Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Previously I introduced our wonderful silver beige miniature poodle Willow, who was a breeder surrender to rescue due to an unrepaired injury/deformity/medical costs. Willow's leg, once at risk of amputation, was fully restored at Cornell, so her full name is Saratoga's Willow Walks Well (which is a miracle). Willow has a very sweet temperament and is very intelligent - at 16 months, she has her CGC, CGCA, & CGC Urban Dog titles, and will test for Therapy Dog International on Oct. 26.

Sadly our little Maltese Maiori passed unexpectedly from cancer this summer. Since our 13 yo Maltese Amor has a heart condition (MVD/CTR), we wanted to make sure that Willow will have a companion in place when he passes (in some indeterminate future). We originally thought we'd look for a spoo - but after researching, decided we would prefer a smaller dog - and go with another mpoo. I was hoping to adopt an older female puppy or young adult, but these are rare in rescue - reputable breeders usually have a clause that their offspring be rehomed through them and not a shelter or rescue organization. After inquiring through Poodle channels (our groomer is a poodle handler who does show/conformation) - I took the advice to contact breeders to see who might have an older pup or young adult available - with a focus on temperament and disposition, not color, as the priority. We weren't able to adopt an older puppy - but it just so happened that a pup was available who had previously been reserved by someone who (luckily for us), changed their mind.

I'm happy to introduce our new family member, Kiki. Her full name is Glow Steadfast Lady Leia Aki. “Aki” or “ki” is Abenaki (an Algonquian native language) for earth - and she is the deep rich brown of our Adirondack forest earth. Kiki was lovingly raised by Gloria Koolsbergen near Montreal, Canada, who breeds champion miniature poodles for health and diversity. Kiki is on the (very) large size for a miniature, and will likely grow to the size of a small standard, called a “moyenne” or "klein" in Europe. Her sire is Am/Can Ch. Asa's Willy Wonka Glow Factory (medium to light brown), and her dam is Ch. Gulfbreeze Glow Oprah the Show Girl (black).

--Nicola
Willow, Amor and Kiki's Mom
Saratoga's Willow Walks Well (5-5-18) CGC, CGCA, CGCU, Silver Beige mpoo.
Glow Steadfast Lady Leia Aki (Kiki) (7-27-19), Brown mpoo
Amor by Valentine (7-2006), Maltese.

·
Premium Member
23,156 Posts
Aww the pics don't seem to have posted. Congrats and can't wait to see her.

Reactions: Nahama and Dechi

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try loading the photos in Tapatalk. The photo feature isn't working for me on the regular platform:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
She’s adorable! Love the name.

You’re not far from me, I’m in Clifton Park. I have a ten month old black mini named Gracie. When Kiki gets a little bigger, if you want to meet for a play date, just send me a PM, always looking for play dates for my energetic young girl!

Attachments

Reactions: Nahama

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Congratulations! She is absolutely darling :angel:and very pretty. You lucked out! Enjoy!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She’s adorable! Love the name.

You’re not far from me, I’m in Clifton Park. I have a ten month old black mini named Gracie. When Kiki gets a little bigger, if you want to meet for a play date, just send me a PM, always looking for play dates for my energetic young girl!

Hi Caroline,

Gracie is gorgeous! Sure, let's plan on a play date when Kiki is old enough to come out and about - we'll be waiting until she has finished her booster series. Our groomer is in Clifton Park.

Warmly, --Nicola

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congratulations! She is absolutely darling :angel:and very pretty. You lucked out! Enjoy!

Thank you! We were fully expecting to wait months for the right one, and were delighted to find her sooner.

Warmly, --Nicola

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She is beautiful... congratulations on your new puppy! You sure did luck out! (The pics in your first post worked for me but I am also on Tapatalk.)

Thanks! I'm seeing the photos in Tapatalk but not in the regular platform - it looks like my second post loading the images here worked better.

Warmly, --Nicola

·
Premium Member
4,099 Posts
She sure is cute - Congratulations. I'm sure you will have amusing tails with your new puppy.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
What a darling - you are all going to have lots of fun together!

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
She is quite the adorable lil girl! Best of luck with her. Also tory to hear of the passing of your lil maltese Maiori .

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Reactions: MaizieFrosty

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
She's a beauty. Congratulations.

Thank you! Her eyes are amazing - a clear amber-green.

Warmly, --Nicola

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What a darling - you are all going to have lots of fun together!

Thank you! When she's old enough she'll start obedience training, like Willow, and do the CGC series and Therapy Dog. I'll take her to basic agility as well to see if she likes that. We're lucky to have fabulous facilities and trainers nearby.

Warmly, --Nicola

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
She is quite the adorable lil girl! Best of luck with her. Also tory to hear of the passing of your lil maltese Maiori .

Thank you! Losing our Maltese girl Maiori was very unexpected and traumatic. She had a sudden small growth on her paw pad that looked like a bee sting. I sensed that it was more serious and immediately took her to the vet. The first two biopsies were inconclusive, but the third one showed that she had a very aggressive malignant tumor. Her paw was amputated, and she did fine with that, but then succombed to immune mediated hemolytic anemia - basically, her immune system attacked her red blood cells, and she did not respond to treatment. All this happened within a few short months (May-July). We miss her bossy but very sweet little self.

Warmly, --Nicola

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Just a caution...if you wait until all three of the puppy vaccines are complete, you'll bypass the window for the early critical socialization period. I recommend (via a few vets) to wait until 2 of the series are through and get your puppy out. (unless you know of any parvo out-breaks in your area...you can ask a vet) But be judicious in where you take her. For instance, not to the pet store or a dog park. But maybe around your neighborhood or places you know are other friendly adult dogs that have been vaccinated and visit people and different environments. Or invite someone over. This puppy will keep you busy. Have fun with her.:angel:

Oh yes, I am sorry for you loss. That is so tough. My heart goes out to you. It's the worst part of having pets, isn't it? It's really hard when it's so unexpected. It sounds like she didn't suffer though, for long at all. (((hugs)))

1 - 20 of 26 Posts