Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I not really sure where to put this...and I hope I dont sound like a brat.

But last month we started 4H dog training. I've been doing it for 4 years and I LOVED it. The trainers were very strict and we worked on obedience, and trained for the show that was a couple months later. The trainers were very hands on and if you werent doing something correctly they'd tell you right away and help you perfect it. I was in the novice class, so that's why the trainers were kind of strict and there was also another class for the younger beginner kids who's dogs have had no training what so ever. I looked foreward to going everyweek.

This year they decided to change it up and get all new trainers who have no idea what they're doing. We waste 45 mins deciding who goes with what trainer so we can practice for our games. There are 9 trainers (wayyyy to many trainers and it is just hectic) and 29 dogs. The whole hour and a half we're there we play games, not train our dogs. There is little training with our dogs. In the past month the only thing we've taught our dogs to do is sit and down, which my dog already knows, she's been doing this for 4 years! All the other dogs are doing really well and are perfect with their sit and down but the trainers arnt moving on! We play games the entire time, red light green light and simon says EVERY week. Honestly the only reason I go is so Atticus gets socialized with new places, people and dogs. I find it a waste of $20. I appreciate that the trainers are coming out and trying to give us a fun time, and taking time off their night. But I just really wish they had things planned out and used our time wisely. They have everyone in the begining level and there are kids in it who are in my level of training with their dog or higher and I can tell they are frustrated too.

There is an obedience trail next month which everyone is competeing in, I have no idea how everyone is going to do since they havnt taught us anything we are going to be using in the show! We havnt worked on heel, long sit, long down or even standing our dogs...I really want to complain and get it back to the way it was. I had so much fun the other 4 years I've done it. This year I am standing there doing absolutely nothing with my dog. I just stand there and talk to the trainer about poodles, and tell her how I've trained service dogs, lol. They ask for tips for training dogs and I tell them and demonstrate on my dog, atleast the trainers are learning something...

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I can understand your frustration and that of the others too but have you asked these trainers why you and the others are wasting time and money to play games rather than to train your dogs for competition? That would be where I would start.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Yes that's a good opener, ask what things the dogs will need to learn before the competition and ask if you can start focusing on those in class. Say that you'd like to train your dog to behave for the competition and maybe they will start to focus more attention the things you need to learn instead of just having a playdate.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Start talking to others to see where they stand, I would say something. I hope your not shy:) You are very dedicated and I agree and don't want to see you wasting your money.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not shy, I'm just scared I'll offend someone or they'll take it the wrong way. I dont wanna come across as a brat and have everyone there not like me, I hate awkward situations.

I'm thinking about e-mailing them tomarrow night after class, or talking with them after class. I hope things improve!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Maybe you could just mention that you've been going for 4 years and really enjoy it (start with a positive). Then say you've noticed that this year there seems to be more of a play than obedience focus, and ask if this is going to be the approach moving forward as you were hoping to get trained ready for the competition.

Anyway, good luck, hope you sort it out! It's a shame to spend that money and not get what you were hoping for. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts