. I raised siamese cats for a while many years ago. I'll never forget the father getting into the box and caring for the kittens while mom took a break. I had never seen anything like that before then. Of course, it was a disappointment for the kittens when they went to feed!! LOL

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That is wonderful Spoospirit. The boys here are curious, and like to stick their heads over the side of the box to make sure everything is okay, but they don't care to get in while they are young. Wiz however LOVED playing with them once they reached the six week mark. He would tippy toe around, loving their energy and exuberance. He would tear around the deck and dog run for an hour with them, then the little ones would conk out and you wouldn't hear a peep out of them for HOURS!!!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts