Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a small specialty dog show at my club. They had obedience - we entered novice obedience. We needed one more Q.

My dog, probably for fear issues, but I'm not completely sure, decided last year she didn't want to lay down. The very last exercise is the long sits and downs. We've struggled - twice I got her to go down and we got a Q, but twice she refused - I would start with my normal signal but when she wouldn't go down I would bend down and pretend to lure all the way to the floor in desperation and she would look at me and say, NOPE, I'm going to remain sitting. Once I got her down but her leash was trapped under her and I pulled her up to a standing when I walked away - she stood for the minute but of course we didn't Q.

My club's trial is coming up later this month so I was using this as a practice. When we got to the long sits and downs, I just stood next to her and with my right hand made my little down pat......... and she went down perfectly. You would never have guessed we had problems. I knew immediately when she went down that we had our Q. I must have had the largest smile on my face during that minute.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you MaizieFrosty and StormeeK.

It’s wonderful to have this under our belt so we can focus on our Open.

Reactions: MaizieFrosty

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dogsavvy. This is the first dog I’ve trained. I love your quote “the ox is slow but the earth is patient “... explains dog training. Haha

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Ya-hooooo! Woopie! Yippee skippee! She did it. You did it. Congratulations! Well done! :cheers2: It seems sometimes they're on their own time and at some point the just flat out get it. :amen:

Reactions: Skylar

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congrats! Asher picked up his PCD title (ckc pre novice) this weekend. We are no where near ready for novice though! Good job!
Mysticrealm, that’s a great achievement, these obedience titles are really hard to achieve. It really helps to know others are working on and to be encouraged by that.

Thanks everyone.

Reactions: MaizieFrosty

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
Whoo! Setting off fireworks and cheering my head off. Whoo! Whoo hoo!! CD. That's a big one. That's a really, really big deal. CD. Feels good to say it. Say it with me again. CD. Yeah! Oh yeah. WOW! Yes! I knew it would happen. I did. I really believed it and I knew it. You did it. Congratulations! YAY!

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Congratulations! Time to celebrate team Babykins!!!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Yay! Way to go Babykins! Your cousin Zoe is attending class - maybe will be ready to trial in the spring.

·
Premium Member
23,197 Posts
Wonderful! I am always happy to see new letters after (or before) a dog's name). It represents a lot of hard work. I hope you will go to your club's show even though you finished the title. It will help both of you to go into the ring with nothing to lose and be able to hopefully relax and enjoy it.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks. And yes, Catherine I will take her to my clubs trial and we still get to compete with the “A” group for 60 days which is nice.

I’ve been in the Open class since the summer and I’m also now in the Utility class too since my proofing class has us doing gloves, articles, directed jumping etc so I figured I would join my friends in that class to. I never expected to I would be in an open or utility class but now we are.

And I know cousin Zoe is going to be great when she’s ready for competition next spring.

Reactions: lily cd re

·
Premium Member
23,197 Posts
The workshop Javvy and I attended this weekend was the advanced utility/open proofing workshop at Top Dog with Betsy Scapicchio and Linda Brennan. You should come next year. At the levels you are working in now one of the important things to do is to take your show on the road. There were people there this weekend from Washington state, California and all up and down the east coast. They are that good!!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Congratulations! I just signed up for our first Obedience match in 3 month. Hoping to be ready by then.

How do you find out about seminars like that? Any links to Facebook or other pages from your favorite instructors? Thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts