Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found this ad on our local on-line classified ads... Interesting price schedule... You can have a Schorkie puppy for $200 with no vet check or shots... OR... you can opt for the vet check and first set of shots for $350...

I'm sorry - I just thought this was slightly crazy...

http://www.bismanonline.com/getListing.php?tcat=8&cat=68&p=2&a=494762

People are just getting weirder and weirder... :(

ETA OH Geeez - look at the ears on this little girl! lol! OK - I've had a couple of glasses of wine and I SHOULD be in bed... lol!! I'll be done now!

http://www.bismanonline.com/getListing.php?tcat=8&cat=64&p=1&a=494774

·
Registered
875 Posts
"I kinda have a problem snapping at my owners 2 year old son. He is a 2 year old...so he wants to play and pick on me. Other than that I am a good girl. My owners want me to go to new wonderful home preferable with no 2 year olds. I get along fine with everyone esle, except when I get picked on"

From this we have learned:

big eared dog KINDA snaps at a little kid...who's parents allow the kid to pick on the dog.

Then it says she gets along with everyone else....unless they pick on her

2 year olds are allowed to pick on dogs, because they are 2

I really want to write...even though I dont live remotely close or even want the dog, and tell them I have a 3 year old :rofl:

I really hate dumb people that get dogs for kids under 5 or toy breeds with small children with no manners

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When my daughter was about 4 - 5 years old, we used to go to the humane society here to volunteer (the board president was a friend of mine and sometimes she'd let us in after hours to play/socialize with the pets). Katy learned at a very young age that "animals are people too" lol!! She has never been inclined to chase, pick on, pester, annoy animals of any kind. They've been part of her life as long as she has memories... But that's because she had *ME* as a mom! I wouldn't have allowed bad behavior around animals - I led by example and she's become a loving, compassionate, pet-lover/owner and I know that someday her children will be able to follow suit...

I heartily dislike it when small kids are allowed by their parents to pick on animals - In a perfect world, all children would be taught to treat animals with the respect they deserve and then there wouldn't be situations like "big eared dog"...

The people who owned my Meika-Meika (her picture is in one of my albums) before I adopted her from the shelter had a two year old son. I was told at Meika's surrender to the shelter that one of the reasons they were giving her up was because she was terrified of their son. Later I learned that the reason she had suffered a broken leg at 5 months old and a total toe amputation as a result of a complication from that broken leg. It was because they had allowed their two year old son to carry Meika around and, maybe not understanding the difference between a live puppy and a stuffed animal, he tossed her down the stairs... I want to cry just thinking about it... :( I'd've been terrified of that kid, too!!

So, yes, a lot of children should not have pets before a certain age (5?) but there are the ones, like my daughter, who would treat an animal lovingly no matter how old they are... And it all begins with what the parents teach!!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
And the father is a 10 pound yorkie?.. That is a HUGE yorkie. Why do they keep breeding these mutant huge toys?

And I.. laughed out loud at the ears on that last dog. ^^
B/c then they can sell the standard size (under 7lbs according to the official breed standard) as "teacup" and get way more money for them. Larger dogs are also less likely to need C-sections and sometimes have large litters, which to breeders like this means more profit. I have to say though, I couldn't be happier w/ my 9lb Maltese (they are also supposed to be under 7lbs). I couldn't imagine having a 3 or 4 pound dog and yet that's what so many people want. They are even willing to pay extra for it. :bird:

I'm pretty sure it's illegal to sell a puppy across state lines w/o a health certificate. Maybe you could get them in trouble.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Wow, could they have taken a sadder picture of those babies?? :( When I had a litter of mix breed puppies at my house that I needed to find homes for (long story - their mom came from the shelter I managed; the board of directors wanted me to spay her and she was only 1 1/2 weeks from delivery), I took each individual baby and placed it in a nice setting and got beautiful pictures of each to advertise for new homes... I was only asking $35 for each puppy and that was to help offset the fees that I paid when I had them neutered before placing into new homes.

It looks like the people with the standard litter just threw all the puppies in a crate and shoved a camera at the doorway so they could "get it over with" quickly. Poor babies!

And, yes, Keith - it is difficult for me to look the other way sometimes, but as my years at the humane society taught me, there is NO WAY to "save" the sheer number of animals that need saving every, single day. Katy and I HAVE done an occasional rescue from our local on-line classifeds (Dolce the standard poodle was one, and Stevie the pregnant dachshund was another that come to mind) but we only do it very rarely and in certain circumstances - and we know and agree ahead of time that we won't be KEEPING, only rescuing and finding new, great homes.

And I also won't ever PAY to "rescue" an animal from there, if it's being placed by an owner or breeder. That would only be rewarding the idots who don't feel the responsibility to care for their pet for the rest of their lives... If I can acquire a rescue and know that I have the resources and space to care for it until I can find the right home for them, and I'm not rewarding stupidity; then I'll do it!!

I wish I could win the lottery because then I could do a lot more of it - but until then, I do what I can, when I'm able and just pray for the rest! :(

ETA: The hardest thing we've EVER done was walk away from the rest of Meau's litter when the "breeder" had clearanced them down to $100 OBO per puppy that was left (I think there were 3). Meau's brother was in the "left-overs" and Katy talked one of her co-workers into going to look at the remaining puppies. She bought one (a brown male who is about 1/2 Meau's size right now!) so we thought that at least ONE of the babies would be OK... Sigh... Not to be... She gave away the puppy within a couple of months because she didn't have a place to live that allowed dogs and she had broken up with her boyfriend (that's where Tenley was staying) so she gave him away to a couple of customers from the salon (who planned to use him for breeding!!) We told them that Meau had experienced seizures and it probably wasn't a good idea to breed a pup from her litter - besides the fact that although he was a standard, he was barely bigger than a mini!! You just can't fix stupid!!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Elphaba's litter mate is up for sale on Elphies breeders site...she looks like a mess
so I emailed the breeder ((using a different email because she won't speak to me)) and she told me that I could have Elphies sister for free if I came and got her then had her spayed but if I wanted breeding rights it was going to be $350...umm Elphie is 16in at her withers and shes almost 7mo old and her sister is WAY smaller then her...who would EVER think of breeding either of them =\\
((if you want to see how awful Elphies sister looks PM me))
and Elphaba's father is for free too...I was dumbfounded
this woman is AWFUL and must have learned after her 2 litters of standards she couldn't get as many dumb people as me v.v;

Thats the thing though xD I dunno if I could "rescue" those puppies and not keep them >.<

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I just don't understand those types of breeders :doh: I'm sure I know more than them (by the book, not experience), and I will NEVER consider breeding. I'd be too afraid to breed a female, and I would be too snobby to stud out a male, and I'm not that desperate for money that I'd use an animal to do it. =/ Puppies aren't like kittens.. they're a lot harder, and you don't get accidental litters from dogs nearly as much as you get from kittens.

(My family has had a couple kitty litters before, all accidental. x_x Even THAT drives me bonkers.)

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Actually I'm just going to put this out there. My kitten is harder to handle than about 3 puppies. You can't contain kittens like you can puppies and they have claws that ruin your stuff, just sayin. I'd taken in 2 puppies at once before ever getting another kitten.

I see ads all of the time that make me want to take in the puppies but I don't because we don't have the room or time to have more than what we are commited to having. With volunteering at the humane society I go there and look at dogs and I see dogs I just want to bring home and love and teach how to live in a family. I think we'd make a great foster family. My kids are very respectful of animals and my animals are pretty accepting of other animals in their household.

Keith, I think you'd make a great foster parent too. I think it can be very rewarding to do a good deed like offer a puppy/dog/cat/kitten a family to live with until they are fully adopted.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
we have the room for like 3 more dogs xD
but my mom doesn't think they'd get enough individual attention thats why shes a little skeptical for us to become a foster home for dogs
((her real fear...she'll get to attached to ALL or a few of the animals that come in and she wouldn't be able to give them up))

I'm just honestly disgusted by Elphaba's breeder though...the more I go and look at her site the more angry I get
((she evidently re-homed "nora" (Elphies sister) already ))
but she has her 8 toys in the house plus her 2 standard females AND a toy male shes trying to sell v.v;

it kind of devastates me =\

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Well, how much individual attention do dogs need do you think? The cool thing about dogs is that they are pack animals and they like living in packs. Packs don't give a lot of individual attention but I agree they do need some time with their leaders. Look at Cesar, he has a very large pack and I doubt that he spends a lot of one on one time with them but they are very happy well adjusted rehabilitated dogs. As long as you have a strong leader, packs are good things for dogs.:)

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I've been warned I'm only allowed 4 dogs in the house at a time...and we're at 3 =\
so I'm hoping I get the 4th one before someone else xD

but my mom likes it where we each have our own dog that we can devote our full attention too individually and when they're together play with all of them...if that makes sense xD

1 - 13 of 13 Posts