Poodle Forum banner

Institutions studying Congenital Heart Defect DNA in Standards?

1K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  LindsayFL 
#1 ·
My 10 month old standard has Patent Ductus Arteriosus (PDA) with right to left shunting. It wasn't discovered until he had suffered right side heart damage, which is why it is inoperable. This is the type of PDA that doesn't cause a heart murmur, hence the late discovery.

Are there any studies in which his DNA would be of use?

#2 ·
Without checking thru info I've saved, I'd say check first for UCDavis or Cornell. Both are very involved in studies for canine health.

I'll check my references on my tablet in a while and post again if I find anything potentially helpful.

This may be a source to find studies:

https://poodleclubofamericafoundation.org/

#3 · (Edited)
Reactions: Rug Guy
#4 ·
So sorry to hear your spoo is having a health issue, Rug Guy. Thank you for considering participating in research. Please share your experiences with us as you continue your journey. Wishing you and your spoo the best.

Reactions: Rug Guy
#5 ·
I'm so sorry that you and your poodle are going through this!

As I understand it, there does seem to be a genetic component to PDA in at least some breeds, and small breeds, including smaller poodle varieties, are among the breeds more likely to be affected. But you have a standard, so that's a head scratcher.

There is a researcher at Texas A&M who has done research on ASD (another cardiac condition) in standard poodles. I met Dr. Gordon a few years ago when she conducted cardiac screening at PCA--she's super nice and donated her time for the screenings. I would reach out to her (her email addy is in the linked article) and ask her if she knows of any research on PDA.

https://3hydp9ye82a18dc272gyhmi1-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/ASD.pdf

#7 ·
Just an update on Brisco, he is responding to his meds. He loves to train so we were able to finish his CGC and earn trick dog novice earlier this week.

His breeder hasn’t responded since I sent his cardiologist report. The cardiologist filled out the OFA form and I mailed it in.

I have emailed several places but still haven’t found anyone researching PDA at this time.

#8 ·
Hello Rug Guy.
My now 6 yr old miniature poodle was diagnosed with rPDA February of last year by my Cardio Vet in Sarasota and then further tests in from a Cardiologist in Tampa. His pedigree is entirely Champions except for one and himself. Both parents, grandparents, etc. down the lines, four columns... all Champions except for one at the bottom column.
I wanted to say after Remy was Dx'ed, I called his breeder that I bought him from and she hardly said a word. "Call me with updates after Tampa." I never did. Blue Pearl has Pet Hospitals Across the country. The Dr. who specializes in Cardio did further testing and bloodwork confirmed Remy's reversed PDA. We had his blood checked last week which has been a year and his blood is the same (25%) which is okay, thank goodness it has not thickened, and his heart sounded good. We will keep on checking him as he seems to have slowed down a tad and his back legs splayed just once 2 weeks ago. His tongue turns bluish purple and cold after rigorous play and he knows when to quit! He does not do "zoomies" as often.
He is on Medication. Sildenafil and Famotidine.
If there is anything else that can give me at least 6 more years with this amazing poodle of mine, who would have been so great at Agility, I would be eternally grateful. -Lindsay

#9 ·
So sorry to hear about Remy, I hope he continues to do well.
Brisco was on sildenafil, vetmedin, spironolactone, and furosemide. he Displayed similar symptoms. We had to say goodbye last week, the cardiologist said only thing left was Oxygen therapy at night. Brisco let me know it was his time

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.