Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mum says chasing chickens is very, very naughty, but if I do find some to chase it is a Very Good Thing NOT to bite them, because they are more likely to recover and save her from feeling guilty and horrible.

Sophy says there is no point chasing things unless you are going to catch them and eat them.

Tilly-cat says chasing things you want to eat is a waste of energy - you should creep up on them very, very slowly and then POUNCE! Sophy thinks that is a good way, too.

And I just like chasing and grabbing things that flap and squawk and run away...

So who is right?

Poppy xx

·
Registered
529 Posts
Best listen to Mom on this one, Poppy. Try catching a mouse instead. There will be less complaining and recriminations- could result in a bath, though.

Reactions: fjm

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mice are fun when Tilly brings us one home to play with, but they are really difficult to find outside - they hardly make any noise at all.

I s'pose you are right... life is very boring sometimes...

Poppy xx

Reactions: Newport

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I might if Mum would let me. She says I am never, ever, ever to do it again...

Is there anything that is just like chickens but that I can chase without getting into trouble?

Poppy xx

·
Premium Member
9,688 Posts
How lucky you are to encounter a chicken! My favorite food! I love to flush less tasty birds, that flock or land in MY yard. I can chase rabbits and squirrels, sadly I haven’t caught one. I can teach opossum hunting even to Tilly. I had a silent capture/“kill” a few nights ago. I am still trying to figure out how they are never where I left them. Happy legal hunting!

Your pal,

Buck

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sounds my sort of place, Buck - can we come and play in your yard? We don't have opossums here, Mum says, but Tilly is very good at catching rabbits, and so is Sophy - they both know how to creep up on them. Sophy caught a baby one once, and Mum asked her for it so Sophy politely let it go, and Mum put it back in its hole! So next time Sophy went looking right over by the hedge, a long way from the path across the field, and made sure to eat the rabbit before Mum could find it.

I just like chasing, and the rabbits bounce back into their burrows before I get near them. Squirrels are lovely to chase, too, even if they do then sit in the trees and make rude faces at you.

Our morning walk is now full of sheep, and Mum says we have to be on leash when they are around just in case. Sheep are very, very strange. They stare very hard, then some are quite sensible and move calmly away when we come closer, following their grannies, but some ask to play, stamping their feet in a play bounce and dashing off madly, and then you get into lots and lots of trouble if you chase them. I started to once, but Mum called me in that voice, and sheep are not as exciting as chickens so I heard her and stopped. And once we met some animals that looked a bit like sheep and cows but not quite so big, and we thought about chasing those but Mum said not to, so we all stood and watched them for a while - Mum said they were dear, but she didn't say why, or dear what. I don't mind cows, as long as they don't sniff my bum, and we know about having to be very polite to horses. But I do wish there was something as good as chickens that it was safe to chase...

Poppy xx

·
Registered
158 Posts
I don't know what a chicken or sheep or an opossum is. NYC is verrrrrrry boring. I thought about chasing the squirrels but the don't run far. The mom says it is because tourists feed them and they forget to be scarred of very scary doggies like me.

I think it is very interesting to chase garbage but all of the No Furs say "No", "Leave it!" and "Yuck".

What about leaves? Those can go very fast!

Sometimes I like to chase the furry thing that follows me everywhere. Only problem is when I catch it, I fall over. Then the No Furs say "Silly, stop chasing your tail."

Please keep telling me about your cool chasey stuff. I am jealous.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Dear Poppy,

Humans are so strange with their rules. Chase this. Don't chase that. I like SQUIRRELS, but my human says they aren't for chasing either... Pfft.... My human's dad keeps offering to shoot one for me, but my human says no. I think I'd like to get to carry a squirrel around... She says I can chase a ball. Balls are fun, but not as much fun as SQUIRRELS.

Chickens sounds like lots of good flappy fun! And you caught one! That's the best part.

How 'bout's seagulls? They are fun, and flappy... Sometimes we go to the beach and my human lets me chase them off, though I've never caught one. She lets me chase canada geese sometimes too, but i think those are much bigger than you... She says I am helping keep the beach clean.

xoxo Annie

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mum says no to seagulls, too, because where we live is a special place for them and there are not many places for them to rest and people with big eye telescopey things get cross if dogs chase them. And the big scary geese chase me, and make hissy spitty noises so I stay away from them. It is all very difficult. The chickens I chased were specially little ones, just the right size for a small dog, and very very squawky and flappy and feathery and fun. But Mum says it is Not Allowed, and especially Not Allowed when they are pets with names...

Poppy xx

Reactions: Charlie's Person

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I got to chase chickens for a couple of weeks when I was a puppy! One time I got a long feather, but it wasn't a very good treat...

I am 10 now but still dream about how fun it was:) It is probably one of those funny dreams where my legs are going while I am sleeping on my side, ... and then my mom laughs at me when I wake up.

I agree, don't kill them! That would be terrible to have them gone so you couldn't chase them any more.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I liked the noise the chicken toy made when it squawked, but went back to sleep when it played music. I have got a chicken toy Mum got me specially, but Sophy likes it more than me so we swapped presents - it has fur instead of feathers, and doesn't squawk or flap or run, so isn't much fun.

This was only the second time I have really been able to chase chickens - the first time was when I was a puppy and we visited Mum's sister Clair and next door's chickens had crept under the fence into her garden and Mum didn't know and let us out for pees and poos and it was GLORIOUS! They flapped and squawked and ran around the garden scattering feathers, and then they flapped back to their pen, and I chased them, and then I bounced up and down round the pen - Mum says all she could see were my ears flapping up and down behind the fence as I jumped. That was 10 years ago, but I have never forgotten, so when more chickens walked out right under my nose last week of course I chased them. I did think about biting the one I caught, but Mum grabbed me before I could decide and wouldn't let me chase them any more. But yes, we can still dream about it...!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Mum says chasing chickens is very, very naughty, but if I do find some to chase it is a Very Good Thing NOT to bite them, because they are more likely to recover and save her from feeling guilty and horrible.

Sophy says there is no point chasing things unless you are going to catch them and eat them.

Tilly-cat says chasing things you want to eat is a waste of energy - you should creep up on them very, very slowly and then POUNCE! Sophy thinks that is a good way, too.

And I just like chasing and grabbing things that flap and squawk and run away...

So who is right?

Poppy xx
Oh Poppy! I love reading your posts. Charlie the Poodle had to learn that chasing turkeys, chickens and sheep is BAD when visiting Opa's farm. But chasing the Gestapo Geese when they lie in wait outside of the travel trailer and attack his people when they stagger out early in the morning in search of coffee is A Good Thing. The People say Good Poodle, Clever Poodle and laugh and laugh as the geese rush away, swearing horribly and squirting out poop-tubes.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Hi, Poppy,
Zoe here. Mom says we might get a new chicken coop and some chickens this summer. She has cleared away the old coop that the bear destroyed and has had a new garden fence put up.

I'm really looking forward to having some squawking chickens to chase!

That chicken toy looks awesome, but Opal would probably tear it up - she's terrible about that.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I know from owning sheep and dogs that if you chase sheep when they have lambs the big sheep will butt you. If there is a ram with the sheep, he will come after you and they mean business. A ram can kill you. A farmer's rifle can kill you too. It is legal to kill dogs that chase livestock.

I would suggest a very reliable "leave it".

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Both dogs are pretty reliable around sheep, cattle and horses - it is just Poppy and chickens...

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Oh no, my human has a friend Linda that wants to get some chickens. I was all excited for sure.

But my friend Sasha, who is her dachshund tried to attack some chickens last week when she visited a farm. So now Linda is saying no....

Darn, I wish Sasha had cooled it and pretended she really didn't want to do them in. Big sigh.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts