Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yay or Nay for our little guy? We gave him a dose of some heartworm med, perhaps heartgard, when he was around 6-8 months old and it made him ill - though it could have been the fact he was eating the blossoms of oak trees at the time and not the pill. We have not given him any since, and as of Oct, he tested negative for heartworms. He is not outside very much at all because we're afraid of hawks.

We just took him to Florida for 12 days - and the weather was unseasonably hot/warm - in the 80s. I ended up with numerous mosquito bites because we were outside all the time. So that leads me to think he may have been bitten as well.

How does your toy react to Interceptor? I have 2 pills my vet gave me last year and I was going to start giving him in the event he was bitten. I plan on giving him one tonight, after dinner. I read there could be some side effects and they should only last about 24 hours. Do you find that to be the case? Would I be better off giving him the pill away from any kind of meal time? I had so much trouble getting him to eat regularly I don't want him to associate eating with getting sick later on...........

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Around here the risk is not too great so I give none of this to my toys. I try to avoid strong meds as much as possible for my little ones.

You really have to weigh pros vs cons. And if he was sick from it before, I would definitely not give it again. Try to find another product instead.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a different product... the first was heartgard. I feel I have no choice but to give it to him since one night, we were sitting with him near some shrubery having a snack, and WE got numerous bites. Since he was close to the ground and closer to those shrubs than us, he had to have been bitten.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Mine are minis, but they've never had a reaction to Interceptor Plus and have been on it since they were old enough to take it. We have mosquitos in the warmer weather, so it's a risk for a lot of the year. After reading the treatment for heartworm, I lean towards the risk of the preventative.

I like that it works against several other wormy nasties, too.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I gave Gilligan a pill about an hour after dinner on Thursday night. I believe it made him a bit drowsy, as he slept far more than usual, plus rather than ask for his usual bedtime snack, he went straight upstairs and into bed when my husband went up.

If that's the extent of the side effects, I can deal with them and will continue to use it during mosquito season.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts