Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
I have been searching for a small toy poodle pup to adopt from a reputable breeder. I discovered the gooddog.com website which I've found to be helpful. I've been in touch with Gina Bryan of Going Poodles. She has been very responsive to all my questions. She does genetic testing on all her breeding dogs. I forgot to ask her about other health testing so I'll be contacting her again about that.
Has anyone here on the PF had any experience with Gina? She seems to tick most (if not all) of the boxes of a responsible breeder. She absolutely loves all her dogs and offers support for the lifetime of her pups.
I'm trying to do my due diligence, so any input would be most appreciated! She is located in Georgia and I am in upstate New York so I can't just go visit her place - as much as i'd like to!

Thanks so much!

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
I have some reservations on some things.

First is that she's asking different prices for these reasons:

The price depends on the size they are charting, conformation, coat color, and pedigree.

1/ I see that as pricing based on marketing trends. It does not cost more to breed a larger or smaller puppy (just how small does she go? health issues can add up as size goes down).

2/ It doesn't cost any more to breed one color over another

3/ conformation? It will cost more to have a pup who was bred to be closer to the breed standard? All pups should be bred to the breed standard. If she's showing, and pups are born with or develop a "show fault", then limited registration (no showing in conformation, no breeding) will usually be priced lower than a show potential puppy, which may be the goal with every litter but won't be the reality.

4/ pedigree? It's not clear what she means by this. Is she showing her own dogs and winning titles? Again, this is what a breeder should be doing, to show their own dogs meet the breed standard. If she's asking more because a dog a generation or three back won a title, that's a random title and doesn't constitute "championship lines". A pedigree is nothing more than a family tree.

If her intent is to charge more for full registration (essentially to show the dog in the conformation ring and to give breeding rights), more money isn't unusual. What would be unusual would be to sell a pup with full rights but not require a co-ownership contract so that she will maintain some say in what happens to her line.

----

I saw no evidence of testing on OFA, using the kennel name or what seems to be the registered (which registry?) of the dams and sires listed.
DNA testing is great, but is only part of the health picture per the standards recommended by the Poodle Club of America.

Toys should be tested for:

Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA) DNA Test
DNA based test from an approved laboratory
Eye Examination
Eye Examination by a boarded ACVO Ophthalmologist
Patellar Luxation
OFA Evaluation, minimum age 1 year

because these are the issues more likely to develop in toys. This is not to say they're common, just more likely. If she's done this testing to the OFA requirements, it's odd that the results aren't listed.

---

We offer a 5 year health guarantee. The health guarantee is valid as long as puppies are on the specific nutrition program that I give them at the time of departure.

I'm very leery of a breeder who requires that I feed something specific or their "guarantee" is void.

What if the dog develops allergies or other reactions to that specific nutrition program? What if you can't get it? Is it a specific diet or is it a supplement? If a supplement, are you encouraged or required to buy it thru them?

---

The thing is, I'm assessing her by my criteria for a quality breeder. I see caution flags and pitfalls.
But.
If I knew the risks, have dedicated poodle health savings of several thousand dollars or pet insurance,
knew that I'd likely not give whatever "specific nutrition program" was required by the breeder
and therefore void whatever health guarantee they offer,
and also likely voiding any other breeder support,
basically that the breeder and I would part ways as soon as the pup was in my hands,
I might proceed.
But.
I also wouldn't pay quality breeder prices, which she is asking, and above, unless I'm getting all the quality breeder perks.

Reactions: Dechi

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
I gave the short version of my criteria in your other post. This is the longer version

Breeding Program
! to maintain, improve, strengthen the breed
by breeding to standard, for health and genetic diversity,
and will prove their dogs meet these standards by showing or competing in other activities or by breeding from titled parents.
It's not the title, but what it shows
! focus is on quality, never quantity
! they do not cross breed
! they limit breeding to one to two breeds
! they limit breeding to only a few litters per year *

Breeding Parents
! registry information available
AKC Registry Lookup
Dog Search
! not too old or young for breeding
! not overbred
see Asking questions from a breeder
and Frequency of Breeding a Bitch
! genetic health testing done appropriate to breed and variety
! other health testing by exam such as annual eye, hips, patellas
! results of testing on own website, OFA site or testing lab
see Health Related Publications - Versatility In Poodles, Inc.
and OFA Lookup Look Up A Dog | Orthopedic Foundation for Animals | Columbia, MO
Living Conditions
! in home with family
! breeder allows, even encourages home visits

Puppies
! routine and urgent vet care, immunizations, dewormings
! socialization
! first groomings
! registry papers
! puppies are not sold with full registration (breeding rights) simply for the price of admission
! they will not require spay/neuter before physical maturity
! health "guarantee" generally favors the breeder, not the buyer.
health guarantee is no replacement for health testing of dam and sire.
does the contract/guarantee/warranty rule out covering conditions the parents should have been tested for
do you fully understand the terms of any contract/guarantee/warranty and can you live with them
beginning housetraining is a bonus
temperament testing is helpful

Advertising
! individual website to detail history of breeder, goals for their program
! information on dams, sires, puppies
! no trend pricing for color, gender or size,
! no marketing gimmick terms like "teacup" "royal"

! Anything not found on a public online site should be provided by breeder before buying.

* Many people prefer small scale breeders because they feel the puppies will have better socialization and it's very unlikely to be a puppy mill-like operation.
This doesn't mean that larger scale breeders can't do things right.
The breeder of record may not be hands on with every pup or poodle on the place but they should make sure that all the quality of life and attention are paid to all their dogs.

If a breeder wants me to believe that they believe in their dogs, they won't stop the investment when it comes time to find the new families. If they want to cut costs by using free advertising sites like craigslist or listing on retail marketplaces like puppyspot or puppyfind, or other classified ad sites such as newspapers, I wonder what else they've cut costs on.

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Here's her PawPrint Breeder page. Several females here are too old or at the cusp of too old to be breeding so I'd want to know more.
Paw Print Pedigrees - Breeder Profile (pawprintgenetics.com)

We here at Going Poodles are breeder's of AKC Toy Poodles which include the "descriptive sizes" of Large Toy, Toy, Tiny Toy, and Teacup. We are not a kennel. We are a small home based breeder.** All our poodles are part of our family and sleep in our room and our puppy nursery is located in our room also. Our puppies are started on house training and manner's prior to leaving. We use the highest quality fresh pet food for all our pet's. We guarantee top quality, beautiful, healthy puppies.

Also note that here, she's listed in Pueblo Colorado. Her FB page also mentioned something about going home to Colorado, and also has a post about guardian homes.**

FB quote
**We do have several guardian homes

1 - 4 of 4 Posts