Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this morning...I took my little Mi Mi to get spayed....my nerves already shot from just thinking about it. NOW its snowing....and I can't go get my puppy. And im afraid by the time I can go get her...she might be stuck there. I wasn't allowed to feed her this morning...and Im pretty sure they wont be feeding her there. I live in the South...where you hear snow...you best go and stock up on milk and bread. Sure we have been getting some snow this winter...but my puppy is not at home with me and im getting really really anxious. I called the vet twice already and I'm sure i pissed the receptionist off. They said the soonest would be 2:30pm before I could come and get her...even though her surgery is done. My husband insisted to go pick up at lunch time. I just don't want her to be stuck there for 2 days and no one in the office....they have already started closing schools here, and to be perfectly honest...I dont drive in snow...I dont know how to drive on ice...and it scares me. Am i freaking out for nothing??? The phone line at the vet was busy for 30 mins at one point...im sure im not the only pet owner calling in concern about their baby. The receptionist sound stressed out and try to reassure me that by 2:30 the roads would be clear. I just dont know if im freaking out for nothing or should i get my butt in the car and go now!!!:smow:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Try not to worry. I am sure they wouldn't leave animals recovering from surgery all alone for days. They must have some kind of contingency plan for this kind of thing. And you probably will be able to get her today... I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try not to worry. I am sure they wouldn't leave animals recovering from surgery all alone for days. They must have some kind of contingency plan for this kind of thing. And you probably will be able to get her today... I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
thank you PaddleAddict...I just needed someone to get me to start thinking logically again.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I have always let my dogs getting spayed/neutered stay at the vet for at least a day. In my opinion they are better off in their care, people who can keep an eye on the stitches/sutures. I assure you your vet is more qualified to make sure everything is normal before going home rather than you trying to do that yourself.

I have always frowned upon vets letting dogs leave the same day. Especially a standard poodle puppy... I had such a hard time keeping mine calm even after getting them home after a day of rest at the vet.

I don't think you should worry, a vet will not let your dog starve and i'm sure food/water will be provided at least I know my vet fed the dogs science diet unless we left some food with them. I really think after surgery a puppy should be looked after by a professional.

You also say the weather is bad, what if something happens? What if she reacts badly to the drugs, what if she tears the incesion open? How are you going to get to the vet quickly to ensure she gets the proper care?

These are the kind of things you should think about. I know you miss your baby, i always miss mine and call the vet at least twice to make sure everything is normal during an overnight stay but I know if something were to happen I would much rather they be in vet care rather than having to rush them back myself.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I never let mine stay over night. No one is there with them at night. If they are at home with me I can at least call and take them if I need to. My BC had to have kryptorkid surgery (sp?). He would have been in bad shape by the time they came in the next morning. He ripped out all his stitches and I had to call her back to the office in the middle of the night. She was very upset that I would call after insisting that I take him home. If I hadn't what would have happened. I don't use that vet anymore.

My current vet knows my rules and doesn't give me a bit of grief about it. When Reece was spayed she was still groggy when they brought her to me at my shop. She curled up in her bed and slept. She was much more comfortable being with me. I watched her closely, and she did fine. She didn't even have any medication.

I too would be in a hurry to get my baby back. I don't know what I would do if the weather was bad. I think they would have to swear to me that someone would be there over night with the dogs.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I never let mine stay over night. No one is there with them at night. If they are at home with me I can at least call and take them if I need to.

Same, if the vet's is not staffed overnight, we insist on bringing them home. It helps that my mom is a nurse though! I remember when our PWD had parvo at 8 months my mom fought with the vet over her staying there versus her coming home. The first night she was home, my mom had to stay up all night with her and felt that if she'd been at the vet's all alone, she would have died. We'll never know for sure, but I know we're happy we had her at home. She pulled through and lived until old age.

·
Registered
578 Posts
There is no one overnight at my vet's office either. They have always wanted to keep them overnight but I feel since no one is there, it's safer at home. If there's a problem I can get them to an emergency animal hospital. It's also quieter and more comfortable at home.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
The vet I used is a 24 hour place so I suppose that does make a huge difference. I picked them because I like being able to call at anytime to check on them,

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
I hope to hear all went well and you have Mi-Mi home with you soon and she heals well. This poo-parenthood can wreck your nerves at times! I am SO SPOILED, not only does our vet live nearby (his office is attached to his home) but he has a mobile unit and makes house calls. I've spoken to him more early mornings and late nights over the years than I can count. He ALWAYS returns a call very promptly. And his receptionist is a living doll, warm, patient and competent. Wish I could clone them and send them your way! Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts