Poodle Forum banner

In the USA/Oz...

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  mercymoon 
#1 ·
Do you guys have your poodles tails docked?

When I had my first mini when I was a little girl he had a docked tail, so it was a pompom, but we aren't allowed to dock them now, so Zac will have a long tail...i think it's quite cute! xx

#2 ·
Yes we do! I am for docked tails on poodles, we had a huge debate on
another forum I belong to whether it's right to dock tails and crop certain
breeds of dogs ears. I believe there is nothing wrong with docking puppies
tails before they are three days old, after three days old and you haven't
had it done yet...you need to forget it. We also have our puppies tails
professionally done, taking them to our local vet.

#3 ·
I do prefer a docked tails on breeds that normally have that done. However, when my mom took Rocky, Eli's littermate, he had a tail. Surprisingly, when I groomed him his tail came out looking very nice. I shaved the portion near the rear and left the other half fluffy and full.

It looked like a feather duster....he was just a doll all together.

#8 ·
I only have one here that is docked, all the others are young and we havnt been allowed to dock in Australia for 3 yrs now. If we do its a $7,000.00 fine per puppy :eek: Our new legislation here in Victoria if one is docked is jail time :eek::eek:

Australia has gone completely nuts :rolleyes:

#9 ·
I'm curious about these laws. What is the reason? Is it an animal cruelty thing? Or something else altogether? It seems strange to me, are you allowed to declaw cats? Dock ears? I've also heard of this horrible thing called debarking that they do here in the states. I've never heard of any pushes for laws against things like this here.

#14 ·
Some idiots like peta organisations and our RSPCA look at docking as amputation. They think its cruel when there has been so much proof that alot of dogs injure or break their tails. Then they have to get amputated anyway and they are in more pain cause the bone in the tail has grown.

We use to do them at 2 days old. Tails and dueclaws. The pups handle it very well, its the dewclaws that hurt them more cause you have to dig into the bone but they dont complain about that they complain the tail hurts more. Its rubbish cause there isnt no bone at that age, I never get a scream doing tails. The minute you put them back on mum they are suckling away and you would never have known they were done.

#10 ·
I don't really have a preference in Poodles but I do in other breeds like Boxers, Schnauzers and Rottweilers. I prefer those breeds natural. Also I like a GOOD dock on a Poodle or a GOOD natural tail. It look off when its bad.

I agree with the banning of cropping but not the complete banning of docking. I do agree it needs to be done by a QUALIFIED Vet.

I believe in most non American countries its illegal to preform any surgery on an animal that is NOT for medical reasons save for neutering.

When I have puppies I will not dock but may consider have the dewclaws removed.

#15 ·
I don't really have a preference in Poodles but I do in other breeds like Boxers, Schnauzers and Rottweilers. I prefer those breeds natural. Also I like a GOOD dock on a Poodle or a GOOD natural tail. It look off when its bad.

I believe in most non American countries its illegal to preform any surgery on an animal that is NOT for medical reasons save for neutering.
Im the opposite, I feel more sorry for those breeds than the poodle. As much as I hate el natural, the boxer, schnauzer, min pins, rotties and dobes look shocking with a tail. The bigger ones being the boxer, rottie and dobe have so much injuries its not funny.

Thats not exactly true, we use to perform all our own surgeries re cropping, docking, banding but no de***ing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.