Poodle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
14,418 Posts
Hi! Lovely to meet you. :)

Assuming her temperament is a good fit for your family, and she's expected to be a nice sturdy size, I'd probably lean towards the mini.

My reason for this is that adolescent spoos are....a lot. Lol. Adolescent minis, too, but their size makes them much more manageable and less likely to scare or knock over a child. Even I—a full-grown, relatively mature adult—had some real EEK!! moments during Peggy's puppyhood.

Of course, her larger size also means she's more resilient. So if you don't trust your little ones to be gentle, the spoo might be a better fit. But just know that poodles (and baby poodles especially) tend to mirror human energy.

·
Administrator
14,418 Posts
I think then I'd probably make my decision based on lifestyle. I personally really wanted another mini for travel. But we live in an area with a lot of predators, and I ultimately felt a spoo was a more responsible choice.

I think, too, if my kids were more comfortable with smaller dogs, that's the route I'd go. But....the spoo "off switch" is pretty great. Peggy is already the ultimate couch potato at only 16 months.

What are YOU most comfortable with? If you've trained a larger dog before and feel good in their presence, I'm sure your kids will follow your lead. Snuggling with my 45 lb girl is rather delightful.

Then again.... Being able to scoop up my 12 lb mini was extremely convenient.

Am I making this harder for you?? Lol. That's because they're BOTH wonderful choices. :)

·
Administrator
14,418 Posts
If their temperaments really are that similar (I hope the breeder is waiting until 7 weeks to make a final assessment) I'd choose the black...but I'm a little biased. :)

We'd originally planned to get Peggy's sister, an apricot parti. In fact, the one colour I didn't want was black. Ha! We made our final decision based on our interactions with them. Peggy very much chose us.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.