Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found out this week that my toy poodle Casey has iris atrophy. I’ve been told there’s really nothing I can do for it but every time he goes outside or gets in bright light he is squinting and it must not feel very good for him.
Does anyone know where I can get glasses or goggles for him? I’m looking for something that’s light weight since he’s only 9 pounds.Has anyone had to buy glasses or goggles for their pup?

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts
Reactions: Vita

·
Premium Member
6,984 Posts
My first toy Baby had eye issues, she hated her doggles she hated clothes too but you can get them and try them out.
I hope you brought your pup Casey to an opthtmalogist to make sure that it is only iris atrophy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My first toy Baby had eye issues, she hated her doggles she hated clothes too but you can get them and try them out.
I hope you brought your pup Casey to an opthtmalogist to make sure that it is only iris atrophy.
No...I did not consult an Opthalmologist....what are you thinking of?

·
Premium Member
6,984 Posts
An opthmalogist specializes in eyes a regular vet dies not, also I would think PRA or progressive retinal atrophy it is heredity in some poodles

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts
These descriptions underline why twyla mentions being seen by a veterinary ophthalmologist to be positive of the diagnosis:

Because this is a common condition associated with aging, iris atrophy on its own is not something that is treated (but if your dog is squinting severely in the sun you might want to consider helping them out by giving them goggles that protect them from the sun and act like sunglasses).

However, the same signs and symptoms can also exhibit in more serious conditions such as cranial nerve abnormalities, Horner's syndrome, glaucoma and PRA, among others where treatment may be available and needed.

If you notice any of these signs, be sure to make an appointment with a professional for a full diagnosis, and as recommended above, annual eye exams are the best tool available to make sure you catch an eye condition as early as possible.

This can be as a result of normal aging or, if due to a secondary type, because of chronic inflammation or high intraocular pressure, which is often associated with glaucoma.

Reactions: a2girl
1 - 7 of 7 Posts