Poodle Forum banner

Introduction - Poodleless now but plan to adopt another in the near future

4K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  spoospirit 
#1 ·
Hi there,

I would like to introduce myself, my name is Jewels and I live in California. I recently lost my wonderful standard poodle at age 14. She was the love of my life and miss her so much. We had 14 amazing years together and I cherish every single memory. I will soon begin the process of searching for my next companion. I thought I would join this forum to keep in touch with poodle lovers and enjoy your stories while I am missing having one around.

#2 ·
So sorry for your loss... :( I'm just beginning my standard poodle journey with my nearly 6 month old Lucybug and already I can't imagine life without her... Maybe you'll find your next best friend through the members here on the forum!! Welcome!

#5 ·
Aww so sorry. I think you have come to a good place! There are many adoption referrals and breeders here. I hope you get some company soon! I cannot imagine life w/out a poodle!

#6 ·
Thanks to you all for the warm welcome. Life without a poodle is a little lonely, but I am blessed with a wonderful husband and super horse. My friends all say we have great animal karma since all of our pets have turned out to be outstanding, so I am certain a special poodle will enter our family soon.

#7 ·
Welcome Jewels.
I'm sorry for your loss as well. Although she lived a good long life, it's never long enough. Her memories will live on and they'll have you smiling again.

Where in California are you? I'm from Ventura... still call it home although I love living here in St George Utah now.

Glad you are here amongst other poodle lovers.
Karen

#11 ·
So sorry for your loss. I lost my special baby last March and it still hurts. My husband & daughter decided to get me a new spoo for Christmas. I love him to death. Hopefully you will find a new baby soon. Never can replace but helps to feel the void. I also own a horse and they sure have big shoulders to cry on uh? It's a good thing mine can't talk he knows most of my secrets. :)

#13 ·
Thanks to you all for the warm welcome here. My husband and I are just starting to think about another Poodle companion. Our special girl is a hard act to follow and we realize that our next one will be different and will never take her place, but we want a very special dog. Our pets are important members of our family so we will be looking for just the right fit. Our first two poodles were ex-show dogs which worked out great for us since we are not sure we have the time to properly train a young puppy. It is great to hear about all of your wonderful dogs. It is really inspiring me to start the search. I love to groom and really miss having a poodle to fuss over.

#14 ·
If I can help...

We have 6-8 black Standard puppies coming around mid-March. This is a very strategic breeding pedigree wise and both parents have CHIC numbers. The pups won't leave quickly because I'm so afraid of any of them going to a less than loving home. I may still have pups when they are 3 months old for that reason. They will all be treated as show pups day one since we intend to keep a couple to show and in the beginning you don't know which ones will be staying. My big preference is to sell to folks who know Standards and what's involved in being owned by one, so that's why I'm responding in this fashion. I'm also in California.

#15 ·
We have 6-8 black Standard puppies coming around mid-March. This is a very strategic breeding pedigree wise and both parents have CHIC numbers. The pups won't leave quickly because I'm so afraid of any of them going to a less than loving home. I may still have pups when they are 3 months old for that reason. They will all be treated as show pups day one since we intend to keep a couple to show and in the beginning you don't know which ones will be staying. My big preference is to sell to folks who know Standards and what's involved in being owned by one, so that's why I'm responding in this fashion. I'm also in California.
I mean no offense by this but you might want to check with the admin before you start soliciting your puppies. I mean you haven't said who you are, what your kennel name is or anything. You just sort of jumped in and started talking about what you are selling. That's not what this forum is about, mostly pet owners here looking for help with their poodles. Good luck finding homes for your puppies.

#16 ·
Selling pups

Okay, so I have a list of prospective new homes longer than what we think are the number of pups. I titled this "If I can help" and meant it that way. Only a couple of the folks on my list really know Standards and what's entailed so this still seems to me like it could/might be a win-win. I don't need an outlet for the pups but am quite wary of where they go. I think you can understand.

#18 ·
If I can help

No - I joined then but didn't "catch" that you have to do the initial posting before you're active and so it was a hibernating place for me until tonight actually. Anyway, do check Levade Standard Poodles fan page on Facebook
and you'll see more about me.

#19 ·
No - I joined then but didn't "catch" that you have to do the initial posting before you're active and so it was a hibernating place for me until tonight actually. Anyway, do check Levade Standard Poodles fan page on Facebook
and you'll see more about me.
Yeah I found the Levade name on poodlepedigree but under the owner name of Arlene Deis not Dagny. Was that your mom?

#20 ·
Levade Standard Poodles

No, it was/is me. I began using Dagny Reis as Dagny has been my nickname my entire life since I was born in Norway though Arleen was my legal name, so I decided to stick with Dagny now but didn't want to give up Levade (which is the name of a dressage movement) as a kennel name because I was successful before.

#21 ·
No, it was/is me. I began using Dagny Reis as Dagny has been my nickname my entire life since I was born in Norway though Arleen was my legal name, so I decided to stick with Dagny now but didn't want to give up Levade (which is the name of a dressage movement) as a kennel name because I was successful before.
I saw you had a few champions under the name Levade. Are you still showing? You mentioned in another thread showing. Was that poodles or another breed?

#22 ·
To show or not to show

Yes, I produced champions - more than seen on Poodle Pedigree. My process is to produce at least one Champion from each litter. I produced more in the old days, but I'm 70 years old and have a bad ankle. Though I REFUSE to limp I can't handle a Standard flying around the ring and actually was not that good past puppy classes back then anyway, so one per year is it. I do it to prove that when I produce levelheaded, happy, loving pets as a main goal they're still pretty enough to win. Once I get the Ch. I quit - I have no interest in campaigning a Poodle - it's too political and I'm too apt to say what I think once too often..............

#24 ·
Oh, I don't love the showing. I do it only to prove my strategy. I love the breeding; it's like a scientific puzzle and you're breeding a long pedigree to another long pedigree, not a dog to another dog. Then all the testing to be as
sure as you can that genetic diseases are as far back as possible - like neonatal encephalopathy w/seizures (we used to call it "failure to thrive") - my
bitch is clear and won't pass it on either. I have no genetic diseases in back of this litter close enough to be a threat, so now the challenge is to breed a bitch out of this litter at two - where to find a dominant black stud dog with the right pedigree that's equally clean genetically AND is likely to pass on a correct eye, a REAL chin, great front and rear, on and on............ But that's what this old lady loves!

#25 ·
There have been a lot of contentious threads on the forum lately with breeders. To keep everything on an even playing field, I would appreciate it if you would post the AKC names of our dogs so that members and administrators can check them out to make sure that everything is Kosher. Please don't take offense at this. You are not, by any means, being singled out. We are asking everyone for a complete introduction; especially breeders due to the amount of trouble there has been here.

It is much appreciated that you have given a link to your Facebook account but a little more would be desirable.

Debbie, Deputy Sheriff

#27 ·
Identity

My bitch's name is Teller Espree Bright Smile, CHIC # 61999, verifiable at the
OFA site.

I hope a civilized dialogue is possible in this forum. I'm staying because I've had extremely supportive private messages (several were Facebook messages once I posted about that fan page), but it's never a good sign when too many are private.

#28 ·
Thank you very much for the registered name. This will help a lot of other breeders and interested buyers do their research.

We are doing our best to keep the threads in breeding civilized. I am sure you can have a good discussion with sensible people. As soon as a thread goes bad, send a pm to one of the admins. and it will be dealt with immediately to get it back on track. It is almost always a thread regarding red poodles that we have the trouble with.

We are looking forward to you sharing your knowledge and experience with us.

#30 ·
Great question! There is much debate about the reds and improving them to conform more to the AKC standard. Many breeders are breeding for color only without thought for the betterment of the breed as a whole. It is mainly because this appears to be the new designer color that everyone one wants and instead of careful programs, some people are pumping them out for the $$$. We have some good breeders of reds who are trying to get the whole package. Debates have gotten pretty heated and too personal; which, of course, is against forum rules. It has led to closing of threads and banning some members unfortunately. Banning is always a last resort if we can't get someone to bring themselves under control.

At least, this is my take on the whole red debate debacle. In these debates, there has been some very good information. It's just upsetting when you find yourself wading through pages of junk to find the good stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.