Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday Sisko and I went out on a potty break inside our apartment complex. We came across this lady, her adult daughter and son, and their dogs. The lady asked if the two dogs could say hi to Sisko. I told her no because he was still in training, so she had her kids put the dogs away and we started talking.

She recently lost her Doodle (he was old) and was way too interested in Sisko (I had decided to buy a pinch collar for Sisko for while my ankle was healing and before I found something better ot taught him not to pull) Sisko only pulled once toward the lady and after that he didn't do it again. Sisko eventually calmed down by himself, I was so proud of him!!

Her adult daughter came back out and Sisko got up, but wasn't crazy. GOOD. Than they started asking Sisko to sit and give paw. I don't like strangers to give any of my dogs commands. I'm going to start teaching him commands in another language. Not sure what just yet.

They gave me strange vibes and I just didn't like it at all. They seemed too interested in him. It felt strange. After yesterday, I will tell people that they can look, but they can't interact with him. Sometimes I wish Sisko wasn't so friendly and was more aloof.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Good for you to listen to your instincts. I’d be off put by strangers giving commands out of nowhere to my dog too. Now, if I gave them a treat to give my dog, then I’d understand why they’d try that. But still doesn’t dismiss your unsettled feeling.
Hopefully their interest in Sisko is nothing more than appreciation for poodles. But it sucks you have to be on guard for neighbors thatmake you uncomfortable.

Are you planning on keeping Sisko away from strangers forever, or just for awhile while you train him?
Your post leads me to believe you’ve had several encounters with people who’ve given you a bad vibe if you’re wanting to completely avoid strangers with Sisko.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I would keep certain commands, like sit, give paw, in English. If he ever ends up in prison it will be obvious that he has training

·
Super Moderator
3,456 Posts
Good for you to listen to your instincts... Your post leads me to believe you’ve had several encounters with people who’ve given you a bad vibe if you’re wanting to completely avoid strangers with Sisko.
That's been the case in my case in my case. I don't live in the best neighborhood. When I first got Bella I took her out on walks.

Once a man cursed me out b/c I wouldn't stop and talk to him about her.

Another time a 10 y/o girl wanted to hold her, and would have run off with her but her mother was standing there and appalled at her kid's behavior, who then started whining "but I want a puppy!"

The 3rd time I had just finished walking her on a trail next to the river and heading back to my car. Some lady saw us, drove past us then made a U turn back toward us, but I barely noticed it. By then I was in my car with the engine running. So she stops hers in the middle of the street and starts talking to me thru her car window. She must have eagle eyes b/c I don't know how she recognized Bella a poodle pup, b/c Bella is black and at the time weighed 3lbs, and I had been holding her with my dark jacket also in my arms when she first spotted us!

She asked a bunch of questions and said a pittbull had killed her toy poodle and where did I find mine? I gave vague answers; no way I'd want my breeder to sell to someone who is around pittbulls. It was kind of unnerving and I was glad I was in my car. She was probably harmless but way too shiny-eyed about my poodle.

After that, the few times I've taken Bella out is when I can park at the Capitol (I live in DC), or my daughter's neighborhood which is high end where purebreds are common. I thought of moving but the rent is good, my place is quite nice and minutes away from my job. But Fenris, that lady was probably harmless too but follow your intuition.

If you get a microchip, the AKC is the best b/c if you ever get a new phone number or address, you don't have to pay them extra to change this information in their database.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would keep certain commands, like sit, give paw, in English. If he ever ends up in prison it will be obvious that he has training
He would never end up in prison. If anything happened to where I couldn't keep him I would take him back to his breeder because I know she would take good care of him and find him another good home or he would go to someone I knew who had animals, and took great care of them and trained them.

But the only reason I would give him away would be if he didn't get along with other animals. That would be the only reason why I would get rid of any of my animals.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good for you to listen to your instincts. I’d be off put by strangers giving commands out of nowhere to my dog too. Now, if I gave them a treat to give my dog, then I’d understand why they’d try that. But still doesn’t dismiss your unsettled feeling.
Hopefully their interest in Sisko is nothing more than appreciation for poodles. But it sucks you have to be on guard for neighbors thatmake you uncomfortable.

Are you planning on keeping Sisko away from strangers forever, or just for awhile while you train him?
Your post leads me to believe you’ve had several encounters with people who’ve given you a bad vibe if you’re wanting to completely avoid strangers with Sisko.
Yeah, I would be fine if I gave them a treat too. Okay, I won't. Yeah, I hope it is too. It does. I can't wait until we can move. Not because of them, but we are sick of this apartment complex.

It will depend on the circumstances now. I had let him say hi to everyone when I should have only allowed it sometimes. It wasn't that so many people gave me a bad vibe, but they also didn't know what they were doing when meeting a puppy. They encouraged him to jump, mouth, bark and act crazy when meeting him. It has taken so much time for him not to act crazy when meeting someone. The worst he will do now is keep barking.

I have been reading on socializing for dogs and trainers are saying that they can interact with what ever it is, but that they shouldn't always be interacting with it. I can leave up somethings for examples, but I think it teaches them that seeing people and othrr dogs isn't hyper rewarding.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's been the case in my case in my case. I don't live in the best neighborhood. When I first got Bella I took her out on walks.

Once a man cursed me out b/c I wouldn't stop and talk to him about her.

Another time a 10 y/o girl wanted to hold her, and would have run off with her but her mother was standing there and appalled at her kid's behavior, who then started whining "but I want a puppy!"

The 3rd time I had just finished walking her on a trail next to the river and heading back to my car. Some lady saw us, drove past us then made a U turn back toward us, but I barely noticed it. By then I was in my car with the engine running. So she stops hers in the middle of the street and starts talking to me thru her car window. She must have eagle eyes b/c I don't know how she recognized Bella a poodle pup, b/c Bella is black and at the time weighed 3lbs, and I had been holding her with my dark jacket also in my arms when she first spotted us!

She asked a bunch of questions and said a pittbull had killed her toy poodle and where did I find mine? I gave vague answers; no way I'd want my breeder to sell to someone who is around pittbulls. It was kind of unnerving and I was glad I was in my car. She was probably harmless but way too shiny-eyed about my poodle.

After that, the few times I've taken Bella out is when I can park at the Capitol (I live in DC), or my daughter's neighborhood which is high end where purebreds are common. I thought of moving but the rent is good, my place is quite nice and minutes away from my job. But Fenris, that lady was probably harmless too but follow your intuition.

If you get a microchip, the AKC is the best b/c if you ever get a new phone number or address, you don't have to pay them extra to change this information in their database.
Vita, I'm so sorry you and Bella went through that. That is CRAZY! But some people are. I could see a 4 or 5 year old doing that, but a 10 year old??? She really should have known better. Whoa, maybe she did have eagle eyes. Yeah, it is when people have those shiny I want your dog eyes. I know some Pittbulls are normal dogs and I have met some nice ones, but way too many people have ones that are nasty, don't train them and or abuse them, but also while I say this I wouldn't walk Sisko in a neighborhood that had aggressive ones (or any aggressive dogs) living there. I'm glad that you didn't give her your breeder's info. I can see why you do! I would do the same with Sisko I'd I could.

Okay, thank you, Vita! That's awesome.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Shiny I want your dog eyes scare me. I've seen them, too. I've learned to be a whole lot less open to talking to strangers and it's made my life more pleasant. "I love your dog." is now a mental cue to say, "Thank you," and leave before a conversation begins. I don't give strangers an opportunity to meet Noelle. There are too many weird people out there.

If your Spider Sense is tingling, exit the area. Always.

·
Registered
532 Posts
@Vita i recently saw your post about the little kid trying to run off with your dog and my jaw dropped. I can’t believe a guy cursed you out for refusing to talk to him. And the story about the lady in the car gave me the absolute creeps just reading about it. It sucks that you have so many shady people around. But I can see how good rent and a convenient work commute would keep you in place, especially knowing how prices and traffic are crazy in DC.

@Fenris-wolf other people can reinforce the worst behaviors in our dogs, ugh! They have no idea they’re doing it and won’t take the correction from us because they’re too nice or because “they’re dog people.” It’s hard because puppy socialization is so important and it’s a delicate balancing act. Lacey has HORRIBLE greeting manners, constantly standing and putting her front paws up on people. But then they try to pet her and she ducks away like NOPE for most people. Then she’ll come back and prop herself on them again. It’s not acceptable for any size dog to do! I think small dogs are worse about this not only because people allow it and react positively, but because they’re so far away from the person due to their height. I could be wrong there.
i think it’s nice that Sisko loves people too much rather than being aggressive and fearful. It will be easier to train him to be more calm with others. Your right, dogs shouldn’t have to interact with every other human or dog they see. Now that Lacey is older I don’t ask many people if she can say hi. I focus on continuing our walk and ignoring people like they’re not there.
Im glad to hear that you haven’t had too many bad run ins but I hope wherever you move is a happy place for you, Sisko, and your family.

For the most part people in Minnesota keep to themselves and avoid too much eye contact. I do get people smiling and looking at Lacey often. Sometimes in passing they’ll say she’s cute and ask what kind of dog she is, but nobody has prodded me about her or had the shiny “I want you dog” eyes.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I will say however, I’ve always been extremely good at reading people and if someone gave me a bad feeling I have no problem continuing on my way and keeping eyes in the back of my head.
Now that I think about it, I had bad vibes from someone once. Consequently it was the first and only time Lacey has been approached by a loose dog that got away from its owner.

·
Super Moderator
5,733 Posts
A neighbour once told me I had to be the boss, took the leash from my hand and demonstrated leash pops while making a "tssst tssst" sound. I was too stunned to react as quickly as I should have.

I think covid makes it easier now to ask people to stay away. Just put out a hand and say "I'm social distancing." I did that recently at the beach and felt so empowered.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Leash popping would have resulted in me losing my temper, badly. As in, national news, badly.

I'm glad you found being able to say, "I'm social distancing," empowering. Claim that personal space!

·
Registered
532 Posts
At least you didn’t make enemies with your neighbor by reacting badly, even though they deserved it. You can live in peace and just ignore them. Even if you felt you’d reacted more quickly, I still have a feeling you’d react in a way that’s classy and smart.
Being able to use social distancing to set boundaries is one of the few good things about the pandemic. People respect and understand that reason, no explanation needed.

I have the opposite problem. I’m a nice person. I really am. But I get nasty really fast if someone does something that crosses the (theoretical) line with me. Then I look like the bad person when I’m not the one in the wrong. That excludes work, since I’m in a professional role.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shiny I want your dog eyes scare me. I've seen them, too. I've learned to be a whole lot less open to talking to strangers and it's made my life more pleasant. "I love your dog." is now a mental cue to say, "Thank you," and leave before a conversation begins. I don't give strangers an opportunity to meet Noelle. There are too many weird people out there.

If your Spider Sense is tingling, exit the area. Always.
Click, yeah, those are scary. I'm going to do the same from now on with Sisko.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A neighbour once told me I had to be the boss, took the leash from my hand and demonstrated leash pops while making a "tssst tssst" sound. I was too stunned to react as quickly as I should have.

I think covid makes it easier now to ask people to stay away. Just put out a hand and say "I'm social distancing." I did that recently at the beach and felt so empowered.
OMG some people!! I'm so sorry that that happened to you guys.

I'm so happy that it empowered you. I will do the same too. That is what was even stranger, they didn't have mask on. I was too nice really.
Leash popping would have resulted in me losing my temper, badly. As in, national news, badly.

I'm glad you found being able to say, "I'm social distancing," empowering. Claim that personal space!
I feel the same. I would have lost my temper when they snatched my leash.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
other people can reinforce the worst behaviors in our dogs, ugh! They have no idea they’re doing it and won’t take the correction from us because they’re too nice or because “they’re dog people.” It’s hard because puppy socialization is so important and it’s a delicate balancing act. Lacey has HORRIBLE greeting manners, constantly standing and putting her front paws up on people. But then they try to pet her and she ducks away like NOPE for most people. Then she’ll come back and prop herself on them again. It’s not acceptable for any size dog to do! I think small dogs are worse about this not only because people allow it and react positively, but because they’re so far away from the person due to their height. I could be wrong there.
i think it’s nice that Sisko loves people too much rather than being aggressive and fearful. It will be easier to train him to be more calm with others. Your right, dogs shouldn’t have to interact with every other human or dog they see. Now that Lacey is older I don’t ask many people if she can say hi. I focus on continuing our walk and ignoring people like they’re not there.
Im glad to hear that you haven’t had too many bad run ins but I hope wherever you move is a happy place for you, Sisko, and your family.

For the most part people in Minnesota keep to themselves and avoid too much eye contact. I do get people smiling and looking a
They can! I hate the "I'm a dog person". Please tell Lacey I said that's not nice 😤. Yeah, people let little dogs get away with so much because they think it's cute or funny. It is good that Sisko isn't aggressive or fearful. I think you're right that it will be easier to teach him to be calm. That's awesome that Lacey can ignore people while walking. Thank you!
I will say however, I’ve always been extremely good at reading people and if someone gave me a bad feeling I have no problem continuing on my way and keeping eyes in the back of my head.
Now that I think about it, I had bad vibes from someone once. Consequently it was the first and only time Lacey has been approached by a loose dog that got away from its owner.
I am too. What happened?

·
Super Moderator
3,456 Posts
A neighbour once told me I had to be the boss, took the leash from my hand and demonstrated leash pops while making a "tssst tssst" sound. I was too stunned to react as quickly as I should have...
I would have been surprised too, but probably okay with it if we had past genuinely friendly exchanges. I also suspect it's one of those things were social boundaries differ depending on where you live.

I had to google for 'leash popping'. I never heard the term, but recognized it immediately on the YouTube videos.

I never tried leash pops with my toy poodles nor needed to, but vaguely remember doing exactly what your neighbor suggested a few times decades ago when my cocker spaniel was a puppy and got too rowdy or excited when on walks and she'd see another dog or squirrel. I suppose it worked b/c she was extremely well behaved before she hit adolescence, and I have no idea where I learned this. With my poodles, I only use or or used the "tsk-tsk" sound for barking too much.

So Peggy, did you try it and did it help?

·
Registered
532 Posts
I am too. What happened?
This happened back in April. Lacey had met a mini golden doodle and they were running around and playing at the hockey rink at the park. It was one of the first humid, but not hot days.

As we began to walk home she just plopped down on the ground for the first time ever. It worried me, so I picked her up and carried her for about half a block until I could tell she wanted to get down.

No more than a few steps later I saw an English bulldog come running from the side yard of a house and across the street toward us. even though I know they say not to, I immediately picked up Lacey. Of course the bulldog kept trying to jump up and get to her while I repeatedly turned my back to it.

Suddenly the bulldog stopped and ran back into the street, almost getting hit by a truck. Once the truck could pass, I see a man slowly sauntering from the side yard of the house, another unleashed bulldog walking next to him. Where he came from had a fenced back yard. I crossed the street to the yard knowing the bulldog would follow me so he could grab it.

instead, he sat down in the grass and grabbed his already in control bulldog’s collar while trying to reach and grab the crazy loose one’s collar as it ran around him.

I finally grabbed his dog’s collar and led it to him while he calmly sat there with a very strange smile on his face. He thanked me and apologized for his dog. Then he set his eyes on Lacey. I can read people’s eyes. They were not kind eyes even though he was smiling. I felt unsettled. He said how pretty of a dog she was and asked what kind she was, complimenting her color. He said about three times in a short amount of time how pretty she was. I told him poodle, be careful because his dog had almost been hit by a car, have a good day, and went on my way.

As I walked down the street, I turned around to check, and he was still sitting on the ground in the same spot, holding his dogs’ collars and staring at me. Periodically I kept turning around until I’d be out of his sight, and every time he was still sitting there.

I’ve never seen him or his dog prior to this or after this. I regularly walk in front of this house. It was just weird. At the time I know it freaked Lacey out, but she’s never had a problem walking in that area and wasn’t permanently affected by it.

·
Super Moderator
5,733 Posts
I would have been surprised too, but probably okay with it if we had past genuinely friendly exchanges. I also suspect it's one of those things were social boundaries differ depending on where you live.

I had to google for 'leash popping'. I never heard the term, but recognized it immediately on the YouTube videos.

I never tried leash pops with my toy poodles nor needed to, but vaguely remember doing exactly what your neighbor suggested a few times decades ago when my cocker spaniel was a puppy and got too rowdy or excited when on walks and she'd see another dog or squirrel. I suppose it worked b/c she was extremely well behaved before she hit adolescence, and I have no idea where I learned this. With my poodles, I only use or or used the "tsk-tsk" sound for barking too much.

So Peggy, did you try it and did it help?
The issue was that she physically corrected my dog without my permission. It would be like someone demonstrating a spanking on your child. Imagine?? Eek.

And no, I don't use leash pops anymore. But they were very popular 15+ years ago.

I get better results now with positive reinforcement than I ever imagined possible.

·
Registered
626 Posts
This happened back in April. Lacey had met a mini golden doodle and they were running around and playing at the hockey rink at the park. It was one of the first humid, but not hot days.

As we began to walk home she just plopped down on the ground for the first time ever. It worried me, so I picked her up and carried her for about half a block until I could tell she wanted to get down.

No more than a few steps later I saw an English bulldog come running from the side yard of a house and across the street toward us. even though I know they say not to, I immediately picked up Lacey. Of course the bulldog kept trying to jump up and get to her while I repeatedly turned my back to it.

Suddenly the bulldog stopped and ran back into the street, almost getting hit by a truck. Once the truck could pass, I see a man slowly sauntering from the side yard of the house, another unleashed bulldog walking next to him. Where he came from had a fenced back yard. I crossed the street to the yard knowing the bulldog would follow me so he could grab it.

instead, he sat down in the grass and grabbed his already in control bulldog’s collar while trying to reach and grab the crazy loose one’s collar as it ran around him.

I finally grabbed his dog’s collar and led it to him while he calmly sat there with a very strange smile on his face. He thanked me and apologized for his dog. Then he set his eyes on Lacey. I can read people’s eyes. They were not kind eyes even though he was smiling. I felt unsettled. He said how pretty of a dog she was and asked what kind she was, complimenting her color. He said about three times in a short amount of time how pretty she was. I told him poodle, be careful because his dog had almost been hit by a car, have a good day, and went on my way.

As I walked down the street, I turned around to check, and he was still sitting on the ground in the same spot, holding his dogs’ collars and staring at me. Periodically I kept turning around until I’d be out of his sight, and every time he was still sitting there.

I’ve never seen him or his dog prior to this or after this. I regularly walk in front of this house. It was just weird. At the time I know it freaked Lacey out, but she’s never had a problem walking in that area and wasn’t permanently affected by it.
😱 I'm glad you got out of that situation safely. Sounds like a creeper.
The issue was that she physically corrected my dog without my permission. It would be like someone demonstrating a spanking on your child. Imagine?? Eek.

And no, I don't use leash pops anymore. But they were very popular 15+ years ago.

I get better results now with positive reinforcement than I ever imagined possible.
That, and most people do them way too hard. If somebody did that to one of my dogs, especially without my permission, they'd have granted me an allowance to lecture them on the differences between negative and positive training techniques for hours. 😁

1 - 20 of 25 Posts