Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI for anyone who may need to induce vomiting in their dog.....

Back story.
Last Sunday, I woke up to find Delilah in my bathroom. I generally keep the door shut, but my husband, being the last one to bed, forgot to close it. This would not normally be such a huge issue, but I had also left out the waste basket which contained the Holy Grail of garbage..... used tampons (sorry Keith). As disgusting as it is, my dogs simply can not resist these.

Typically, I let nature run its course with these things and I have found that tampons pass through the system pretty easily. However, a tally of the trash showed that most likely three tampons had been consumed. At age 45, and after 3 children, we are not talking about small tampons. Problem....

Because I was worried about impaction, I decided to induce vomiting. The best way to do this in dogs IMHO is to feed them tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide one at a time. Give a tablespoon. Wait. If there is no response, give another tablespoon. Eventually the dog will vomit.

Delilah has a cast iron stomach. I kept giving tablespoon after tablespoon. She would look a bit urpy and make some gurgling sounds but then just stand there and look at me. Finally after what seemed like a full cup of hydrogen peroxide, she vomited. Up came 3 tampons and A SOCK!!!! (oh she had been a busy girl).

I have heard that minimally diluted salt works too, but hydrogen peroxide really does the trick. I think every dog owner should keep a bottle on hand for emergencies.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I've had to do the hydrogen peroxide before and yeah it's nasty but you gotta do what you gotta do.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Just wondering - would Ipecac work on dogs ???:rolffleyes:

What a night :scared:

I am sooo glad to hear all went well and smooth for the poor Delilah !!!! I understand how tampon can be attractive, but what is up with dogs and socks and eating them ???? I guess "smell is fun" to carry around LOL - but why eating them LOL.

Anyways - all is well that ends well :rainbow: - hope her stomach is not too upset today !!!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
EWWWWW to the her eating tampons lol Dogs can be nasty some times ! I had this cat that would chew and eat! the fabric between my sisters dirty underwear:wacko:

Thanks for the tip ! i never knew you could induce vomiting with peroxide :)

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Oh brother, what an experience!! Yes, we used to have that problem too, used pads, dirty diapers...anything gross. And we still have that problem, even though I have gone through menopause. Iris and Wiz eat heat undies and pads every sticking night that one or both of the girls is in heat. They will take the pads right out of Holly's undies, who is mercifully a good girl about it. I find half eaten undies with no sign of the pad that was in them anywhere. The yard looks pretty weird with turds that are 9o % chewed pads and 10 % poop. I can't wait untiil Iris is spayed. Thank Heavens they seem to pass through them swiftly and with no repercussions.

Yes, Jak and Keith...pretty gross discussion for you poor guys!!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Iecac can work too. It is just that hydrogen peroxide is cheaper and it is good to have around to cuts and scrapes too. :)

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I had to use the hydrogen peroxide treatment one time when Juliet (mini dachshund) ate an indeterminable amount of dark chocolate from Katy's purse. I put her in the bathtub and gave her bit by bit of the HP... When she finally blew, I was sooo glad I had made her regurgitate her dessert... there was a LOT of chocolate in there!!! (better than used feminine hygiene products and dirty underwear!! :lol: :pound:) Because my dogs are not immune to the siren call of the aforementioned feminine products (and Chalumeau LOVES used Kleenex too!!), I have purchased "step-on" wastebaskets where they're always covered unless you step on the thing-a-majig that opens the top... We've had zero problems with bathroom trash since getting these cans!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
This is great to know!

I have been slowly adding waste baskets with lids because I have them everywhere:rolffleyes:

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I had to do it with Jasper because he had gotten into the cat box and I was worried with it being clumping litter it would cause an impaction. I was really glad I did it because there was a lot of litter in that puppy's stomach.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I think most of us girls have found the pad/tampon poop some time or another. I take Vegas in the bathroom with me when I shower, and when he's in there with me the garbage goes up onto the counter. He's still pretty much tethered to me so he's not getting into any bathrooms on his own.

The boxer on the other hand.. well we just try to keep the doors closed.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
lol don't apologize to me I live with my mom and a sister...and since I'm of a special caliber of men...all my girlfriends feel extra EXTRA comfortable with me -.-

Elphie enjoys those things as well so ((thank god I have my own bathroom >.< )) my mom and sister have locks on the outside of their bathroom doors because Elphie and our cat bounce the doors to open them v.v;

o_O
how'd she eat a sock?

·
Registered
681 Posts
My dog has been known to eat the dirty diaper. It was better when I was using cloth, because well, she would eat at the doggy "buffet" and leave the diaper behind. Dogs can be so gross!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
What the heck tastes good about a sock? Not that eating baby poo, tampons, or pads is tastey but the sock is just plain old cotton.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Oh those rascals. Two days ago Jackson started heaving and out came a long once-yellow sock. I'm sure that Hoot was the one who procured it for him (he's always stealing socks but never chews them) when he followed me to the laundry room that morning.
This is third sock in the last two weeks that have gone through the doggy digestive system. I don't know why but Hoot has become very preoccupied lately with my socks. He (very sneakily) will slink up behind me and nab one when I'm not looking and go off to a place where he'll just lay with it, sometimes giving it a little lick. Jackson only shows interest when Hoot goes off and leaves it and if there's nothing else to do...so he only chews when left alone.

·
Registered
562 Posts
WOW its a good thing you did induce vomiting!!! A sock!!! Thats just crazy!!! Fortunately my chi and spoo do not ever even try to get into the trash but my old costa rican mutt will get in there any chance she gets even at 15!!! She will eat tampons and always throw them up, you think she would of learned her lessons but nope she keeps eating and throwing them up. I try to close the door and keep her on lock down but sometimes she does get in there.
I onyl induce vomitting on her if she gets into human food at all which is super rare. She had pancreatitis and cant have a bunch of fatty human or cat food so if she gets into she must throw it up. Thank goodness its been about 2 years since ive had to do it and she usually only eats about 1 or two tampons at a time so i dont worry about it. I really do try to keep her away from them too.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
When he was a kitten, it didn't take Mickey long to find the bathroom trash can and to discover just how tasty used dental floss can be (YUM! :wacko:). So, long before I had Teddy, I had a covered can in the bathroom. I also have to keep it turned around with the opening to the wall because little Mickey was pretty quick to figure out how to lift the lid with his nose (I also started disposing of the dental floss where he can't find it). I did not enjoy those two days of checking his poop for signs of floss, so I made sure it didn't happen again. Thank goodness I actually found it and it didn't wrap around his intestines and cause real problems!

That crazy cat also likes feminine hygiene products, but not the used ones. I can't leave a package of pads sitting out anywhere because they will end up strewn all over the house. Teddy enjoys playing with these neat little individually wrapped square packets too. Boys. :wacko:

I knew about peroxide and bought a fresh bottle shortly after I brought Teddy home, just in case. He doesn't eat things like underwear and socks, but he will drag them into the living room and leave them there.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts