Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
nd it's not bernie's fault- he's such a fabulous dog. I have a danish farm dog that we rescued this summer. He has had dog agression issues (ie god forbid you take him to a dog park) he's been doing great in rehab- but he's had a bullying issue with bernie from day one. Finally bernie just had enough of it. Bernie in no way ever has started anything. We've spent the last 1.5 months with a house full of baby gates. keeping them seperated working with dog trainers (Though i teach obedience this was a 'hey i need some more ideas here") and today we had another incident when working with them together (leashed)

Reality is Bernie is easily rehomed. Jackson i took on a life time commitment with. He has no issues with many other dogs (We've fostered four dogs since getting him) but neither dog is happy. Bernie wants to be with teh family all the time- not behind the gate 1/2 the time. I worry that the kids won't be able to keep them behind the gates (We currently hav ea two gate system in use when the kids are up so there is a 'dead space' just in case between) I can't leave them with a house sitter in cse something happened.

SO canadians if anyone knows anyone looking for a lovely fabulous tempermented adult spoo. Bernie is looking for a home.

So now i'm just feeling very heart broken over this. bernie is perfect. there is not a thing i'd change about him. other then what ever it is that sets jackson off :(

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear this, but I really admire the commitment you've made to Jackson. I'm sure you'll find a wonderful home for Bernie.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'm so sorry it isn't working. I'm glad you're doing the best thing for both dogs. You're right, Bernie would be much easier to rehome. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a family coming saturday afternoon to meet him. Two boys- big back yard and in a town just 15 minutes from the city (will be actually only 10 minutes from where i'm looking at moving to in the spring). So fingers crossed that these people are AWESOME and that their house is AWESOME.

cuz it's gunna take awesome to get me to let him go. :( i'm going to cry so much i love this dog way to much. I'll have to go with my plan of a puppy (jackson is aok with puppies nd dogs that grow up with him it seems wait he's aok with 90% of dogs *Sigh* just THIS one he doesn't like)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Oh my gosh NeVar im so sorry that you have to rehome Bernie! I know what its like to have an aggressive dog and its a lot of work and it can be a big liability. Im glad your trying to rehab Jackson. I ended up having to put mine to sleep because he bit a person in the face as well as being extremely aggressive towards other dogs. I hope all goes well and keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thnks mister. Jackson came with bggage- but is not usually agressive with other dogs in our home (hve had 5 foster dogs since we got him never a problem until bernie) but is gressive in situations like a dog park etc.

nd i probably cn get us to a point we can live in harmony- but it will take months if not year or so- and in the mean time one dog is always behind a gate and neither is happy. Bernie is such a great dog- i got him not knowing 100% he'd fit in with our house- or wht his personality was. But he's such a great dog and should be so easy to home (seriously other hten his love of being on the couch which i allow he's got not a problem!)

but i'm gunn cry like baby. Jackson is my heart dog. i connect with him in a way i don't with the other 3 in my house. but gosh bernie is by fr the best behaved in the house- the easiest dog i've ever had, and just such sweet boy- he's finally strting to connect with people rather then just being there with them. . .

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I hope everything goes well with the family on saturday. I hope they'll be better than awesome.

I don't know if I'd add another puppy into your home though until Jackson has had more time to adjust. It's not been even a year yet, and lots of training should be done with him before adding to your pack again to avoid a situation similar to this.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh locket i'm not looking at putting a puppy into our house right now at all. Jackson is quite used to dogs in and out- we've fostered 8? dogs this year since i got him.

i'm in the middle of selling a house and moving- plus will be breeding my aussie bitch spring '11.... possibly keeping a pup from that litter as well...

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bernie is going for a week long trial tonight with his new family. really nice folks with two adorable kids (Watching the three year old try to say bernie was adorable). They are off buying a kennel and a dog bed and have agreed to my silly requirements like "bernie likes to go on the couch and bernie needs a bed IN his kennel"

He's going to be a great dog for them the parents both work so he's going to be home alone during the day but he's used to that now- and happily chills out on a dog bed when i leave him home so after a few adjustment days should be awesome for them.

I"m happy they are great- but i'm also so very very sad.

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
I"m happy they are great- but i'm also so very very sad.
:hug: I'm relieved that Bernie has a new family. I'll keep him in my thoughts and pray that everything goes well forever and ever!!!! You were there when he needed you - Good job!!!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I'm so happy to hear that Bernie has landed on his paws! Sorry for how sad you must be feeling though. :( You did what was best for your situation, and the good thing is that Bernie will most likely be very happy in his new home. Please do keep us up to date on his progress!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I'm so sorry you had to re-home Bernie. I can't imagine how you feel right now but I'm sure it was for the best. I hope this new home is the right fit for him. At least you know in your heart your did the best thing for him.

·
Registered
243 Posts
You have a kind heart and are doing what is right for you and Bernie. I hope everything works out and they love Bernie as much as you do.:)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah i'm pretty darn heart broken- i've fostered 8 dogs this year. never let myself get attached til this one. . .

but great family HUGE house- he'll get the roam of it- they got him huge kennel (I told them to get big -since he's house broke) he'll be home alone- but after a few days will have the freedom of either a room or the whole house to himself while they are gone. adult dog was definatly teh right choice for them. They got him big plush bed for in the kennel as i told them he definatly was more comfortable with one in there (I said a blanket- they got the delux bed) got him great locally made food that is top notch (I sent them to a good store) treats nd all that. He will be happy wiht them once he figures out he's there to stay. He stared out the window when i left- he was very confused not coming with me- he's quite "my boy" in new situations.

ONLY iffy thing is this- i hd kiah (My aussie) and him at work when they met him and their son got small scratch on his face (kiah jumps kid jumping around blah blah) and when they got home he had some hives....

But we lso know it was kiah who got him right there. So hopefully he doesn't react to bernie. HE hasn't reacted to dogs before- but you never know at that age (3)

that's my only worry about this house not working out. Meanwhile i'm tempted to move into their kitchen. Seriously huge house.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Poodles tend to be excellent for people with allergies. I have dog allergies with some breeds and I live with two spoos and a cat just fine, no hives. I've gotten hives from cocker spaniels though and many breeds that shed dead skins cells quickly are horrible breeds for people with allergies. I bet he will be fine with them.

Boy you'd never adopt a puppy to me as I don't allow dogs on the couch and don't have a bed in Mia's crate.;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts