Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone :)

I have a new Red male Standard Poodle puppy. He is currently 14 weeks old and I got him when he was 12 weeks old. He’s an absolute delight, and has already learned quite a few commands, and what they mean.
This is the second Standard Poodle I’ve had in my life and I absolutely love this smart, loyal, cuddly, gentle breed!

I look forward to learning new tips and tricks and also helping where I can :)

*I’m having a bit of trouble crate training my boy as he’s quite attached to me already.. If anyone has any tips I’d really appreciate it!*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
23,856 Posts
Here's another vote for crate games. It is important not to load the crate with bad vibes, but also requires a bit of tough love.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to you both for replying :)
I’ve watched some YouTube videos on this concept - very interesting! I think this will be great.
I’ve always had dogs in my life, and my parents always crate trained with the “tough love” and a radio on. So far with my baby, he will go into his crate and will lay down and settle down - as long as he can see me.. That’s what I’m struggling a lot with is that he won’t fall asleep unless I sit on the ground near the crate.
Once he falls asleep though, I can leave and he’s good through the night (unless he cries for me to let him out pee)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yes! Never use a crate for punishment. That’s one of the huuuge mistakes some people make.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Where’s your crate? If you’re wanting to go to sleep, have the crate by your bed. If you’re home but he needs some crate time, move the crate to the room you’re in. I’ve found that they’re much more tolerant of the crate if they don’t feel like they’re “missing out.” My latest pup had major “FOMO”... fear of missing out but was still successfully crate trained!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I started off with his crate being in the dining room and since I got him (June 3rd) I’ve been sleeping in the next room so I can hear him. I’d turn the music on softly to classical music and he would be totally fine falling asleep - as long as I was sitting with him.. Then once he would fall asleep soundly, I’d quietly move to the next room.
He typically then would sleep through the night until morning. Problem is, if he would wake up and I’m not there for him to visually see, he would start whining.. I really have no problem having his crate in the same room with me at night - the thing I’m most worried about is if I ever have to go somewhere during the day, I don’t want him to have separation anxiety while being in his crate because I’m not there. I want him to love his “home” just like all my other dogs have.
So far he gets very whiny when he’s in another room even out of his crate, and I’m not in there with him (working on that too!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts