Poodle Forum banner

I'm thinking about taking this Spoo that's listed on Craiglist.

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  BFF 
#1 ·
I've emailed her owner a couple of times and I have some concerns. I know I already posted about this once but I've gotten a little more info and need some opinions. I asked for pics, but the reply I got is that she doesn't have any before her clip. I wanted to see her before, but I want to see pics period. She's about 2 1/2 hrs away from me and I'm not driving that far w/ no pics. (For all I know there may not be a dog; I don't trust CL.) I also thinks it's weird that she wouldn't have any pics from when this dog was a puppy. I asked if she was selling/giving her crate w/ her and was told she wants $150 for it. That sounds like a bit much to me, considering she also wants $150 for the Spoo's "rehoming fee." Plus it's a used crate; I could buy a new one for less. I'm really on the fence about this, plus the Spoo hasn't been around cats and seems to be an outdoor dog. The lady says she is giving her up b/c "she has too many dogs." Her replies seem pretty brief and she doesn't ask anything about me. I don't want to end up w/ an out of control 1yr old pup. I also don't want to hand money over to an irresponsible owner who only cares about $$$.

#2 ·
I would be very cautious. The crate cost seems odd - who would pay $150 for a used crate? And if rehoming is her main priority, why charge so much?

I have been looking for a dog that needs to be rehomed for months. I had one experience where someone posted a black mini male who looked very sweet in the photos. I spoke to her on the phone, asked her lots of questions and was satisfied that this dog might be right for me. So my parents and I drove 45 minutes to meet him. She said he was stable temperamented and "just the sort of dog I would keep." When we met him, he was hysterical and skittish and seemed terrified when we took him outdoors. He looked nothing like the photos that had been online. Her story kept changing as well - she claimed he had been kept by her older aunt and uncle who didn't have the time for a puppy. I personally feel that he came straight from some sort of puppy mill and she was acting as a broker.

Anyway, I know it's possible to get a great pet from something like Craigslist. But if there are already red flags before you've even met the dog, then I would personally be wary of making such a long drive...

This experience (and the fact that small, non shedding dogs in shelter and rescue here get snapped up very quickly) is the reason I decided to start looking for a breeder I was comfortable with.

#4 ·
Is the dog spayed? How many litters has she had? The fact that she wants to get rid of her as she has "too many dogs" could be code for "i am a pupymill, she isnt producing well, and i want to get rid of her to get another better dog". I am synical though. She may be a very nice dog, but the woman sounds shady to me. I dont like vague answers. If you do get her, buy your own crate. :)

#5 ·
I think your cynicism is warranted when it comes to things like Kijiji/ Craigslist. :) There's an awful lot of dogs posted there, and an awful lot of them that are coming from shady places. People know buyers don't want to purchase from a puppy mill, so they pretend they are "rehoming" when really they are just selling.

I would only get a dog from those websites from someone who seems concerned about where their dog will end up and asks me as many questions as I ask them. If their main interest is how much I'm willing to pay and how quickly I can pick up the dog, then I'm not interested.

#6 ·
Thanks for the advice guys, you've given me a lot to think about. I did mention in the other post that the dog is supposedly spayed and UTD on shots. (I'm definately asking for proof of both before handing over a dime.) I to am suspicious about this being a breeder. I definately don't want to pay anything to a irresponsible breeder. I already have an issue w/ a rehoming fee b/c I think more often than not, it's just rewarding an irresponsible breeder. (I do understand there are circumstances where dog have to be rehomed, though.) However, $150 seems fair if she is spayed and UTD on shots. I don't know if the dog has been bred or not, but I will ask, if I continue to email this person. I initially thought there was no way a 1yr old would've been bred, but after reading the "Red Breeder" thread, it's a concern. Thanks again so much for the advice, I really do appreciate it. Right now I waiting for pics and I will see what my "gut" tells me from there. I'm also thinking of asking if they will meet me in Amarillo. It would cut down on the drive for me. I would never do that if I were buying from a breeder, but in a rehoming situation it doesn't seem so bad. I would also feel safer about being in a city that I'm familiar with vs her small rural town that I've never been too. What do you guys think?

#8 ·
I'm also thinking of asking if they will meet me in Amarillo. It would cut down on the drive for me. I would never do that if I were buying from a breeder, but in a rehoming situation it doesn't seem so bad. I would also feel safer about being in a city that I'm familiar with vs her small rural town that I've never been too. What do you guys think?
I'd be really cautious of this. Seeing the home environment will give you a huge clue as to whether this is someone you are comfortable handing money over to for a dog or not. If you meet halfway, you'll have no knowledge of the dog's circumstances.

In terms of the cost, $150 seems reasonable for a rehoming if she's spayed already. Here in Toronto rescue dogs can cost up to $350 CDN.

#9 · (Edited)
I would gladly pay more to a rescue group that's going to put the money toward helping dogs. I just don't like the idea of "rewarding" someone for giving up a dog.

Either way, I'm out! I just got this email after requesting pics for the 2nd time: "just come by and see her" (followed by a phone number). They also said I should bring my cat by to see if they get along, when I asked about cats. (But they're allergic, so why would they want a cat at their house?) It left me w/ a really creepy feeling, so I'm done.

Thank you so much for the advice, if I find a more legitimate situation, it will be extremely useful!

#10 ·
I would gladly pay more to a rescue group that's going to put the money toward helping dogs. I just don't like the idea of "rewarding" someone for giving up a dog.
I so agree with this. It's one of the reasons I'm now so cautious about "rehoming" a dog. I really don't want to end up supporting some awful puppy mill or breeder when I thought I was helping out a dog that needed a home!

I'm glad you made your decision Harley. Where there's lots of red flags, there's most likely danger! Something else might come up that gives you a better gut feeling.

#12 ·
Thanks for the support Cdnjennga!

Raiko, I understand what your saying, but at the end of the day, I have to think about the pets I already have and my own safety first. (CL has a rep for seedy and dangerous ads.) After two attemps to get me to just come by, being more interested in money than finding a good home for their dog (who might not exist) and not answering my questions, I just don't feel comfortable. Looking back on some of the emails, they seem to be telling me what I wanted to hear (she's spayed and UTD). The original ad just said Standard Poodle w/ an email address. I also believe that money talks and I don't want to support someone who isn't responsible (whether they are a breeder or just an owner).

#13 ·
Don't do it unless you are serious about rescuing a dog. I feel bad for the dog, but if you do a least you can see what actually is going on if compelled to do so. Such as is she really a puppy mill or a ignorant person, that shouldn't have animals period? Either way you can always drop a dime if you find out lol.

#15 ·
She is in Pampa, I don't think that's very close to you, though. (just checked google maps and it's like 7hrs away for you. Thanks for the offer though!) The ad was posted in Amarillo, which is still over an hour away form Pampa. Not sure why they think I can just drop by. The unwillingness to produce photos and desire for me to drop by really makes me wonder if there even is a dog though. Either that or these people are just plain lazy and/or uncaring. I understand that dark dogs aren't easy to photograph well, but you'd think they would at least have a few. I think I'll ask again for pics just to satisfy my curiosity. (Even so they could just send me a pic they copied from somewhere.)

#16 ·
Harley Chic, I agree with your decision to keep looking. I don't think this is a legit ad. Pampa looks like it is in the middle of nowhere. Any respectable person would provide pictures and make accommodations to help you meet the dog (if there is one).

Follow your instincts. Another opportunity will present itself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.