Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bringing home a puppy in the winter is a lot harder than bringing home a puppy in the summer. So if you are planning on getting a puppy just keep that in mind.

There are less opportunities to get out and play or go to parks and it's COLD outside so most humans without the benefit of a fur coat get cold and don't want to play outside for long periods of time. Here it has rained a lot so it's muddy and wet and it's difficult to get out in the rain as many times as you need to for a puppy's potty habits. It just complicates things so I thought I'd put that out there for people wanting puppies.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yes now that we've done it we realize how much more easier if it were summer.... just extra cleaning and time outside in the cold during the winter... I didn't realize how much time the first few weeks we would be outside waiting for the potties to come!!! Haha. It's all so worth it though :)

I'm soo very excited to enjoy the summer with our Rio! Beaches, camping, and exploring, oh-my!

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I can't even imagine. u_u

My puppy is scheduled to be born in July, that means I won't get him or her until about september.. which means I'll be training it through winter. x_x I'm not looking forward to that, especially with the Utah winters.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I can't even imagine. u_u

My puppy is scheduled to be born in July, that means I won't get him or her until about september.. which means I'll be training it through winter. x_x I'm not looking forward to that, especially with the Utah winters.
oh fluffy, I didn't know you had your name down on a litter! woohoo!! Regardless of the time of year! lol

·
Registered
681 Posts
I can't imagine having a puppy in winter. But we are very spoiled by the weather here, I'm hoping it's not too terribly rainy this winter, but our pup will be a bit older when he comes home, so he should be a bit easier to train.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Ha ha Tina :rofl: - it must be HORRIBLE to stand in that 80 F degree rain :pound: and that lasts for about an hour a day LMAO

·
Registered
681 Posts
In 2006, we had 40 days and 40 nights of rain. I am really not kidding. It was terrible. The flooding was terrible, and my dog refuses to go out when it's wet. I will NEVER forget that winter! I don't miss cold, freezing Iowa winters, that's for sure ;)

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
My aunt lived in Haiwaii for a bit, she had to get her dogs debarked when they moved out there, and I hear that a dog dies every week from eating/biting the poisonous toads there. What sort of other dangers do you have for dogs there in HI?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I bet it makes it a lot harder b/c you guys are having an unusually wet/cold winter in South Texas. Tina's post made me remember all the rain in the spring/summer of 07. (I think it was 40 days and nights.) I don't know if it made it that far south, but it was bad in Austin and San Marcos. I don't know when I'll end up w/ a pup. The breeder has one litter due anyday, so they will be ready to go in March, perfect timing. Unfortunately I'm not that high up on the list, so I may be waiting for their next litter which will be ready to go in the fall. (Different females btw.) On the flipside, I've heard parvo is worse in the warmer months. (I have no idea if it's true though.)

Tina, is parvo a big issue in Hawaii? I've heard it's pretty much rabies free.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I bet it makes it a lot harder b/c you guys are having an unusually wet/cold winter in South Texas. Kalamama's post made me remember all the rain in the spring/summer of 07. (I think it was 40 days and nights.) I don't know if it made it that far south, but it was bad in Austin and San Marcos. I don't know when I'll end up w/ a pup. The breeder has one litter due anyday, so they will be ready to go in March, perfect timing. Unfortunately I'm not that high up on the list, so I may be waiting for their next litter which will be ready to go in the fall. (Different females btw.) On the flipside, I've heard parvo is worse in the warmer months. (I have no idea if it's true though.)

Kalamama, is parvo a big issue in Hawaii? I've heard it's pretty much rabies free.
Oh that wasn't me. It was another person from Hawaii:) Parvo-yes it is here but no more in my opionion than the southeast US. No rabies-that is the main reason for the quarantine. I have never heard anything about poisonous toads but Oahu is very, very populated so that may be true on the more rural islands.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Harley, yes it's a very odd winter this year. Instead of our usual rainy season in spring we've had it in winter which basically sucks. No one wants to go outside when it's 40 degrees and raining. This isn't just drizzle rain either, it's pouring rain.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Very interesting - just found this :wacko: !!!! I was going to HI for the past 15 years and never heard about them or saw them :scared: and I always spend a lot of time exploring HI habitats - just crazy that nobody ever mentioned them :wacko:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It's most common for dogs to become poisoned by Bufo Toads. In Hawaii up to 50 dogs a year die after being poisoned by Bufo Toads. When the dog mouths the toad it instinctively defends himself by releasing its venom from its parotoid glands. Often times the dog will bite down on the toad enabling poisonous venom to squirt directly down the dog's throat.

Usually the dog owner becomes aware of the issue once the dog exhibits excessive drooling while shaking its head relentlessly. First Aid should be administered right away. This would include washing out the dog's mouth with a steady stream of water. Don't point the water down the dog's throat. Wipe toxic secretions off the gums and teeth with a cotton towel and rinse again with water. If symptoms continue seek veterinary assistance immediately."

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Oh that wasn't me. It was another person from Hawaii:) Parvo-yes it is here but no more in my opionion than the southeast US. No rabies-that is the main reason for the quarantine. I have never heard anything about poisonous toads but Oahu is very, very populated so that may be true on the more rural islands.
I changed it, I saw Hawaii and just assumed it was you. Sorry to both of you, I'll keep you straight from now on.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Harley, yes it's a very odd winter this year. Instead of our usual rainy season in spring we've had it in winter which basically sucks. No one wants to go outside when it's 40 degrees and raining. This isn't just drizzle rain either, it's pouring rain.
That's the worst kind of weather there is, IMO. Snow is fun, but cold rain just sucks. The first time I went to Louisiana, I packed shorts and warm clothes. I think I brought one light hoodie. Wouldn't you know the whole time we were there, it rained and it was COLD!!!!! I expected Louisiana in April to be warm.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
In 2006, we had 40 days and 40 nights of rain. I am really not kidding. It was terrible. The flooding was terrible, and my dog refuses to go out when it's wet. I will NEVER forget that winter! I don't miss cold, freezing Iowa winters, that's for sure ;)
Tina - you made the right move. It's freezing here in Iowa right now. We are expecting -17 tonight! I brought Frank, my IG, home in February six years ago and it was VERY interesting training him. He actually did very well - just followed the older dogs outside. He was paper trained by the breeder, but preferred to do what the big dogs did. :biggrin:

·
Registered
681 Posts
The Bufos are more of a problem on the Leeward side of the island than on Windward, I'm sure that makes a big difference. At our old house, we killed probably 25 Bufos in three years. At this new house, so far we haven't seen any. There are also centipedes, and in dry years big flea problems. Hawaii is rabies free, so if you want to come with a pet, check into the quarantine rules. When we moved back, we needed to have a four month "at home" quarantine to have Midge released directly to us at the airport, even though she was born here. We did have our old Chesapeake Bay Retriever pick up a Bufo. We had to wash him off and try to wash his mouth out with soap. We then had to take him to the ER vet for more assistance. Farther west, closer to Waianae they also have scorpions. We've never encountered them where we live, but we've had friends that have.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
My last 5 have all been winter babies! None has had a problem with going outside, then again I do not act like I want to go back in or am I in a hurry. Rain, we have a raincoat and rain shoes at the door hanging on a tree, winter time we have the big coat and boots and gloves. The recent cold has actually gotten them to come in quicker but they really don't hang out unless I do and we do what I call a "walk-about". My eldest doesn't like to get her feet wet so she'll make tracks to the stones. If they got to puke I use a dish pan, typically one under the bed and the other in the Laundry room which is close to the other side of the house near the living room if they are not near one of the six doors to take it outside.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I think I got lucky because this winter is colder and snowier than normal here. Usually my house gets covered in mud from my kids tracking it in but there is so much snow pack covering the ground that my house is staying relativly clean.

My boys are already potty trained (they did that themselves) so I got to skip the standing around waiting in the cold waiting for poo to drop.

Getting the boys socialized is another story. I am having a hard time getting out in the cold and finding venues for them to get new experiences. The dogpark is usually pretty much empty except for us, there are no outside events, our town isnt very dog friendly so we cant go to the mall, etc. I have taken Mercury to church every sunday and he and I have started dog classes but there isn't much like that for Jupiter. Merc is in training as a therapy dog. Mercury has a very laid back tude about everything but Jupiter is more nervous, more high strung so Jup needs socialization more than his brother. I do take them to my kids schools to pick them up and make sure lots of people mess with the boys but I wonder if that is enough. I'd love to put Jup in a class as well but need to get Merc through first.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts