Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to this forum and I am a hopeful first time puppy owner! These are my current breeder picks, and I've heard of most of them through this forum:
  • Aery Poodles (Bakersville, NC)
  • Classic/Eaglehill-South (Monroe, NC)
  • Clas Haus (Thurmont, MD)
  • Moonrise Poodles (Lexington, SC)
  • Shiann Poodles (Myrtle Beach, SC)
  • Tintlet Poodles (Franklin, NC)
I'm in NC, so I prefer breeders in/around NC because I want to pick up the puppy myself.

Classic/Eaglehill-South is my top choice. Her next litter is the right timing for me and I've heard lots of recommendations. However, as with any breeder, getting a puppy isn't a guarantee as waitlists and reservations fill up quickly.

I'm not picky with color. My mom just doesn't prefer black because in case a dog gets ticks, they're much harder to find on dark hair. (I personally don't mind black, but my mom has some say because she'll be helping me raise the puppy.) I just prefer female dogs and generally want a good temperament and a healthy puppy.

I am open to any insights and recommendations!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am picking up my puppy from AnnMarie Saunier, Shiann Poodles, in 2 weeks. I chose her because she is completely open about posting health and genetic test results on OFA. I had experiences with two other breeders who said all the testing had been done but the results were not all posted, and they would not share prior to my picking up the puppy. Neither of these breeders is on your list. AnnMarie specializes in apricot and red minis. AnnMarie has been very straightforward with me and has always answered my questions, but her communications are brief. She will not be the breeder who shares lots of photos and videos. But her practices seem very sound to me and her #1 priority is the welfare of her dogs. She is also a professional groomer and tries to show all her dogs to championship titles. I believe that she has done some co-breeding with Classic/Eaglehill. The latter was another breeder that I would have considered But I got lucky first with AnnMarie.

·
Premium Member
4,026 Posts
I don't have personal experience with any of them, but every one is a breeder that I'd feel comfortable following up with for myself or recommending to others for follow up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am picking up my puppy from AnnMarie Saunier, Shiann Poodles, in 2 weeks. I chose her because she is completely open about posting health and genetic test results on OFA. I had experiences with two other breeders who said all the testing had been done but the results were not all posted, and they would not share prior to my picking up the puppy. Neither of these breeders is on your list. AnnMarie specializes in apricot and red minis. AnnMarie has been very straightforward with me and has always answered my questions, but her communications are brief. She will not be the breeder who shares lots of photos and videos. But her practices seem very sound to me and her #1 priority is the welfare of her dogs. She is also a professional groomer and tries to show all her dogs to championship titles. I believe that she has done some co-breeding with Classic/Eaglehill. The latter was another breeder that I would have considered But I got lucky first with AnnMarie.
Once you visit her, can you tell me your experience? I'm definitely interested in her as well. Congrats on your new puppy!
EDIT: Can you also tell me about the health testing she does, if you know? It isn't listed on her website besides CERF testing.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
The only ones I've heard direct discussion of are Tintlet, Eaglehill-South, Shiann, and Aery. I believe all are very reputable and I nearly went with a pup from Eaglehill-South myself. My dog has an Eaglehill-South dog in his pedigree as well. I would have no question on the quality of their dogs. My only reservation was in the size of their minis as they seem to be mostly 13-14" dogs and I was hoping for something more moyen-sized around 15". That and the timing of litters wasn't ideal.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Once you visit her, can you tell me your experience? I'm definitely interested in her as well. Congrats on your new puppy!
EDIT: Can you also tell me about the health testing she does, if you know? It isn't listed on her website besides CERF testing.
I’ll be happy to share my experience after picking up my puppy. You can look up her dogs and see their test results on www.OFA.org using her kennel name, Shiann. You will want to do this for any breeder you are considering. You can ask for the AKC registered names of the sire and dam, and hopefully their test results will be posted there. Best of luck with your search. I found it to be a real roller coaster ride myself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts