Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These poor pups were French bulldogs rather than poodles, and therefore particularly vulnerable on a long flight, but any in-demand breed is liable to the same exploitation:

Choose a breeder with care, and examine the background, health and living conditions of the parents - help stamp out this sort of cruelty.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Such cruelty for profit is unforgivable. It's almost a given that exaggerated, escalated prices for puppies mean nothing good about the seller.

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
This is horrible ! Anyone trying to ship puppies with the heat wave we’re having now is a cruel, money minded person. I wouldn’t even ship a fish in this weather.

I hope they go to jail and pay a very high fine !

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Saw an article on this.... awful. Who would ship brachyphyillic puppies in this weather?! Unfortunately I suspect there is no law against it. I really hope they dont get the "profit" from selling almost 500 expensive bulldog puppies. At $2000-3000 each, I am sure the "shippers" consider even the 36 lost to be acceptable.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I think it is not allowed to ship any brachycephalic dog, but I've also heard that shippers will sometimes lie about the breed. It sounds like something really bad was going on in Ukraine when these puppies were shipped. Supposedly a bunch of the crates were shrink wrapped in plastic which was the main reason for the deaths. But they were also putting multiple dogs in each crate and other things that aren't allowed. Really bad. How do you even transport 500 dogs? It must have been a major nasty operation.

·
Super Moderator
3,345 Posts
... Supposedly a bunch of the crates were shrink wrapped in plastic which was the main reason for the deaths. But they were also putting multiple dogs in each crate and other things that aren't allowed...

Shrink-wrapped?!?! That sounded so crazy I had to google. Here's one of the articles with a photo of showing stacks of shrink-wrapped crates at the airport.

The vet acknowledged to another person that they were handling a situation and said, “Some idiot on the other end shrink wrapped several crates containing animals causing them to suffocate.”

This other news story with a video shows a photo of two large deceased pups crammed into a tiny carrier. (Warning, graphic photo.)

Each pug can sell for $4K in North America. Thus, this shipment of 538 French Pugs is valued at over $2,000,000 CAN/US dollars. That's an enormous amount of money by Ukraine standards.

I'll guess that if it was run by a mob-style group in Ukraine that they are extremely angry at the bad publicity and probable confiscation of all puppies, and that whoever was responsible for the shipping is no longer alive.

·
Registered
420 Posts
There seems to be some sort of link between the Ukraine and here for frenchies. I know of several people who bought one in Okotoks Alberta, which turned out to be registered in the Ukraine. They are priced on the low side, and many have giardia and other parasites. One lady was freaking out that she and her husband also caught some kind of parasite from their new puppy! However, those are all treatable. I haven’t heard about any long term health issues but as we know Frenchies are rife with them. Breaks my heart about those babies who perished. Here’s a photo of my princess to lighten the mood (registered in Canada, from a breeder who health tests) :) and there’s our poodle in the background :)
IMG_0159.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts