Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I took my 12 week old pup in for his second set of shots this week. Everything checked out great outside of our boy having inverted canines on the bottom, which they recommend we extract so the adult teeth grow in properly. Has anyone dealt with this before? my thought was his puppy teeth would fall out anyway but apparently pulling them out would give better chance of adult ones coming in right. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Porkchop is correct. If the tooth or teeth are positioned so that they're contacting tissue they shouldn't be, then you'll want to get that taken care of.

I'm not medically trained, but I read that as the adult tooth starts developing, the pressure of it's growth is what causes the deciduous tooth's roots to resorb.

If they're saying that the adult tooth bud is already in place and that place is the wrong place, then action sooner could be in order. Did they do an xray?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They don’t seem to be hitting the top gums, he doesn’t seem to be in pain and eats/chews/plays with no issues so far.

·
Registered
549 Posts
When Zephyr was a puppy he had one inverted canine. His breeder said my vet would probably tell me to pull it, but that I should just leave it be and the adult tooth would come in just fine. My vet did say to pull it, I did leave it, and the adult tooth is just fine.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Mia also had linguoverted canines. I've posted about it before. It's common in poodles because of the narrow muzzle. Yes, have them pulled, then let him play with dog-appropriate balls and toys (they call it "Ball Therapy"). 99% of the time the adult teeth grow in perfectly.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Lacey didn’t have inverted canines, but she retained all 4 of them. The bottom adult canines came in on the inside of the puppy canines, and the puppy teeth just wouldn’t budge. She was eating the same as normal and didn’t seem to be in pain. But one day I checked the roof of her mouth and saw one of the lower adult canines poking into the roof of her mouth. There was a dent(wound) in the roof of her mouth.
So at 8 months old I took her to have the retained puppy teeth removed. I was concerned that those lower adult canines wouldn’t move outward to the correct position and my vet just said “wait and see.” She chewed some Kong toys and within a month her teeth were in good position.

im not a vet but honestly I wouldn’t have them removed (any time soon). I’d wait to see if they fall out on their own. If not, as long as you get the teeth removed within a couple months of all the adult teeth coming in it shouldn’t cause any long term issues and the adult teeth should move to the correct position normally. You want to avoid an unnecessary surgery for sure.

·
Registered
366 Posts
This is called base narrow canines and is common in some lines of Standards with more refined headpieces and also because the lower jaw generally grows slower than the top. One of mine had it. I had to have the puppy teeth pulled because they were puncturing the roof of her mouth. When the adult canines came in, they were also inside of the correct placement and were starting to make some contact with the roof. My regular vet and I had been monitoring, but at that point I saw a board certified canine dentist at my local specialty practice for evaluation. In my dog's case, they thought that a combination of ball therapy as well as "pushing out" on the teeth by exerting pressure from the inside several times a day for a couple minutes in each session would correct it, which it did. That is not always the case, and some dogs wind up needing braces, etc. It is something I would stay on top of. I've heard of people who didn't because they thought it would just self-correct or waited too long to do something about it and wound up having to have the top of the lower canines shaved off and capped, or even the lower canines extracted. Which is something you really don't want to do as far as bone loss and jaw stability. Do some research on the internet, I did a lot when going through it and there are numerous articles out there....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts