Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just felt like I needed to post this as I am feeling frustrated and like a bad pup parent!

I don't usually go to the dog park but today Phoebe's dog friend group wanted to get together outside of our training area so the dogs could just have a good time together. Now Phoebe is not the only intact female of the group and the local dog park allows intact dogs unless they are in heat of course, so I agreed. For the first 15mins everything was going great, until a beautiful intact male mastiff entered.

He definitely was following the un-spayed females around and sniffing them including Phoebe! Even though she had her heat in August it made me really nervous. He ended up getting way to comfortable and attempted to hump Phoebe but he thankfully picked the wrong end of her, I guess her fluffy tk and tail look similar! We were close enough that all of this took place in seconds and his owner was really apologetic but I decided that it was time to leave at that point.

Phoebe got a bath afterwards and is now snuggled up next to me watching me study. I just hope that this does not effect her attitude towards new dogs in the future.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Rest assured, humping is just part of dog social interactions and she is unlikely to be fazed. Both males and females will hump each other even if it is just play. A naive hormonal male will sometimes act without thinking even if females aren't in heat. Females will usually correct a male they find annoying, though some are surprisingly tolerant.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rest assured, humping is just part of dog social interactions and she is unlikely to be fazed. Both males and females will hump each other even if it is just play. A naive hormonal male will sometimes act without thinking even if females aren't in heat. Females will usually correct a male they find annoying, though some are surprisingly tolerant.
Thank you!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Your girl will likely be unfazed by the whole thing other than she might be annoyed at that Mastiff should they meet again. Most of the females I have owned would correct a male quickly & sharply for such nonsense however the two I have now, ugh. Mr. Layne, my SPOO, has gotten away with really being naughty. Normally I put a male pup with one or two females (not in season) & he tries a few times & gets a sharp snap from the lady he's trying to hump & he learns. But my poor Collie is a little too tolerant & got to the point she didn't want anything to do with him. I put him with the Giant & she was very polite & tolerant until I removed the Collie. He tried to hump her & I believe he either tried to get dominant or got stupid & she knocked him flat & stood on him. Wouldn't let him up until I gave the "alright, let him up" & she stepped off like this was just another training exercise. Bless her. I kept him apart from the girls for about 3-4 weeks (he was with them in the house but I'm talking free time in the yard). When we tried again he was quiet easy for me to call him off when he'd get too carried away & with a few weeks of training, he has never been a problem since.

I think you were wise to get your dog out of that situation. I would have. If they are my dogs & I'm in the yard where I'm responsible, fine but I also will call a halt to things the moment I see a dog getting uncomfortable or it's getting to be too much.

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
Humping is just a normal part of dogs interactions. There is nothing to worry about. If you go back to the dog park, expect that it will happen again, even when your female is fixed. Females are usually very good at deterring males from doing it and trying again !

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, I have never had a male dog or a female that likes to hump so the interaction was startling but I definitely feel more confident thanks to the information I get from this great forum!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay little update-
I went back to the same dog park today with a friend and her dog because I decided that I shouldn’t let one interesting experience effect her socialization.

I will say at first she seemed slightly nervous when a dog would run up and butt sniff her but after a few positive experiences she was running around playing with her dog friends.

Also may I say that I love how everyone coos when they see a poodle walk by them, even the few doodle owners we saw today asked all about her.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts