Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still having trouble with Bauer being too exciteable, anytime someone comes to the house he freaks out and barks and barks until they come over to him. Then when he gets pet he starts going crazy and rubs against them and paws and runs in circles... I find it extremely aggravating because he is a big dog, probably weighs 40-50lbs and that's too much to be acting like that. On top of that, since he's male and jet black, when he gets excited like that his little red winky comes out and I find it embarassing.

He has a bark collar to solve the barking problem, we live in a community where the homes are fairly close together and since he doesn't STOP barking once he starts, he needs to wear the collar when he's outside. I'm still at a loss for finding a way to kill some of his energy, I walked him for 1/2 hr every day for two weeks and he still had insatiable energy. Every couple of weeks we go out to my parents' farm and he plays for hours with his brother Jackson, and at the end of the day he STILL has energy to burn. He will be 2 in December and I'm hoping with age he will settle down but I have been hoping that for a while now and trying to ignore the problems.

My husband can't stand him, they never really bonded. It's to a point now where I have lost my connection with him too, I really just find him annoying and I know it's totally unfair to him. My husband is urging me to find him a new home, but I'm torn because I keep hoping Bauer will just settle down with age. Bauer gets in trouble all the time now because he doesn't listen, when we tell him to come inside he refuses and we have to drag him in the house. Because of his pawing and excitedness he is not allowed to leave the mat at the door when he's inside, if my 2 year old daughter goes anywhere near him he gets excited and knocks her down. He's even scratched her face pawing her several times, and I have to put my daughter's safety first. He would never intentionally hurt her but he has accidentally hurt her way too many times. I just don't trust him anymore, so he doesn't get run of the house and he spends most of his time outside in the dog run or in his crate.

I'm afraid to take him to obedience classes because he bit a smaller dog at the groomer's once... he fights with his brother for a few minutes every time we go to my parents' farm, and once they establish dominance they are fine. I don't bring him around any other dogs because I'm afraid he might hurt them.

He has bad teeth, which we don't have $400+ to have him put under and have cleaned so we have been giving him tartar control treats and biscuits. We've also given him rawhides to help with that but he gets the rawhide all over his front legs and his breath stinks something fierce. This is another reason I have a hard time bonding with him, he can't be pet without getting excited and breathing all over me and being pregnant at the moment, the smell of his breath makes me gag...

I always had dogs growing up and always really bonded with them. Our last family dog Zoe recently passed away, she was a Giant Schnauzer and she was such a great dog... We had originally wanted that breed, but the breeder Zoe came from only breeds mini schnauzers and poodles now. She convinced us that poodles are way better dogs than Schnauzers but I almost wish I'd just stuck with my original breed. Poodles in general are nice dogs, very smart and nice looking but we weren't looking for such a high energy breed... And the worst is that my parents' dog who is Bauer's litter mate, is very calm. It's hard not to compare them but I really just like my parents' dog's personality a lot better... he would fit better with our family and our home.

I really like having a dog but I don't think I really care for Bauer all that much, and I know that's a terrible thing to say but it's the truth. I really loved him at first but I am getting tired of waiting for him to calm down... he was a lot smaller as a pup so the excited behaviour was far less annoying and dangerous. I really don't feel that it's good practice to send Bauer to a new home and find another dog who suits our family better... That seems to be what my husband wants but I think that is totally irresponsible. Who's to say we'll like the next dog any more than we do Bauer?

I'm just so stuck, I don't know where to go from here. I feel like I'm being selfish and unfair to Bauer by keeping him in a home where his owners don't really care for him. At the same time I also feel like I am being selfish for thinking about giving him away instead of keeping him and working on his problems. I have a new baby on the way in April and a two year old as well, and I am going to have less and less time for him.

What would you do?? Is/was your dog like this?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just want to correct a statement, by "his owners don't care for him" I don't mean we don't take care of him... I mean that we don't really get along with him or feel a strong bond.

·
Registered
100 Posts
First I would start on heavy obedience work. It sounds like that dog see's himself as the pack leader and has no reason to respect or listen to you. Then you might try getting a treadmill to release come of the energy that you aren't being able to work with. Walk him longer than a half hour....more like 1-2 hours (which I know seems impossilbe with our busy lives these days, hence the treadmill idea). I think he needs to be shown who is boss because right now, it sounds like he is and not you. Keep him on a leash at all times when he out of his crate, this way you have easy control over him at all times. And make him lay down and relax at times for an hour or more. You can easy keep him in that position by stepping on his leash. If he tries 15 times to get up.....put him back down 15 times. Eventually he'll get it and stay there. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We do have a treadmill but it's self-propelled and he can't get it going. I love the idea but we don't have the money to buy a treadmill at the moment... I can't wrap the leash around my waist like i have in the past since I have a baby in there, I'm worried he'll tug at it and hurt me. As for walking 1-2 hours I don't know when i would do that. I work 4 hours a day, the other 4-5 hours I'm trying to keep the house clean or making dinner... My toddler refuses to ride in a stroller and there's no way she could walk for that length of time. I have had a really hard pregnancy so far, the first trimester I had terrible sickness that lasted all day, so bad I had to go on medicine to keep it under control. Recently I've had horrible ligament pain and walking 1-2 hours a day is too hard on me... not recommended either. I work in a daycare so I'm standing, bending, chasing kids around and all that plus pregnancy plus taking care of a toddler leaves me with very little energy at the end of the day. It's all I can do to get out for 1/2 hour and take him around the block... And like I said, my husband can't stand Bauer so he wont take him for a walk. He's not very nice to Bauer as it is, he yells at him a lot and grabs him by the scruff of his neck to move him around when he doesn't listen. For that reason I no longer allow him to so much as feed Bauer because I hate the way my husband acts around him. Bauer is terrified of my husband, so much that he cowers when he raises his voice.

Don't get me wrong, my husband is a very gently man, he is very good with our daughter and doesn't shout at her... He loves my parents' dog and pets him all the time. He just doesn't like Bauer, and because Bauer knows that he refuses to listen to my husband. Vicious circle!!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I honestly think if he is not working out for you and your family you should try to place him in a new home. There is nothing wrong with finding a loving home for a dog that needs more attention and obedience if you can't provide it at this time. You keeping him is actually probably worse then re-homing him. He needs more 1 on 1 and you shouldn't feel guilty for placing him.

Of course be very selective of the potential new owners and don't feel bad turning someone down if you have a bad feeling. From what you said it sounds like your behond trying to get him back in check. He needs a fresh start with someone who is up for the challenge. You will feel bad buts its what is best for him and thats what ultimatly what matters.

Good luck to you if you decide to place him.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I agree with Jenn S. My sister is in the same situation with her two dogs....who now live with me. Poodles need lots of stimulation, from toys to walks to training and to me it sounds like you just don't have the time or want to work with a energetic dog.

I would contact whom ever you got him from and see if they will take him and if thats not an option I would get a hold of some Poodle rescues near you and have them help you place him. They might even have some suggestions to help you keep him.

Anyway good luck!

·
Registered
209 Posts
When we adopted Marley, a friend of ours recommended a dog trainer that would come to your home. That was exactly what we needed, because at that point there was no way we could have put Marley in a class. It was *extremely* helpful to have the one-on-one, and they taught us how to become "pack leaders." Maybe there is something like that in your area?

Also, in terms of exercise, we find that making him *run* really helps. Does he like fetch? Maybe instead of a 1/2 hour of walking, try a 1/2 hour of fetch (any off-leash dog parks in your area? or places where you can get away with having the dog off leash?)

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Boy do I know what you are talking about - you sound like you are descrbing Teddy although he is trying to be a good boy. I sometimes wonder if he would do better one on one with a lot of attention and affection - he seems to be starving for it and its just too much for me with my health. I just feel so guilty even thinking about rehoming him. We have had him for 1 and a half years now. He really needs at least an hour walk every day and I can't do that. Ginger has calmed down so much but Teddy is sooo exciteable.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
If someone who really loved poodles would come along and want to work with him and love him I would give him up.

·
Registered
82 Posts
He has bad teeth, which we don't have $400+ to have him put under and have cleaned so we have been giving him tartar control treats and biscuits. We've also given him rawhides to help with that but he gets the rawhide all over his front legs and his breath stinks something fierce. This is another reason I have a hard time bonding with him, he can't be pet without getting excited and breathing all over me and being pregnant at the moment, the smell of his breath makes me gag...
It sounds like his teeth are in bad shape and as his owner, it's your responsibility to come up with the money. If it was your daughter and her teeth where messed up to the point where her breath smelled so bad, it made people gag, wouldn't you come up with the money?

About his behavior, have you consulted an animal behaviorist? You give a reason for not taking him to obedience class that isn't very strong. If you want to keep him, try the obedience classses and the animal behaviorist.

Poodles need regular scaling to keep their teeth healthy. Right now, and I'm not saying you're doing it intentionally, you're neglecting him.

If you will not find the money to get his teeth fixed, please find a loving home where he will be taken care of.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Our toy poodle, Inca, had similar issues - manic behaviour, boundless energy, looking for mischief - when she was younger - 2 at Christmas. She was in the show ring at the time and although we had been to ringcraft classes, her energy was not being used up and we could not go to conventional obedience classes as they seemed to focus a lot on sitting, a no no in the show ring. After she came out of the show ring, we were able to let her off lead and this contributed to a dramatic change in her behaviour. To me, it's not the time spent on a walk that makes a difference, it's what you do with them on the walk. Half an hour off lead, is worth at least an hour on the lead. Playing hide and seek with them, gets them running between two of you and burns off energy and exercises their minds. If they are good at finding things, hide them on the walk and let them seek.

We also play with the poodles inside the house and garden. Garden agility is good and you can make the equipment for next to nothing. Filling a cardboard box with "treats" or toys wrapped in newspaper, is very entertaining - a bit like doggy Christmas. I cut slits in toilet roll holders, slide a flat piece in the slot and balance a treat on this flat piece. The dog has to pull the flat piece to get the treat. They cotton on really fast and enjoy the play. This playing with their minds often tires them more than actual physical activity.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
It sounds like his teeth are in bad shape and as his owner, it's your responsibility to come up with the money. If it was your daughter and her teeth where messed up to the point where her breath smelled so bad, it made people gag, wouldn't you come up with the money?

About his behavior, have you consulted an animal behaviorist? You give a reason for not taking him to obedience class that isn't very strong. If you want to keep him, try the obedience classses and the animal behaviorist.

Poodles need regular scaling to keep their teeth healthy. Right now, and I'm not saying you're doing it intentionally, you're neglecting him.

If you will not find the money to get his teeth fixed, please find a loving home where he will be taken care of.

I don't think you understand the difference from a dog and a human. Yes, many people treat there dogs like family but there is a point that you have to recognize that its still a dog. All of "US" dog owner's love our dogs but family comes first and for most.

Plus Im still not sure why you come off so knowledgeable about a situation when you do not own a Poodle or dog. This criticizing is coming from a person who wants to litter box train a dog because you live in a apartment!!?? Huh...very interesting!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I live in a condo, Secreto, on the third floor.

Is there something wrong with wanting to litterbox train a dog/puppy? If so, please tell me.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I live in a condo, Secreto, on the third floor.

Is there something wrong with wanting to litterbox train a dog/puppy? If so, please tell me.
Oopps... condo, apartment, whatever!

I personally think from what you have said about yourself so far, your a little more cut out for a cat. You seem to have plenty of negitive comments for everyone on this forum but you don't even OWN a dog. I also don't think you have any right to be negative and try to criticize people for the situation they are in when they are asking for advise.

And yes.... I think litter box training is for CATS. Thats just my opinion on it. If you don't live in a dwelling that is accommodating for a dog maybe evaluating the situation better would be the next step. Joining a POODLE forum and criticizing people that actually own dogs is not the way to go.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Marepalmer- If I was you since you live in a Condo...apartment...whatever,
I would go with a Miniature or Toy poodle. These dogs do well in an
apartment or suburban home. Just a suggestion. :)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Secreto...It's perfectly acceptable for people who live in condos to own dogs, as long as the dog gets enough exercise.

I don't think I'm critisizing anyone.

I DON'T HAVE ANYTHING AGAINST SOMEONE GETTING A DOG NO MATTER WHERE THEY LIVE. I HAVE THAT OPINION BASED ON HOW CONCERNED YOU HAVE MADE YOURSELF LOOK ARE ABOUT NORMAL DOG CHARACTERISTICS. THATS WHY I MENTIONED A CAT.

HONESTLY, I DON'T CARE IF YOU GET A DOG AND MAKE IT PEE IN A LITTER BOX. WHEN YOU CRITISIZE PEOPLE ABOUT THE SITUATIONS THEY ARE IN THATS WHAT'S UN-CALLED FOR. REALLY, READ BACK WHAT YOUR SAYING TO PEOPLE. IM NOT ONE TO READ IT AND NOT SAY SOMETHING ABOUT IT THATS WHY IM TRYING TO BRING THIS TO YOUR ATTENTION.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I think you should look into finding him a great home. With hubby not enjoying the dog - that has to be really hard, and then you said you have a little one and you are pregnant! WOW, that is alot on your plate. There are really good sites for that like petfinder classifieds. I'm sure you have heard this but I would just say "adoption fee" whether you intend to or not to keep bad people away. Then when people call - if the first thing they ask is about the adoption fee, you can decide what you think. But if they tell you about themselves, etc. you can hopefully decide if they would be a good fit.
I've had to rehome before and to see a dog that didn't connect go to a home that adores it makes you and your dog feel SO much better! Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
82 Posts
HONESTLY, I DON'T CARE IF YOU GET A DOG AND MAKE IT PEE IN A LITTER BOX. WHEN YOU CRITISIZE PEOPLE ABOUT THE SITUATIONS THEY ARE IN THATS WHAT'S UN-CALLED FOR. REALLY, READ BACK WHAT YOUR SAYING TO PEOPLE. IM NOT ONE TO READ IT AND NOT SAY SOMETHING ABOUT IT THATS WHY IM TRYING TO BRING THIS TO YOUR ATTENTION.
Secreto...it's not uncalled for. Read back to what Jehn said about this dog's breath and his need to visit the dentist. This dog needs his teeth scaled right away. She needs to come up with the $400 for the scaling. To let him go on like that with horrible breath, and unscaled teeth is neglect.

She came here for advice. As someone who reads these forums, and is here for advice myself, my advice to her is she needs to attend to the dental problem right away or the dog will continue to suffer.

Also, you continue to bring up the fact that I don't currently own a dog. No, I don't. I own several dogs as a child and I am trying to decide if I want to own one now. I'm seriously considering the poodle, which is why I'm here.

But, while I'm here, I'm not going to ignore posts where I can offer insight. Poodles have to have their teeth scaled or they will be messed up. That is what is happening to Jehn's dog. As his owner, she needs to do something about it. If she can't afford to have the teeth cleaned, he needs to go to someone who can take care of his teeth. The dog can't do it for himself.

I'm sorry if the truth offends you, Secreto.

And I'm not being cold or judgemental to Jehn. I'm just stating a fact: The scaling has to be done or the dog will suffer.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
This is what I think. Yes, we are here to give advice to those who
need it, but lets try to be NICE with the advice we give. In Jehn's
case it is up to her if she wants to replace the dog in a new home
or not, the way her situation sounds I would. I'm just going to state,
Jehn might not can afford $400 to have the dogs teeth scaled due
to their condition, and what if she places the dog in a new home...
would the new owners who took him in freely be willing to pay
$400 to have the teeth scaled? Not always. I don't think the dogs
teeth should have gotten in the condition they are in now, but
all we can do is try to be helpful and give Jehn kind advice and
guide her.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts