Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Miss Paris is a 13 year old standard poodle. She lives happily in a small town in Central Illinois. Her favorite activity is playing at the nearby state park, camping, and travel. I am a 70 year old poodle Mom, I have had standards for 22 years and as I see Miss Paris and myself aging I am afraid to get a new puppy. I am afraid I will not be able to keep up with the exercise requirements of a younger dog some years down the road. Miss Paris is still very active and keeps me walking every day, plus I adore her and the thought of loosing her and being without a poodle is heartbreaking. I am thinking the answer might be a 4 or 5 year old poodle that needs a home. I have taken in cats that have lost their family and I have adopted a 18 lb terrier dog and that has worked out well. Right now our household consists of 2 cats, a poodle and a terrier. We are pet owners, we have never shown or participated is sport.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Welcome to you and Miss Paris.

edited to add: Contact your local branch of The Poodle Club of America. The Breeders in your area will know each other and will have other contacts outside the area. They may know of a breeder who has an older poodle looking to retire or poodles returned because their family can’t keep them. They also have a rescue organization.

My current minipoo was almost a year old when I got her, she was a puppy kept by the breeders for conformation but she grew too big and they decided to focus on her sister. I was the lucky person who got to take home a gorgeous, sweet poodle who was already potty trained and socialized. I got her from the breeder.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Miss Paris is a 13 year old standard poodle. She lives happily in a small town in Central Illinois. Her favorite activity is playing at the nearby state park, camping, and travel. I am a 70 year old poodle Mom, I have had standards for 22 years and as I see Miss Paris and myself aging I am afraid to get a new puppy. I am afraid I will not be able to keep up with the exercise requirements of a younger dog some years down the road. Miss Paris is still very active and keeps me walking every day, plus I adore her and the thought of loosing her and being without a poodle is heartbreaking. I am thinking the answer might be a 4 or 5 year old poodle that needs a home. I have taken in cats that have lost their family and I have adopted a 18 lb terrier dog and that has worked out well. Right now our household consists of 2 cats, a poodle and a terrier. We are pet owners, we have never shown or participated is sport.
Hi rescue is a great gift. What you are thinking about I am doing too. I’m watching all poodle rescues for some baby that needs us and a forever home! There are so many out there that need a homé. P.S. I rescued a little terrior/Shihtzu mix Miss Chloe and she is 8. It is true what they say. “We don’t rescue them, they RESCUE US!” Best to you and your sweet Paris. Keep us posted! Happy Tails!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Welcome, Miss Paris!

For what it’s worth, I think dog ownership in our senior years is great. Very healthy. I’m not there yet, but my plan is to let a chosen breeder know I am looking for an older dog. Great breeders do their own rescue, never wanting a dog of their breeding to end up in a shelter or even in breed rescue.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Miss Paris: I have had 5 Standards in my life. In 2020, I lost two, Mika in February, and Sadie in December. I'm 75 years old, and was thinking what you are thinking. Then, a friend sent me a picture of Stephen Sondheim, at 95, walking his two Standards in the woods of Connecticutt. So, I've ordered a baby poodle, which should be here in February. Jack

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi rescue is a great gift. What you are thinking about I am doing too. I’m watching all poodle rescues for some baby that needs us and a forever home! There are so many out there that need a homé. P.S. I rescued a little terrior/Shihtzu mix Miss Chloe and she is 8. It is true what they say. “We don’t rescue them, they RESCUE US!” Best to you and your sweet Paris. Keep us posted! Happy Tails!
Our little Buddy is so delightful, we were the 4th home for him. I think no one had ever taken time to really make him their dog and to bond with him. He is all terrier and very different from Miss Paris, we love them both. i will think of a miniature but my heart is with a standard. Thank you for your comments. I am just starting this journey.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Miss Paris: I have had 5 Standards in my life. In 2020, I lost two, Mika in February, and Sadie in December. I'm 75 years old, and was thinking what you are thinking. Then, a friend sent me a picture of Stephen Sondheim, at 95, walking his two Standards in the woods of Connecticutt. So, I've ordered a baby poodle, which should be here in February. Jack
I am so sorry for your loss, loosing one is hard enough. Our dogs have become even more like our children since Covid. That said it is really great that you are expecting a baby! When my Max died I found a baby on the same day. That baby poodle was my Miss Paris, know around here as World's best dog. Poodles are high energy dogs, I want to be sure II am able to give the dog the exercise and varied sxperience it needs and deserves.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I am 66 years old, and while I am in good health, I will not get a dog that I can pick up and carry with one hand. One hand on the dog, the other on the railing or cane. I have older friends with large dogs that have had hard times because of the dog's size. "But, we like big dogs." Great, but because he is old or infirm, he can't get in the car and you can't lift him. You can't carry him down a few steps to the back yard, etc. I was able to lift and carry my border collie up the stairs, but had trouble going down the stairs because I needed both hands.

Consider getting a miniature. A miniature will be easier to exercise when you no longer are able to roam the state park. You can also put him in a carry on if you want to travel by bus or train.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am 66 years old, and while I am in good health, I will not get a dog that I can pick up and carry with one hand. One hand on the dog, the other on the railing or cane. I have older friends with large dogs that have had hard times because of the dog's size. "But, we like big dogs." Great, but because he is old or infirm, he can't get in the car and you can't lift him. You can't carry him down a few steps to the back yard, etc. I was able to lift and carry my border collie up the stairs, but had trouble going down the stairs because I needed both hands.

Consider getting a miniature. A miniature will be easier to exercise when you no longer are able to roam the state park. You can also put him in a carry on if you want to travel by bus or train.
[/QUOTEI am considering a miniature for all those reasons but I have found true miniatures hard to find.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts