Poodle Forum banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Oh, no, this is absolutely not normal and I don’t think it has anything to do with housebreaking.

But first, let’s address the 1-2 hours with your parents. How do you manage to watch him so he doesn’t have any accidents when he’s not with you ? I’m afraid he is far from reliable and this will only delay his training.

Then the lunging. Definitely a problem and it probably has to do with your energy and attitude towards him. Unless you are inadvertently hurting him. Can you describe when he becomes aggressive ? Is it when you want to bring him back to your room, or when you are handing him to your dad ? Please describe step by step how this happens. If you can, post a video too.

You can’t let this go on or you might have a serious problem on your hands, ie you might get bitten.
He has always had issues with resource and space guarding, I’m afraid what I’m perceiving to be anxiety is making it worse. Basically when I’m done giving him over to my dad, he begins by growling while he’s still sitting and then proceeds to get up from where he was sitting on the couch and bark some more. Usually it stops at that and he goes back to where he was before. But tonight, he followed me around and wanted me definitely away from the area. Whenever I would call his name sternly, he would be back near me barking again.
he does this whenever he sees a new person walk into the room as well. For example, I could be sitting in the kitchen and my brother walks in. He proceeds to bark for a second or two. He has bitten us before when we have tried picking him up against his wishes. I usually only pick him up when he signals me that he’s okay with it.
I’ve always known this is a separate issue to be dealt with, but I think it has definitely not gotten better during this process.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
He has always had issues with resource and space guarding, I’m afraid what I’m perceiving to be anxiety is making it worse. Basically when I’m done giving him over to my dad, he begins by growling while he’s still sitting and then proceeds to get up from where he was sitting on the couch and bark some more. Usually it stops at that and he goes back to where he was before. But tonight, he followed me around and wanted me definitely away from the area. Whenever I would call his name sternly, he would be back near me barking again.
he does this whenever he sees a new person walk into the room as well. For example, I could be sitting in the kitchen and my brother walks in. He proceeds to bark for a second or two. He has bitten us before when we have tried picking him up against his wishes. I usually only pick him up when he signals me that he’s okay with it.
I’ve always known this is a separate issue to be dealt with, but I think it has definitely not gotten better during this process.
This is serious and needs an experienced hand. Get a trainer as soon as possible. You can do video calls. Don’t wait until someone gets seriously hurt.

It is fixable and it won’t take forever, but you need to know what you’re doing and also you want to avoid taking risks.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
You said he was abused by multiple people as a puppy?

At this point, I'd reach out to a reputable trainer or veterinarian in your area, for referrals to a behaviourist. You might be in over your head.

Peggy's had just few resource guarding episodes and I'm already feeling the situation's beyond my skill level.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
(Honestly, cobbling together bits and pieces of well-meaning advice here, even from experienced dog owners, might be making your situation worse. Dogs need consistency, especially anxious dogs. So this also means no one should be handling him right now unless they're dog savvy, and you've suggested your parents aren't.)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #85

At this point, I'd reach out to a reputable trainer or veterinarian in your area, for referrals to a behaviourist. You might be in over your head.

Peggy's had just few resource guarding episodes and I'm already feeling the situation's beyond my skill level.
Yes it’s definitely not something to take lightly 😔 I hate what they have done to him. And even though he is much better than he was when he first came to us, there are moments where he still snaps. I’m trying to find a reputable trainer that would be willing to tackle this problem over calls. None of the apps I know of right now seem to offer specific training for resource guarding

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #86

Actually good point. I should reach out to his vet and ask for some referrals. That seems like a better option

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
(Honestly, cobbling together bits and pieces of well-meaning advice here, even from experienced dog owners, might be making your situation worse. Dogs need consistency, especially anxious dogs. So this also means no one should be handling him right now unless they're dog savvy, and you've suggested your parents aren't.)
Meaning I should probably just keep him in my room all day, huh? 😕 I thought I’d be easing his anxiety by letting him go to the living room where he wants to be but I’m probably making it worse

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Yes it’s definitely not something to take lightly 😔 I hate what they have done to him. And even though he is much better than he was when he first came to us, there are moments where he still snaps. I’m trying to find a reputable trainer that would be willing to tackle this problem over calls. None of the apps I know of right now seem to offer specific training for resource guarding
Speaking from my personal experience, I think you definitely need a personalized program, not an app or website. Another possible resource would be your local Humane Society or SPCA. They likely have a behaviourist or trainer on call. Our trainer works closely with our local shelters.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Meaning I should probably just keep him in my room all day, huh? 😕 I thought I’d be easing his anxiety by letting him go to the living room where he wants to be but I’m probably making it worse
I'm having trouble wrapping my head around your living situation. I didn't realize there were other people in your home until your most recent update. I'm sorry if I missed that in my initial response.

Maybe he'd actually be better off in the living room. I don't know. I don't know your family and I've not observed his interactions with them. I'm sorry. I wish I had more to offer you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Speaking from my personal experience, I think you definitely need a personalized program, not an app or website. Another possible resource would be your local Humane Society or SPCA. They likely have a behaviourist or trainer on call. Our trainer works closely with our local shelters.
So I can just call them and ask for a trainer? There aren’t any specific papers/processes to fill out/go through?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
I'm having trouble wrapping my head around your living situation. I didn't realize there were other people in your home until your most recent update. I'm sorry if I missed that in my initial response.

Maybe he'd actually be better off in the living room. I don't know. I don't know your family and I've not observed his interactions with them. I'm sorry. I wish I had more to offer you.
You’re totally fine, I never really specified. A lot of my problems with Monday stem from my family either not contributing to his training or not being totally dog savvy. That’s why I’ve been having him with me here. You’ve done more than enough to help me so far so thank you so much

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for posting this question and for all the helpful suggestions and references!! They will be a great help for me too! Good luck zzz! 😩

81 - 93 of 93 Posts