Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

I am a new standard poodle owner. My husband and I picked our first ever brown standard poodle puppy last Tuesday from Leatherstocking Kennel. We are thrilled to have Gorky. Here are pictures of Gorky at almost 8 weeks old.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Ohhhh! What a cute little darling. I love his color and his sweet little face. Congratulations on your new little baby. He will grow up fast.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your pictures.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My husband and I are both artists, so we named our poodle after an abstract expressionist visual artist whom we both like.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the kind words about Gorky. We live in Groton, New York near Ithaca.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Ha, ha! I believe I have some pictures of Gorky!! I and my sister, Dianne, got two puppies from Leatherstocking. While I was there a week or so ago, I photographed the puppies that were sold and there was this lovely chocolate male that I would have loved to have. I think it's Gorky.

My little girl, Taffy, is now 5 months old and is a dark apricot like Kismet, her dad. Dianne's brand new baby that we picked up last week is a solid black that their son had bred and is 8 weeks old. Her name is Ivy and she is just a little doll.

I love Gorky's looks. Wish they had another chocolate like that.

BTW, welcome to the forum. We already have something in common!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you have the photographs of Gorky. I would so like to see them. Your poodle is so beautiful. Before joining the forum I have been reading postings and I noticed your pup.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also got Gorky from the breeder"s son. He must be from the same litter as your sister's puppy. We are somewhat related after all.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
LOL We just realized that while we were talking on the phone!! He is Ivy's brother!!!! He looks just like her except for his muzzle. He is so beautiful!! Dianne will post pictures of Ivy as soon as she can. She is very busy at work right now.

Please check your pup for health issues. Ivy went to the vet today and has round worms, conjunctivitis in one eye, and an infection in her urinary tract. We have never had this happen before with the breeder and Dianne is contacting him about it. I'm sure he will take care of it as the vet bill was quite expensive. We only picked her up last Thursday so we know she came with these issues.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! Yep, Gorky is Ivy's brother. He said there was one brown male that the people who were getting him named Gorky...lol. Neat name. :) Gorky is soooo handsome and what a lovely brown color. This will be interesting for both of us to be able to watch brother and sister grow and how much they look alike or not look alike as they mature. This is GREAT!

Yeah, Ivy went to the vet today and we found a few situations that are being cared for immediately. Other than her few issues, she is an absolutely WONDERFUL PUP!! I don't know how Gorky is but Ivy has not had ANY accidents in the house nor overnight in the crate. She sleeps all night (but she does sleep with Grace for company for a couple weeks to allow her to get used to her new home). She follows me everywhere, has already learned to sit and wait for her dish of food to be put down and learned the stairs in two little lessons. She is one smart cookie and has quite a cute, sassy personality.

Well, anyway,welcome again to you and your beautiful Gorky.

I will be starting a thread shortly here on Ivy with pics of her in the photo section. :)

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is great that Gorky and Ivy are brother and sister. We have not had any health issues except for worms. Beside a nail of one of Gorky's paws seems injured from either clipping or grinding which we have to check out. He seems sensitive on that paw for someone touching it. We are new to training any puppies, but Gorky is pretty much house trained and holds it in at night. The first few nights were difficult, but we have no other pets at home. He also walks up and down stairs and is growing and growing. His legs are getting sturdier and sturdier. We weighed him at the vets when he was 71/2 weeks old and he was 11.6 lbs. A whooper. I wonder what he weighs now. He sure looks bigger. He obeys the sit command. He waits before going out of the door. He is teething up a storm as I suspect is normal. We love him dearly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts