Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So from some very helpful suggestions, I got the Shirlee Kalstone book. It's wonderful! I've been reading it, and have gotten some great ideas for grooming. However, I'm still really intimidated by the idea of shaving my puppy's FFT. I am nervous trimming my own kids hair, in fact, I stopped doing it and take them to the kids' hair salon. Brushing, combing, even bathing I can do, but I'm intimidated by clippers/scissors. I'd really LIKE to learn, because over a lifetime, $45 for trims and baths at the groomer adds up, and frankly I am getting a steal at $45 because our breeder owns the grooming salon. Any good tips or DVDs I could watch?

·
Registered
263 Posts
tina, I too was intimidated...you just have to jump in with both feet. The important part is having the right equipment. Hair grows back and embarassment is temporary! Go at it, have fun and let us know how you do via some photos! I have really come to love grooming Gracie.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
If you go on youtube and type in Poodle grooming, there are lots of short videos you can watch that help teach you what you need to know. I find the biggest mistake most novices make is clipping the face. They go too high going from the corner of the eye to the ear, and go too high between the eyes, so they end up with an almost mohawk look to them. These little videos will help because you aren't just looking at photos, but watching someone doing it.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
And...Alicia gave good advice. If you muck it up, it is not the end of the world. Lord knows, it will grow back!! In about five or six weeks you can correct any damage you have done, and each time you do it, you will get a little better.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I think that Plumcrazy once mentioned great DVD and that she got it from Rebelstar Kennels ??? Please somebody correct me if I am wrong :rolffleyes:

Tina - I hope you will be able to learn how to do it : ))) - and yes, practice makes perfect : ) - so do not fret too much - just take time and maybe first try to do small parts - like "butt" and tail LOL, than feet, than face, and so on : ) !

At least I would start that way LOL

Best of luck with it all : ))

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
I think that Plumcrazy once mentioned great DVD and that she got it from Rebelstar Kennels ??? Please somebody correct me if I am wrong :rolffleyes:

Tina - I hope you will be able to learn how to do it : ))) - and yes, practice makes perfect : ) - so do not fret too much - just take time and maybe first try to do small parts - like "butt" and tail LOL, than feet, than face, and so on : ) !

At least I would start that way LOL

Best of luck with it all : ))
Yes, you are correct. Plumcrazy has talked about the video on here, and she is doing a fabulous job of Lucybug Fancypants!!

That wass great advice too. Just take it slow. Now, I always recommend that for the first big clip, like going from puppy coat to an adult clip, going to a groomer just once in awhile to have lines to follow. It makes things a bit easier

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the encouragement! I'm so afraid of accidentally cutting him, as I've done that to my husband several times. I'm on a quest for a nice grooming table that won't cost an arm and a leg to ship to Hawaii now.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Try to put those thoughts out of your head. Just knbow where all the parts are. When scissoring the top notch at the ears, that can be a bit scary even for seasoned groomers. And the front of the eyes. But just make yourself familiar, and go for it. You will improve and improve, and if you mess up, don't beat yourself up. Just learn from it. Good luck, and keep us posted on how you do when you take the plunge.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Grooming Poodle faces and feet is a lot of fun!

I highly recommend the Laube Speed Feed Trimmer for shaving faces and feet. You can get one from KVsupply for $110 with free shipping. It has several blade settings, I recommend the 10 setting because it's the safest around delicate areas.

I use the Speed Feed exclusively for faces, feet, and sanitary. I don't think I could even do a poodle face with any other clippers anymore!

Look up pictures and videos illustrating the proper techniques. There are a lot of good resources out there.
The best advice I can give is to keep your dog's skin tight. Don't be afraid to pull your dog's face around a bit, when working around eyes and especially the lips, taut skin will prevent cuts.

Good luck! :)

Oops, I just noticed you're from Hawaii. Not sure if KV ships there for free.

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
I LOVE doing FFT!!! And I never, ever did it before Lucybug came to live with me (although wishpoo and Arreau are correct, I do own the Poodle Grooming DVD from Annette Shepherd's Rebelstar Kennels. It has a lot, lot, lot of information on it and I watched it several times before I ever got Lucy)

I have also been experimenting with different clippers/trimmers, etc... I figure "it's hair, it'll grow back!" I just really, truly, take my time and keep an absolute calm, confident attitude and she also stays calm and confident for me!!

I've been hearing lots of good things about the Shirley Kalstone book, too - I may have to check into picking one of those up... Is it mostly show grooming or pet grooming??

Good luck with your practicing, tina - and just remember... You are calm, you are confident!! :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have the Shirlee Kalstone book- International Poodle Grooming or something like that. It's a great book, and covers both show and pet grooming pretty extensively. I personally think every poodle owner should read it, even if you don't groom. It has tons of information, and gives some great ideas for trims. It's all black and white, which is a slight bummer, but there's loads of pictures.
I most appreciated the drawings showing common shaping mistakes, and how to correct them.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Shirlee Kalstones book is great, I learned a lot from it. You should check out Groomers Lounge, Its a forum for groomers and pet people who groom. I really picked up a lot of information there, they also have demos that are free from the members, usually in the threads. You can send them your pic of your groom and they will give their opinion and tell you how to make it better. Most important tho is just what everyone elce says, go for it, make mistakes and do a better job the next time:)

·
Registered
593 Posts
I understand..it took me forever to use a small clipper on the underside of my cavs feet..*G*..and most of the time I let my friend the groomer do it..When I got Flyer I told his breeder I get lifetime grooming rights (she's our groomer too)..LOL..so far she has always done him...I know she would teach me if I ask but "I is afraid"..*G*

·
Registered
708 Posts
So from some very helpful suggestions, I got the Shirlee Kalstone book. It's wonderful! I've been reading it, and have gotten some great ideas for grooming. However, I'm still really intimidated by the idea of shaving my puppy's FFT. I am nervous trimming my own kids hair, in fact, I stopped doing it and take them to the kids' hair salon. Brushing, combing, even bathing I can do, but I'm intimidated by clippers/scissors. I'd really LIKE to learn, because over a lifetime, $45 for trims and baths at the groomer adds up, and frankly I am getting a steal at $45 because our breeder owns the grooming salon. Any good tips or DVDs I could watch?
Don't be scared. I just started and it is so fun. PM me if you'd like to get together and groom. I have a groom table, forced dryer and am always in my garage. We could learn together:)

·
Registered
109 Posts
That muddycreek grooming viedo looks really good. I may get that myself. Its always good to see different techniques, especially for feet! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts