Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has been increasing my budget a lot after getting on this forum. There was originally a breeder I found on AKC marketplace, and they sell puppies for $1800. However they do not have enough testing on the parents. Then I found a breeder and they have a female dog but I prefer a male, they have testings of parents but just do not upload them on OFA. Price is $2400 plus $150 shipping. T_T I thought it is above my budget because at that time my budget has only increased to strictly $2500. Then I found another breeder but I am not nearby so I guess without a friend of the breeder traveling from the breeder to my state, it would cost me around $500 to get a puppy from them or I need to physically flying there myself which is around $200 plus time and renting a car. I have finally find a breeder nearby and have all tests and is reputed. But they only have female puppy left, however based on their experience, they recommend a female puppy to me instead of a red. But the final price I am getting it is $3000 plus I need to drive to a nearby state to pick up the puppy (about 11 hours of drive) T_T

My friend got a golden retriever from a champion line and it costs him $2500. Even he is saying "why is it so expensive?" Am I really getting what I really need? I am putting down a deposit soon. T_T I have increased my budget by $1000 since the searching journey. What is the actual range? Am I getting a puppy from the high end? T_T

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,791 Posts
Yes, this sounds high to me, but I’m glad that you’re taking the time to find a breeder you’re happy with. I suspect you could save some dollars by getting on a waitlist rather than looking for a puppy that’s ready to go. Puppies are at a premium right now due to high covid-related demand.

This might ensure a better fit, too, as you can be matched to the right puppy based on temperament/lifestyle compatibility, rather than just choosing whatever puppy is available.

I speak from personal experience. :)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Money is relative. How much is that to you in terms of rent/mortgage? (don't answer that here)

I'm not impressed by breeders who let dogs fly on their own. But that's just me.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
It depends?

Does the breeder offer a health guarantee? What are the terms? Does the breeder do genetic tests and all the non-genetic physical tests (eyes, cardiac, hips, patellas, etc, depending on the variety) required by OFA for that poodle size? Does the breeder show the dogs in conformation, obedience, or other sports? Does the breeder match based on temperment?

If the answer to all of those questions isn't 'yes' then yes, I would say that price is way too high. If the answer to all those questions is yes, then maybe it's higher than average, but the breeder sounds like a good breeder, and it's up to you to decide what you are able and willing to pay.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. She offers a health guarantee. I didn't pay the deposit though because she only has two male puppies and I am the third on the waitlist and the two buyers in front of me wanted males. I was okay with female as I thought but I kept on worrying all night and after I did some research I feel I still want a male more. Not sure if it is true or not. I was reading: Male vs. Female Poodles: What are the Differences? | Poodle Report. My female family pet was really stubborn and really attached to me. So I liked my male family dog more actually because he was more carefree. He just hang out with everybody and have fun. I feel my female pet is more like a girlfriend even though I am a female too, but my male dog is more like a kid who has his own life. So I prefer a male more. So it is like what the article described - male likes all family members, but female is attached to one person and stubborn. I am not sure about the independence part though as my female family dog is not independent at all. I felt actually kind of bad that she waited until everybody of the family comes home and will just play with us a bit then waited near the door and then had her own life after everybody comes back. I don't want my dog to be like that, so I choose to still wait for a male.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
When one questions themselves and feel unsure, I find it is best to just step back and wait . I also feel $3000.is too high. My standard comes from a reputable health tested line and I paid no where near that. Standards have good sized litters most times and most reputable breeders do no have to charge such a high fee even when they cover their expenses. Prices also differ in areas. I'd expect to pay more for a pup from California than I would from a dog from Mississippi. Its all relative.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes. She offers a health guarantee. I didn't pay the deposit though because she only has two male puppies and I am the third on the waitlist and the two buyers in front of me wanted males. I was okay with female as I thought but I kept on worrying all night and after I did some research I feel I still want a male more. Not sure if it is true or not. I was reading: Male vs. Female Poodles: What are the Differences? | Poodle Report. My female family pet was really stubborn and really attached to me. So I liked my male family dog more actually because he was more carefree. He just hang out with everybody and have fun. I feel my female pet is more like a girlfriend even though I am a female too, but my male dog is more like a kid who has his own life. So I prefer a male more. So it is like what the article described - male likes all family members, but female is attached to one person and stubborn. I am not sure about the independence part though as my female family dog is not independent at all. I felt actually kind of bad that she waited until everybody of the family comes home and will just play with us a bit then waited near the door and then had her own life after everybody comes back. I don't want my dog to be like that, so I choose to still wait for a male.
My two cents on the m/f choice.
Our boy used to pee on one specific plant at a time in my back garden and when it was dead, he'd move on to another plant! Used to drive me bonkers!
Also, if we had had ever had a burglar break in, he probably would have told him where the valuables were for a steak and a scratch.
Our previous girl and our present have made incredible guard dogs for us also.

I'd also say, take your time. You're going to have them in your life for a long time, hopefully, so a little more looking might turn up the perfect breeder for you.
Remember the saying, "marry in haste, repent at leisure"? ;)
Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts