Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gheesh..last time at the vet - i had him check again (real quick look over) . vet said no

Can it just be dry skin? i give winston a 1 1/2 tsp of salmon oil daily. His skin is white though - could it just be dry skin? what color is healthy poodle skin?

Winston, scratches and "bites" himself a good part of the day - much more than just an occasional itch. I'm VERY concerned. There is flakes of white in his fur. He's been groomed several times - groomer has never mentioned "oh your dog has fleas"

I noticed his itchness from the time we brought him home in Dec 09. He was on pedigree but weaned him off weeks ago. He's on a Gluten, Corn, Soy free dog food. "By Nature Puppy Food" brand

i know flea on dog means flea in home

all suggestions/comments welcomed

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I would think if he had fleas, you'd be seeing signs of it (besides itching) such as "flea dirt" in his coat/on his skin which are tiny blackish pieces of stuff that if you get wet will turn red (it's the blood rehydrating)...

Are his treats as good as his puppy food? If there is something in his treats that he's allergic to, you could still be having symptoms.

The owner of the "Gourmet Doggie Diner" here in Bismarck also suggested that allergies can come from common forms of protein, such as chicken...

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
258 Posts
definitely sounds like allergies, zulu's brother was experiencing the same thing, he got tested and is allergic to chicken, turkey, potato and sweet potato. i would find a food with one novel protein (bison, herring, rabbit, etc) and no gluten, rice, corn, beet pulp, soy etc. some times it can take a while for you to see a difference. be sure to restrict other sources of food. we changed zus diet and she slowed down her itching, just to find out that she would get into my roommates kitten food every once in a while. she has gotten a lot better since that has been cut off. Good luck! sometimes it just takes some trial and error...

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I'm puttin my 2 cents worth in here. ELIMINATE wheat....wheat gluten, wheat flour etc....that mean no biscuits or cookies, no greenies, nothing with wheat.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Personally it sounds like dry skin to me. Esp. if you are seeing dry flakes in his fur. Increasing the salmon oil would be my first step.

·
Registered
562 Posts
If he were my puppy i would switch to a grain free food (none of my dogs eat grains, they arent allergic but most dogs are).
I would then give him advantage (frontline doesnt last as long on my dogs for some reason).
Then i would wait a week then bath him in an oatmeal shampoo.

Hope this helps. Oh and if he has flaky skin or bad ears then chances are he is allergic to his food. Switching up the protein source should take care of that too. So if its chicken go to lamb, if its beef go to venison, etc.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
He looks black and it's very hard to see fleas on a black dog. I didn't see them on my dogs at all but they were biting and scratching and when we saw a flea on the cat I treated them all. The dogs were put on comfortis and the cat got advantage. No more biting or chewing and I don't see the scratching like there was either. You will need to treat the house as if there were fleas even if you haven't seen them. I used borax and vacuumed the house a lot. Once you use comfortis though, anything that bites them dies.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Maybe it is a food allergy, like others have said.

I was thinking we had a flea problem here this past summer (our backyard is flea central, no matter what we put on the dogs or in the yard, they're still present), however the vet tested my terrier, and it turns out she has an allergy to grass. Annoying, but easily treated with benadryl.

I would definitely get him tested for a possible allergy... or it may just be REALLY dry skin, but definitely worth checking all the facets to see what it could be!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Yes - it could be any of the above - fleas, dry skin or allergy !

I would ask my Vet to do allergy skin test on him and I would vote for Comfortis as first line flea treatment since they die instantaneously.

What your Vet said about his front leg ??? I am sorry if I missed that post but often think about that :rolffleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts