Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I attended the Vermont Professional Photographers convention the last four days. I had five images submitted for the print competition. Two of them were dogs; one doberman and one spoo. Both received blue ribbons and the image of the spoo received one of the Judge's Choice Award.

Here they are:

Dianne's doberman - blue ribbon

Dianne's spoo Grace - blue ribbon and Judge's Choice Award

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You never know....maybe I'll make it to Florida one of these days. I actually have a friend who lives down there for the winters. She has a home right down the road from me and is here in Vermont for the summers. She used to live in Sarasota but bought a home with her significant other this year and moved to Punt Gorda. I have no idea where that is down there but I can google it. I have an open invitation to visit anytime but there's the little matter of the air fair! LOL They aren't giving those away yet.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Those are beautiful photos! I'd love to see a bigger one of the spoo, kind of hard to make out the detail.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Oh just make it a drive & bring the 4 legged kids, I'm K9 friendly. LOL You have to hit my house before you hit Punta Gorda.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Holy cow! And that is pretty much the dead time of the year for photographers!! Now there's an idea!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
lovely pic :) Congrats ! Go on ahead and add the panhandle to that florida trip :p You can take a little tour and follow the florida circut, our kennel club's shows are at the tail in of the circut, end of Feb- ish.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I'm always ready for pictures lol!! I'm sooooo bummed that I can't take Jazz and Saleen up to montgomery this weekend for the show :( My favorite photographer is there, we're delivering Mr. Wonderful though so I'll have my hands full. No time for two hyper spoos that day.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Wow, those are awesome pics! I'm drooling over the Doberman, was he hard to photograph? I have a Rottie and it's not easy to get a good pic of him. (But then I'm not a professional, LOL!)

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Awesome pictures ! I wonder if they have something like this where I live. I submitted some photos in an art contest before and even thought I did not win I was in the top 8% I think out of thousands of entries.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Awesome pictures ! I wonder if they have something like this where I live. I submitted some photos in an art contest before and even thought I did not win I was in the top 8% I think out of thousands of entries.

That is really awesome!

This particular print competition was through my state organization for professional photographers. We also have a regional one and of course the national one PPA. I am a member of all three of these organizations so I am able to enter the competitions at a reduced rate. They are expensive. There are strict rules for presentation that have to be adhered to or your print is automatically disqualified. One print for competition is anywhere from $35 to $65 depending on which lab you have it printed at. There is also a fee for entering called the print case fee.

There are other types of photo contests that you can check out. You can find the on the internet or in photography magazines. They can be a lot of fun and less expensive to enter.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, those are awesome pics! I'm drooling over the Doberman, was he hard to photograph? I have a Rottie and it's not easy to get a good pic of him. (But then I'm not a professional, LOL!)
The set up for the shoot was intricate with five ProFoto lights and various diffusers. However, getting her to cooperate wasn't hard. My sister just baited her and when she got bored with that, she tossed things in the air like her car keys to get some expression out of the dobbie. This is her last dobbie and I wanted to make a really nice portrait of her to hang. I never thought it would bring me an award.

Believe me, not all dogs are that easy. I have helped photograph other dogs and some were a dream and others were a nightmare. The differnce for me is that if I'm hired to get a portrait, I have to get it. Sometimes it is necessary to actually reschedule an animal that just won't sit for you. You need to have all sorts of tricks in your bag when you photograph children and pets. If I new something about your dog I might be able to make some suggestions.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you. I am finally doing something that I am passionate about. Since it comes from my soul, it is easy to get great captures. Like Carly was a very special little spoo for us and moved us spiritually so are certain people, animals, places, and things. When one moves me like that, I dive in with such a passion because I just have to try to capture that something that is so special.

I wish I had changed my profession years ago. Other jobs I have had took a lot out of me through stress because I didn't like them. But I am so happy in what I am doing today!! It isn't putting much on the table yet but I expect it will in the near future.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts