Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone. i need help please. i just adopted a 2 year old toy poodle a month ago and i want her to do her business inside the house using a litter box it's been 2 weeks now but still no progress. she really holds her pee and poop for over 12 hours. i set up a litter box inside a play pen. i try not to keep her in the pen for hours except at night time. sometimes i allow her to pee once she's out from the pen just to release some tension in her , then stop her to take her back to the box to continue her business in the box but she does not continue . i am worried that she might develop medical problem due to holding her pee too much. thanks you hopefully someone in her could help me out

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good Morning,

I'm not an expert. So with that I'll give you my opinion. It's quite possible that the dog doesn't want to pee where it sleeps. Perhaps the box should be in another location to give the dog total separation.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Is she used to pee pads? Or going outside? As suggested above, she may not want to go in her bedroom area. If she is used to the outside you can buy a fake grass patch off the Internet for a reasonable price and let her use that. Or if she is pad trained use those underneath and around the litter box for her to get used to the concept.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good Morning,

I'm not an expert. So with that I'll give you my opinion. It's quite possible that the dog doesn't want to pee where it sleeps. Perhaps the box should be in another location to give the dog total separation.
Thank you John i really appreciate it ill to do that. at the moment i put small cushion to sleep in next to the box.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is she used to pee pads? Or going outside? As suggested above, she may not want to go in her bedroom area. If she is used to the outside you can buy a fake grass patch off the Internet for a reasonable price and let her use that. Or if she is pad trained use those underneath and around the litter box for her to get used to the concept.
hello there thank you for prompt reply. she used to go outside and do her business on the gravel bits, so i put a bit of gravel and litter for dogs just like for cats but bit more flaky. hopefully ill be successful this time.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I litter trained my standard poodle as a puppy as I lived in an apartment, and also after watching a previous dog struggle with old age middle of the night incontinence.l - I figured I would introduce her to the concept when she was young so she wouldn't have issues later.

It was a challenge as I dont think she thought it was a natural surface to use- I used to find her sleeping in it! After a while, I started taking pee from other locations ( the snow outside) or if she had an accident inside, and putting it in her box, praised her and gave her a treat if she used it, and she learned very quickly after that. I made sure all other pee was kept scrupulously cleaned up, and I did notice if I put fresh litter in she would stop using it/make a mistake.

At 6 or 7 months, her bladder control was good enough she basically stopped using it because she preferred to go outside and I took it away.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I litter trained my standard poodle as a puppy as I lived in an apartment, and also after watching a previous dog struggle with old age middle of the night incontinence.l - I figured I would introduce her to the concept when she was young so she wouldn't have issues later.

It was a challenge as I dont think she thought it was a natural surface to use- I used to find her sleeping in it! After a while, I started taking pee from other locations ( the snow outside) or if she had an accident inside, and putting it in her box, praised her and gave her a treat if she used it, and she learned very quickly after that. I made sure all other pee was kept scrupulously cleaned up, and I did notice if I put fresh litter in she would stop using it/make a mistake.

At 6 or 7 months, her bladder control was good enough she basically stopped using it because she preferred to go outside and I took it away.
i have the same reason as you hence i want to litter train her/them actually i have a standard poodle too who's 1.5 years. i might start training her too.

·
Super Moderator
5,123 Posts
A dog that has been properly trained to toilet outdoors is not going to want to toilet next to their sleeping spot. That would go against all of their instincts and be rather upsetting for them.

You need to keep the litter box far from your dog's bed. And please stop interrupting her outdoor toilet times, especially after she's held it for so long. This sounds like torture. :(

Have patience with her, please. This could be a long process.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A dog that has been properly trained to toilet outdoors is not going to want to toilet next to their sleeping spot. That would go against all of their instincts and be rather upsetting for them.

You need to keep the litter box far from your dog's bed. And please stop interrupting her outdoor toilet times, especially after she's held it for so long. This sounds like torture. :(

Have patience with her, please. This could be a long process.
thanks for your concern. but i am not torturing her. thats why i am here to seek help. i am new to raising dogs and trust me torturing them is not my style of raising them. thanks for reminding of being patient with her coz i have been patient and will put more effort to be more patient.;)

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I wonder if you could put the potty tray outside in her favourite spot, and get her used to/encourage going in it outside, then bring it in?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wonder if you could put the potty tray outside in her favourite spot, and get her used to/encourage going in it outside, then bring it in?
Yes I have tried that too. I've read toy poodles at 2 yrs can hold their bladder upto 10-12 hours that's what Ive been trying to do. But she's holding it even longer that's why I am starting to worry coz I don't wana keep holding bladder:(

·
Registered
6,901 Posts
You’re lucky you have a well trained dog who likes to go outside. It will be probably very hard and confusing for her to soil inside. And un-natural. Have you considered taking her outside ? It would be so much easier and healthy for her.

·
Registered
739 Posts
This is similar to how we taught Normie to use the yard and not just pads. We moved his used pads into the yard to convince him that it was okay to pee there too.

It really helps to teach him a trigger word or pee command. Normie pees on command. It made the switch easier and it's great when I'm in a hurry and want him to get his business done.

If you can move the tray outside, that would help. Or bring something to the litter box that smells like her urine.
(We just picked up pooh and salted our yard. : [

Puppies are trained by their mothers not to pee/defecate where they sleep. Most of us use that to our advantage in crate training. Most pups won't pee in a small crate. Then when we take them out and place them where we want action, we often get it.

It takes months to potty train. But you're right - holding it in ends in a trip to the vet.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
My mini will happily hold his pee almost indefinitely. He goes 12 hours quite frequently but I have seen him wait much longer. Usually when we have a torrential downpour that lasts all day. I would not be surprised if he managed to hold it for 24 hours. With an adult dog that has well developed bladder control, I do not think waiting her out is the way to go. I agree it sounds very unpleasant for her and she is probably very confused. Perhaps you can explain why you would like her to go inside?

If it is truly a necessity, I would suggest getting some grass sod squares and putting them in a plastic bin. Recreate the feeling of being outside. Take some urine-soiled material from outside and put it in your bin so she smells that it is a potty area. You could even teach her to go in the bin outside, and then transfer the bin inside. And then slowly you could convert her over to whatever substrate you want.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts