Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If i'm just introducing a new flavor of the same kibble family, do i need to do it gradually as if it's a whole new food?

Cleo is finally having consistently normal stools, now that she's on pro-plan puppy focus, lamb and rice variety. I want to add the chicken version of Focus puppy to the repertoire. Should I mix some with the lamb at first before feeding it solo?

Fwiw, i put her on the lamb and not the chicken initially, because the lamb variety does not contain wheat (but it is not grain-free, it has corn and oatmeal).

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I wouldn't do a gradual conversion in your case, I'd just make a cold switch. But it definitely depends on how sensitive Cleo's digestive system is.
I did the same when I was feeding my dogs Taste of the Wild. Switching between two different proteins, even though the ingredients were somewhat different (some foods had more peas, etc.), didn't seem to make much of a difference in digestion.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
It depends on the dog! I change both proteins and brands almost every bag with no problem..........I really feel she developed a gut of iron from being fed this way from puppyhood.................BTW she has NEVER had diarrhea in all her 7 years except for once when she was fed a package of Purina 'Moist n Meaty' by my neighbor.... ugh! Never again.......even if she did love it LOL!!!

Reactions: MustLoveDogs

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I've been switching from Castor & Pollux Pristine Salmon to Purina Pro Plan Focus Salmon Sensitive Stomach and Skin, very gradually. It's been going well, though I have an added impact of homemade food supplemented at breakfast.

I just decided to add Bright Mind Chicken for Small Breeds at supper, and it's a pretty different food. So I'm including pumpkin and as needed, a little homeopathic tablet (or half tablet) when poops are softer than they ought to be. Just started the Bright Mind Friday night (it's for small breeds 7+ years of age - it just hit me this week he will be *11* in a month).

Oliver during my almost seven years with him has had a reactive/sensitive tummy (from day 1 coming home), so I try to be careful. We'd finally landed on a super solution digestion-wise when the DCM news hit, but I'm feeling good about the Purina. If it doesn't work out, I'll look at other options.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts