Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I'm looking at getting a poodle and have done a ton of research! I'm a poodle newbie but trying to prepare myself to give a new dog a fantastic home. I've tried to research carefully about breeders. I have found one that has a stellar reputation on this site and other places and breeds titled show dogs. I noticed today it appears that earlier this year two of the same lady dogs were bred at the beginning of the year that will be expecting puppies later this year. Should this be cause for concern? I just wanted to check on standard practice in terms of frequency of breeding to make sure I was supporting practices that are most healthy for the dogs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Hi, and welcome!
It’s usually common practice and recommended for a breeder to give a dam at least a one heat cycle long break before breeding them again. So I suppose it would depend on how long the dog has been between heat cycles. Dogs do come into heat about once every six months, and sometimes every four months for smaller breeds. What variety of Poodle is it, and when did the dogs have their puppies last?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Minis! It looks like the last litter arrived at the end of January and the next one will arrive at the end of August. Everything else I've learned about this breeder definitely checks out, but I wanted to inquire about that detail after I learned it.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I've heard two opinions on this. One is that it's better to give them a heat cycle in between so her body has a chance to rest. Another thought is that it's better to breed more frequently because unbred heat cycles can result in pyometra which is life threatening. Additionally, a breeder that breeds frequently may retire a dog earlier, allowing her to produce litters when her body is younger and will bounce back more easily. Of course not every breeder may do things like this. Having a bitch produce back to back litters for five years is probably still indicative of a disreputable breeder.

Not being a breeder myself, I don't have much of an opinion on the matter. But I do know that there is controversy on this. I would not necessarily take it as a bad sign.

·
Super Moderator
5,733 Posts
Welcome to Poodle Forum!

I've also sought answers on this and couldn't find consensus. So in the context of a responsible breeding program, it doesn't seem like a red flag to be. I'd be more interested in how many times, total, they plan to breed her, her age, and what her living conditions are like.

Peggy's dam was retired after three litters.

·
Super Moderator
1,637 Posts
Some people believe it is healthier for the dam to do 2-3 back to back breedings and then retire. Others belive it is healthier for the dam to rest between cycles.

There is no such thing as a perfect breeder. What is important to you may not be important to someone else and vice versa. When choosing a breeder, I have a few criteria that are absolutely non-negotiable (like socialization and health) and put other characteristics (like show titles) into the nice to have category.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
While doing some confirmation checks on my Personal Breeder Requirements list I ran across this older thread here on PF.

which basically says "It depends" within certain limits.

Four (that I know) of PF's breeders weighed in on this one.

Reactions: Raindrops
1 - 7 of 7 Posts