Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are importing a pup from Australia(arrives next week) and she will have to clear customs. I know that if they are breeding dogs then they have to have certain criteria met in order to import without a hassle. She will(hopefully) be a show dog and maybe one day breeding so I am not sure if she just comes in as a pet or if I should say she is for breeding??? Has anyone had experience with this? Please share if so....

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
It really has nothing to do with "criteria" of a breeder - every country has it's rules and regulations regarding importation of live animals.

Since you live in Hawaii - you might have even more hurdles since state of Hawaii is extremely strict with influx of plants and animals there and rightfully so.

I know that dogs coming from continental USA also have some period of quarantine before entering your state , at least was the case last time I checked (couple of years ago).

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It really has nothing to do with "criteria" of a breeder - every country has it's rules and regulations regarding importation of live animals.

Since you live in Hawaii - you might have even more hurdles since state of Hawaii is extremely strict with influx of plants and animals there and rightfully so.

I know that dogs coming from continental USA also have some period of quarantine before entering your state , at least was the case last time I checked (couple of years ago).
Well, I meant there are certain documents you must provide if the dog is a "breeding animal". http://foreignborn.com/visas_imm/entering_us/2bringyourpet.htm#purebred So I am not sure if they are referring to grown dogs or puppies as well. Perhaps I am thinking too much into it but I have heard customs can be scary:wacko:

Yes, we do have quarantine for animals coming from areas that are not rabies-free, but Australia is rabies free also so quarantine will be a breeze.

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
I'm sure North Dakota is very different than Hawaii, but when we brought Lucy in from Canada, we had to drive across the border. Besides having to provide her health certificate and vaccination records, we were asked several questions about where we got her, how much we paid, were we going to sell her?, breed her?, etc... Because she is not going to be shown or bred and she is OUR pet, and not for sale; the process was pretty painless... but again - that's ND for you!! :) I think if we HAD been planning on selling her or breeding her, the customs guys wouldn't have had any way to disprove our statements at the time anyway...

Good luck and we want to see pictures of your pretty when you get her!!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Oh , that is great that there will be no quarantine !!!:):):) I think that as long as all papers are properly filled out and exams done on the breeder side, that all should go smooth !!! Maybe you can consider importing from Australian breeder that already shipped dogs around the world - that way he/she would definitely know how to organize everything on her side : )!

I wishing you the best of luck with it all : ))) !!! There are some fantastic breeders in Australia !!!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Has your breeder exported dogs before? Maybe there's a kennel club you could contact. I imagine a lot of dogs are imported to Hawaii. JMO, and it's not worth much, but I wouldn't mention anything about breeding. It's a puppy and show "prospect." You really don't know if she's definatley show quality or if you'll want to finish her Ch at this point. Then there's the health testing. I would think "breeding animal" would pertain to an adult. Again that's JMO and I've never imported a dogs, I don't live in Hawaii and I'm not a breeder. I really think a reputable breeder, in Hawaii, of any breed, would be able to answer a lot of your questions.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Sounds to me like going with the pet option would be safest. I wouldnt think a pet raises to many questions as for breeding may have the potential too. Either way the dog first will be a pet and the potential for anything else is all second. Just my thought though...

Good luck with getting your new baby here. Post pics please when you get him/her.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts