Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My miniature was born April 8, 2016. She was spayed at 6 months old, per my contract with the AKC Breeder of Merit. She is potty trained and will pee on command.

She has been dribbling at rest, 1-2 mL at a time for a while, months. We didn't go to the DVM office over this issue because I was thinking it was some puppy psychosis, and, I've read stories here about when to spay and the risks... so all this stuff was rolling around in my head, plus I didn't want to acknowledge the reality... that's why we didn't go to the doctor.

Well, the past couple of weeks were worse. She was leaving about 1-2 fl oz of puddles after taking a nap. Do not worry, I did not punish her, and we went to the DVM yesterday.

All her images and chems came back negative, they say she's healthy. I dropped a sample off this morning and it will be sent to a lab to be cultured.

I have a feeling I'm gonna have to start her on the sphincter tightening medication that she will have to be on for the rest of her life.

I'm feeling anger at this time, I'm sure it will pass and I will reach acceptance at some point.

Anybody got any thoughts to share with me?

·
Premium Member
6,977 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
6,977 Posts
Well I'm hoping you can get it sorted soon, my 3 year old Beatrice is being treated for a UTI, 5 days in and she is peeing normally again

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I'm hoping you can get it sorted soon, my 3 year old Beatrice is being treated for a UTI, 5 days in and she is peeing normally again
I read your thread. I read lots here, I rarely comment though. You and zooeysmom are good posters, PF Angels. :angel:

A part of me hopes it is a UTI, or something not chronic.

·
Premium Member
6,977 Posts
Let us know how your girl is doing.

I too had all kinds of bad thoughts run through my head when Beatrice starting peeing more, mine was frustration because Bea just had knee surgery in March her second. I was wondering what else could be broken on my sweet girl. So I understand.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Oh yes! Hoping it is an UTI ..........and quit kicking yourself too! We all go through the "I shoulda, coulda, woulda," thing! You are doing what you need to do now, and that's what counts! It'll all be just fine I bet!:flowers:

Reactions: poofs

·
Registered
906 Posts
Also, diet matters enormously. Pericles had struvite crystals in August, and was dribbling after urinating. He was on antibiotics 2 weeks, but I think changing his food was also critical. He was put on that awful Science Diet c/d but after a bit I started adding some food that had the right proportions of some of the minerals concerned..."Now" organic food. In any case, he has been fine for the past six weeks.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the replies.

MollyMuiMa is always an angel, too!

Dechi, good advise. When the results come back, if he says they are negative, I'll ask him if we can treat just in case before trying the sphincter drug. I forgot what he called the drug but after a google search I assume he probably told me phenylpropanolamine.

marialydia, DVM also said there could be multiple tiny crystals scrapping the bladder wall that he can't detect with the tools in his office. That urine sample will also be tested for those, too. I'm gonna google that a bit, diet for crystals. Right now I feed her Orijen Original Formula, and she is a heavy chewer so we go through lots of bully sticks, no hide chews by earth animal, and dried sweet potatoes.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got a call from our vet. Audrey has tiny Calcium Oxalate Crystals. Doc said she needs to be on a Rx food, he named 3 brands Royal Canin, Purina, and another brand I can't recall (probably Hill's Science Diet).

He knows I feed my cats raw, but we didn't talk about that for Audrey.
(My female Bengal cat was throwing up commercial foods and I spent $$$$ trying to figure out what was wrong with her. I finally put her on raw and she went from throwing up 3-5 times a week to 3-5 times a year. I couldn't get her to eat her bones and liver so I buy a supplement you add to raw meat. I was using TC Feline but I recently switched to Feline Instincts.)

He also said this may or may not cure her incontinence at rest, we'll just have to see.

I'm gonna buy the Rx food till I figure out if something else might be better in the raw world.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Thanx for the update.......hope this is the answer to your dilemma!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Glad to hear that the vet was able to find something (I feel it is most frustrating when nothing can be found at all and you have to just keep guessing!!) Hoping that these treatment plans work for your little one!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Audrey is still incontinent at rest. But we're still hopeful.
While we wait for things to get better, I got her some stylish briefs for inside time out of the crate, but she stays outside a lot more. I make pads out of paper napkin and tissue, change em out.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Audrey is still incontinent at rest. But we're still hopeful.
While we wait for things to get better, I got her some stylish briefs for inside time out of the crate, but she stays outside a lot more. I make pads out of paper napkin and tissue, change em out.

If she’s been incontinent since forever, she never learned to hold it. When the meds have taken their full effect, if this continues then it might be behavioral.

Then you might want to try to really mentally prepare ypurself to treat her just like a puppy you need to housebreak. Without the diapers. Forget everything and start over again.

Try that for a good 3-4 weeks and see if you have any kind of improvement.

When does she pee / leak now ?

She’s beautiful by the way. And you should buy lady pads, much more efficient than napkins, lol !

1 - 20 of 46 Posts