Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here he is!!!! Little Orville Pop Pop Redenbacher!

OMG... he is adorable. it's been a hectic day.. great drive out into the country..

Snoops seemed a little bit apprehensive today. He knew something was up. Got to the breeder's house ... little Orville was hiding under the chair. SO ADORABLE! Finally got him out and he piddled on the floor... AWWWWWWW! :lol: Snoops and him sniffed each other, checked things out then away we went!

In the car, the 2 seemed to get along until I picked up Orville. Snoops certainly didn't like sharing his mommy! Snoops growled and snapped a few times. YIKES! I was definitely worried. Once we got home tho, they got to know each other and have been carrying on like best buds! Orville was crying a few times and Snoops went round to make sure his little bro was ok. He seemed to be genuinely concerned. Snoops has been playing with Orville and they had a bath as well. Little Orville is exhausted! I had to stop them so that Orville wouldn't get too worn out.
I expect that they will have some conflicts but so far they seem to getting on famously! They even shared some toys. :)

My concern tho.. Orville has roundworm. The breeder and her vet mentioned that he has been dewormed 3 times... just a second ago a worm fell out of his butt. He has not pooped yet. He is very bloated.

Anyone have advice here about roundworm? What's the chance Snoops can get it from being near Orville? He takes Interceptor so I hope Snoops will be ok. I HATE WORMS!!!

Anyway.. there will be tons of photos to come! I love his smile.. just like his big brother :D They share alot of similar traits, and many differing characteristics. I guess I was sorta expecting Orville to be the same puppy Snoops was... Orville is way more hyper than Snoops was as a puppy!

I'm so happy to have him as part of the family.. I told Snoops it is his birthday pressie since he is turning 1 year old next weekend :party:

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I am in love.
What a perfect pair!

Congratulations to you and Snoop!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
How sweet! I'm so excited for you guys!

When the greyhound had worms (it seemed like we could NEVER get rid of them!), The Fiance called the vet and told them that we were 99.9% he had worms AGAIN, and had been wormed at his previous vet visit a few weeks before. They said, "Okay, come on in." We were less than thrilled. Anyway, instead of having to bring him in and have to pay for an exam fee + meds, they sold us the pill to worm him ourselves. It was like $7. We had to worm the greyhound (I would say) at least 4 times. The vet told us that as long as our other dogs weren't eating his poop (which was possible... I do own a poop eater) they should be fine, but if we wanted to give them the pill too, it wouldn't hurt them.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
He's so CUTE! I'm so excited they are getting along. Pop Pop will be glad to have a big brother show him the ropes.

Congrats on your new addition.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Awwww what a sweetie, congrats!

Don't you have to worm several times on a schedual to get rid of worms? Like once a week for three weeks and then again in... however long it is. I was never good at remembering I rely on the instructions printed on the bottle for strongid from the vet. I honestly don't know a lot about wormies, we don't ever seem to have issues with them *knock on wood* Saleen had worms when we brought her home so she got the same stuff Mr wonderful was getting. Anyway, I'm sure the vet can tell you and he'll be worm free in no time.

·
Registered
77 Posts
They are such a cute pair!! How exciting!!

We went through the roundworm ordeal with Lucy when bringing her home. The breeder had also said she'd been wormed 3 times and her stomach was very bloated. The vet said that some deworming meds are not strong enough and there is a 2-3 week cycle with the worms and eggs. We were told that the intercepter kills the worms but another med had to be taken in 2 or 3 weeks to kill the eggs. It was a powder to put in her food for 2 days. But also, the vet said that the eggs can stay on their fur and that is what is transfered and to make sure we wash our hands, etc.. Also to be careful when she licks herself and then us. Maybe both of them can be on the meds to make sure. My daughters dog kept getting round worm from digging the grass up and the other one never got them from him. At least it won't take long to get rid of them!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok! The dogs are resting! Phew.. that means I have a few minutes to sneak on line here... haha!

Thanks ya'll for the compliments and the info about the de-worming, etc... Snoops and Orville are very appreciative!!!!

Oh my gosh... 2 dogs.. what a handful. I am exhausted.. not to mention I am still fighting a cold. They have been getting along still.. playing, chasing... it's very cute. Orville is not potty trained at all so this is proving to be quite a challenge. Such a different pup from Snoops when I got him!
I tried to put the 2 together in their kennel carrier - practicing for our flight. Snoops settled in but then Orville was jumping on him so Snoops snapped and growled. YIKES! I am so nervous about this flight.. what am I going to do?! I was thinking of trying to sneak Orville on in a purse-like carrier.

His worms seem to be clearing up. He pooped this morning and I noticed some worms. Then he pooped this afternoon and it was clear. Snoops seemed to have a bit of loose bowels this morning.. dunno if it was from all the treats he got yesterday or all of the change and excitement going around.. or a combo of it all. I pray that Snoops does not catch anything from Orville! :(

Seems Orville had a cold about 2 weeks ago and it is clearing up. He still has a cough and I am/was worried that it was the roundworms - seems they can work their way into the airway/throat and can also cause pneumonia :(
Anyway.. do ya'll think I should take him to a vet tomorrow? I was thinking it would be good to get the deworming meds, and something for Snoops as an extra precaution. OR can it wait a few days til we get home to Texas?

Also - how rough should I let these 2 play? Snoops loves playing tug o war with Orville and wrassling with him. Orville is just a wee little guy tho.. he keeps doing these cute combat rolls and submissive puppy rolls onto his back. Poor thing. When should I butt in and stop Snoops? He does snarl and what not.. it sounds vicious but then it is the same snarl he does when we play tug o war. I can't tell when enough is enough... any suggestions here?

I can't believe.. they are still asleep!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Orville probably has a touch of kennel cough, I'd honestly take him in tomorrow just to be sure. :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He was vet checked while at the breeders about a week ago, and then wellness vet checked again this past Friday by the same vet - I asked that he be checked to assure he could fly. The vet noted that Orville's chest sounded clear.... he seems to cough most after running around alot with Snoops... :( also - he was on meds for his cold... I need to ask what meds they were...

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I have no clue when enough is enough. I've wondered that myself. I know Snoops will teach him what the rules are and that is a good thing (if it's not too rough).

If you go to the vet, I would ask them about suggesting some meds for little Orville to fly on (like a little benydryl). Something to help his ears if he is congested and help him relax on his trip home (Snoops will owe you one!). I don't believe in sedation myself, but I think benydryl might be good. Ask your vet what they think. It might not be good for such a young one.

Do you have more pictures?!?!?!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks BFF - my b/f had also suggested a bit of Benadryl. I will speak with my vet about it and will carry some with me. I would like to avoid giving him meds if possible. I think he will be ok.. but we shall see!

The worms seem to be running it's course and are being expelled. Orville's tummy is a bit gurgly but is much less bloated and no more gas. What a relief! Worms are so tricky to deal with! His cough has much improved as well. Last night he also pooped on his pad for the first time! I was so proud of him :) He knows the general area (in the hallway) where he should potty. But he always fails to head to the pad. In time.. I know.

Snoops and him are still getting along. Orville slept in his carrier and Snoops in his usual spot in bed with me. Orville came on the bed for a bit and Snoops got sad/jealous and snuggled up as close to me as possible. Such a sweetheart! It breaks my heart that Snoops may be feeling blue. I am showering him with love and loving Orville as well. I have very conflicting feelings at times! We had gone out for dinner last night as well. I left Orville in his carrier at home, and Snoops on his perch on the couch. I was hoping Snoops would lay with Orville.. but this did not happen. When we got home.. I ran straight to Orville. Then I felt guilty because I would ALWAYS run to Snoops first. This was the first time ever I had overlooked Snoops :(

I will admit - it has taken me these past few days to really warm up to Orville. I guess I have post-partum.. haha! With Snoops, it was just me and him so it was easy to love him completely and only him - he had my undivided attention. With Orville, it's a bit different. I do adore him tho and each day my love for him grows. I think also, I am just stressed about traveling. Once that is over and done with I think it will be easier.

Anyway, after I had put him back in his carrier to sleep, I fell asleep again. I woke up about an hour later, startled and freaked out about where Orville was. I thought I had lost him in the bed! Then I realized he was next to me in his carrier. haha.. what's happening to me?! Total new mommy syndrome!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is Orville in the kangaroo pouch.. he loves to sit in front of the laptop and watch TV! couch potato.. haha! more pics to come once I upload them from the camera...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts