Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Olive, black miniature poodle, 9 months old
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
was wondering if I should feed Olive Instinct Raw Diet. Is it a good brand. Since Olive is a very pickey puppy who loves meat, when we went to the pet store and asked a staff member for a good food Olive may like and she recomended the brand, Instinct Raw. It has mostly meat with some grains, fruits and vegitables. We need to keep it in a frige and then we need to thaw it.
Thank you,
Olive

·
Registered
375 Posts
Just do it yourself. One source is Give Your Dog a Bone, by Ian Billinghurst. Other books have come out concerning raw diets. There is a thread on it above for you to look at.

It is not hard, just don't forget the organ meat. They don't need carbohydrates and can't really digest them, but dogs do like carrots so you can offer carrots, cooked or raw as a treat.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Keep in mind that pet store folks are in business to sell stuff. They are very likely to recommend the food that produces the most profit for the store!

·
Registered
404 Posts
I read that premade raw is more of a risk for salmonella etc that whole raw, because the more processing the more opportunity for contamination (just like how ground beef must be fully cooked while steak can be rare).
That may be a factor depending on whether anyone she is in contact with might be at risk.
Personally one of my favorite parts when I did feed raw, is that the bones and tendons in whole raw are so helpful in keeping the teeth clean.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keep in mind that pet store folks are in business to sell stuff. They are very likely to recommend the food that produces the most profit for the store!
This is one of the cheapist foods there and she siad she feeds it to her dogs.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I read that premade raw is more of a risk for salmonella etc that whole raw, because the more processing the more opportunity for contamination (just like how ground beef must be fully cooked while steak can be rare).
That may be a factor depending on whether anyone she is in contact with might be at risk.
Personally one of my favorite parts when I did feed raw, is that the bones and tendons in whole raw are so helpful in keeping the teeth clean.
Can dogs get salmonella?

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Yes. And even if the dog doesn’t show signs of it, they can still pass it to other dogs (and, more importantly, people).
Yes but their stomachs handle bacteria much better than ours. Human stomachs don't have near the acidity that a dog has. Both kibble fed and raw fed dogs can pass bad germs to people. Dogs are not particularly clean animals... so I'd assume your dog's tongue is pretty gross regardless of what you feed them.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Yes but their stomachs handle bacteria much better than ours. Human stomachs don't have near the acidity that a dog has. Both kibble fed and raw fed dogs can pass bad germs to people. Dogs are not particularly clean animals... so I'd assume your dog's tongue is pretty gross regardless of what you feed them.
True statement. It’s the pre-made raw that people often feed that I have more of an issue with, as it is lower quality in general and is more likely to be contaminated. You can see in the link (forgive the click-bait title) that those diets have significantly higher numbers than dry food. If you’re feeding human-grade, high quality ingredients the risk is much lower. But then it’s harder to get a good balance. I commend the people, like you Raindrops, who can get it right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts