Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Snoop hasn’t gone into heat yet, but when she does my plan is to send Groot to stay with some friends... My question is, how long do you think should I keep him away for? I know she won’t be fertile during her whole heat cycle, but is it best to send him away for ~3 weeks for his (and our) sanity or would a shorter timespan be fine?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
It probably depends on how he reacts to females in heat. But I would probably opt for three weeks. Even when a female is out of heat a naive male can respond as if she is because he doesn't quite get it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It probably depends on how he reacts to females in heat. But I would probably opt for three weeks. Even when a female is out of heat a naive male can respond as if she is because he doesn't quite get it.
Hard to say how’d he’d react since we don’t really see too many females in heat... but yeah, that’s probably what I’ll end up doing.

·
Registered
6,910 Posts
Send him until she is no longer receptive, in which case she will turn him down in such a way that he won’t feel like trying again... Look it up, I’m sure there’s tons of infos online.

·
Registered
351 Posts
The problem is that, while most dogs are fertile in the second week, there's always the odd bitch that is earlier or later. You would hate to bring him back home and it be too early...
I would do the full three weeks. It will be easier on him too.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep. Thanks for the insight everyone! Hopefully he doesn’t miss us too much..

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I would do 3 weeks. The one time I baby sat for Sisko's breeder it was too soon and they both had puppies from that😬

1 - 8 of 8 Posts