Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watching loads of YouTube videos - trying to learn how to do German Ears - if you have a recommendation for me please share it here...
But what strikes me after watching dozens of videos in which groomers fight the good fight and seeing how the dogs are - neglected, untrained, terrified, matted to the skin and dirty because they obviously never even see a brush at home I cannot for the life of me understand why people would choose a dog breed with profuse hair if they have no intention what-so-ever to train for grooming. These dogs have near-on heart attacks - and the groomers try to do their best in the little time they have - why let your dog have to go through this experience? And I bet these are the same bafoons that believe that creative grooming is cruel...

·
Premium Member
22,990 Posts
I agree it is shameful to not take proper care of the dog and have grooming be such a horrible experience for them. We used to see a young couple with a spoo at various community events. The dog was alternately a hot hairy matted mess or nekkid. Eventually in conversation I learned that they di no maintenance combing or brushing and only took the poor guy to the groomer 2 or 3 times a year. It was very sad.

Neither of my dogs is in love with being groomed, but they aren't tortured by me while I am doing it either and if I run into something that has gotten ahead of me I bite the bullet and go short for the sake of the dog's safety and comfort.

Reactions: Moni

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's where I am at - bite the bullet and go short on the ears because the ear mats have gotten away from me and the amount of combing out it would take would ruin Louie's tolerance of grooming. He doesn't hate it but combing out the felty mess on his ear edges would take so much work - that is super uncomfortable, that he would learn to dread it. I am super picky when it comes to my own hair and hate it when someone tugs on it so I get it. After a reading dozens of threads here I also have a theory why he is such a hot mess right now - it's the uneven layers for one (lack of experience on my part) but also the sticking his head out the window and letting his ears flap in the breeze (buckled up of course) together with the beginning of coat change - I think all that is messing his do... So I will bite the bullet - German ears it is - which may just surprise us and look good on my little macho.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts