Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! So it looks like we are adopting a new poodle! We actually got a call from a place we contacted weeks ago, and the only thing left to do is to see if the dogs get along. She is a 1 yo cream standard female. We met her a few days ago, and she is adorable and friendly, and she seemed to be great with our 3 kids. It's not 100% yet, as we have to have the dogs meet first. We will be meeting on neutral ground, so there are no territorial issues. Cricket is a very passive dog by nature, but I really am not sure how she will be once we bring the new dog home. We may be bringing her home as early as this weekend! I think more than anything she may be jealous. I really don't know! She could be fine, and I am worrying for nothing! (I hope!) Do you guys have any suggestions as to how I can make the transition easier for everyone, and how to alleviate territorial or jealousy issues? I would appreciate any tips you could give me! Thank you!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I don't have any advice on the territorial thing, but
thats so awesome that you finally may have found your 2nd spoo!!!
Congratulations in advance!!
^_^

·
Registered
562 Posts
Aww Congrats on the new future Spoo! I really hope it works out. I think they will get along perfectly. Your nright about doing the initial introduction on neutral ground and then maybe letting them play in an open field so they can interact more.
I wouldnt let your existing dog Cricket become too over protective of anything. Dont let her protect her bed, her kennel or her toys. Also make sure to pay equal attention to the dogs. Dont let Cricket feel like this new dog is a replacement or more important than her. If you go for a walk or a car ride take both of the girls.
I think it will just take a few days for them to get settled in and used to one another. Just remember that females are more dominant than males and two females is the worst combo...but with Spoos they are very even tempered dogs and you should be just fine.
Dont forget to post pics very soon!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Congrats! It's so exciting to add a new family member. And so soon too. :) I will keep my fingers crossed that the introduction goes well.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Fingers crossed :) The nuetral ground is an awesome idea. Watch the food dishes and favorite toys too... I know my spoos can get pretty ouchy over toys....

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
We brought our Cavalier along with us when we checked Flip out...and then introduced them in the yard, rather than the house.

It went fine, but Jack (the Cav) is ultra submissive.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I would pick up and put away all toys, chews, bones, etc. for a few days.

When I brought my second dog home... I would c/t Kiba whenever she was calm in the room with Stryder, c/t for sniffing him, looking at him, etc. to associate with new dog = yummy treats! They did have a few scuffs that first day, but moreso Kiba showing him the ropes and letting him know who's boss. (As long as there isn't any blood of course - then I'll seperate).

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Just remember that females are more dominant than males and two females is the worst combo...
My pack consists of four spayed females and they all get along with each other GREAT! But of course, they know that the humans are the bosses of the house and none of them try to get too dominant over the others... I've heard that females can be tricky in a pack, but I've never had anything but girls (all spayed) and I've never had a problem...

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Congratulations on your 'almost' new pale. :) I think it is an excellent idea to do all intros on neutral ground. I hope everything goes well for all of you, and if she works out, look forward to pics. :)

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Fingers crossed :) The nuetral ground is an awesome idea. Watch the food dishes and favorite toys too... I know my spoos can get pretty ouchy over toys....
Food dishes is excellent advice. They can get a little weird about food so you might have to feed one while blocking off the other one.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone! Everything has gone really fast! We have been approved, all that needs to happen is for the dogs to meet, and they are meeting tomorrow night! If all goes well, we could have our new spoo home by the weekend! I'm really excited! It's going to be a bit hectic, because it's holiday time, but I'm confident that all will work out. How do you all feel about changing a rescue dog's name? Her name is Molly, but the name is just not my style, plus I have a young cousin named Molly that comes over quite often. Do dogs adapt well to name changes, or should I keep it the same? Thanks! :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is the only pic I have of her...it's a bit grainy, because I tried to enlarge and enhance it. Isn't she a cutie??

Attachments

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Here is the only pic I have of her...it's a bit grainy, because I tried to enlarge and enhance it. Isn't she a cutie??
She is Darling ! You are so luck to have found her !!! It is truly a Christmas miracle for her and for you :)

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
shes beautiful redcricket!!

I think it should be easy to change her name, ^_^
Have you thought of any names for her?

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I'll add my agreement that it's OK to change names... I managed a humane society and a great number of dogs that came to us were strays or abandoned and we had NO CLUE what their names used to be!!! Even my own Hannah-banana came as a pound rescue whose name was unknown... a volunteer named her Hannah and she learned her new name in a very short time. Then there were times when we'd have 5 different dogs surrendered with the name "Lady" (for example)... in order to minimize confusion, sometimes we'd change the names to something that sounded similar, such as Sadie, Baby, etc... and then we'd tell the new adoptors what their original name was in case they wanted to change back. A lot of times, the new family came up with a totally different name anyway! My opinion is that as long as their name is said with love on your lips it really doesn't matter what it is! :)

She's absolutely gorgeous, too, BTW!! I'll keep positive thoughts for your introductions - keep us updated!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone! Here's hoping the meeting goes well! As far as names go, the first name that came to me when I saw her was Pearl! I have no idea why! I ran it past my husband and kids, and my daughter especially loved it. It's not set in stone though. I'm open to suggestions.....:)

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
As far as names go, the first name that came to me when I saw her was Pearl! I have no idea why!
Maybe because she's lustrous and shimmery, like a PEARL!!?? I think it's a beautiful name! Good luck with the intros!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Thanks everyone! Here's hoping the meeting goes well! As far as names go, the first name that came to me when I saw her was Pearl! I have no idea why! I ran it past my husband and kids, and my daughter especially loved it. It's not set in stone though. I'm open to suggestions.....:)
She does look like a Pearl!!

Weird when I think of a person named Pearl I think of old ladies with cookies...instead of a fat whale cheerleader with a crab as a dad ((any body catch the cartoon reference?))
but again she does look like a Pearl xD

1 - 20 of 31 Posts