1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very close to just re homing my two white miniatures. I just don't
know how much longer I can put up with the things they pull after how
much my hubby and I care and love them, I haven't even had them long
at all but I just can't go through this everyday almost.

I'm talking about the female knocking over the trash and going through
it almost everyday, both set in there ways of using the bathroom in the
house (they stay outside for over hours at a time and then come back in
and potty in the house...wtf?!), also we crate them at night thinking
it was going to help them stay out of trouble and this morning there
was MOUNDS of dog crap in the crate and I had to give both of them
a bath due to all the feces in their hair...not pretty. Also etc, etc, etc
of the things they do other than that, just no manners at all. :banghead:
I'm DREADING cleaning that crate later.

I don't know what to do, I don't even know if I want to try anymore.
My baby will be here soon and I can't keep dealing with this.
Maybe I'm just writing this because I am upset, idk....but something
HAS to change or their finding a new home and no more dogs for me,
I'll just stick to Scooter and so will Hubby, no new poodle puppy for us
we'll just take the money. :(

·
Registered
260 Posts
MercyMoon. I really feel for you and respect you for tolerating the dogs for this long. Might I give you a suggestion?

This is a girl from another poodle message board I go to. I am sure she can give you some ideas on how to approach this.
---Kathy Diamond Davis, author, "Therapy Dogs: Training Your Dog to Reach Others," and the Canine Behavior Series at VeterinaryPartner.com.

She is very willing to help and makes things sound simple and to the point. She has her first standard poodle ever!
Tell her Chicky, Lisa Elifritz sent you.

[email protected] is her email address. Just explain to her exactly how you explained to us and she will give you her best advice.

·
Registered
554 Posts
UGH...they can be a handful huh? Okay...I have a notorious trash invader by the name of Peanut. Her fave food is poopy baby diapers, and I bet that will be a new fave at your house in a few weeks as well. NO MATTER what we did she would get into it...so you either have to get yourself an OUTSIDE trash can that has a lid that locks down to keep her out OR block her off from where the trash is, in other words a baby gate you are going to need in a few months anyhow. Don't buy a cheap one with the plastic mesh, she can chew through that...and Scooter will be able to fit through the type with the long metal tubes you can walk through...so maybe the kind with the metal mesh? Put a few baby gates on your baby shower list so YOU don't have to buy them yourselves...after all they are going to be for the baby, eventually!

Be creative if cash is a problem! We had an old fridge that we have in the garage that holds cold drinks and we didn't even use the shelves in. SO I took the wire shelf out of and I set it on top of the trash can, raise it up to through stuff away.

I don't really know what to tell you about the pooping and peeing in the house...for your own sanity if you free-feed you might want to cut it back to 2 meals a day. For the older girl I would give her large meal in AM and small meal in evening...less poop in cage in morning.

I know some will not agree with this one, but I have heard of it working...if you have 2 "crate poopers", then crate them together. They will have less space to poop in, and won't want to poop then have to lay in it. I am sure you know if you have them in too big of a crate they will poop in it, so maybe crating 2 in one might be a good idea anyhow.

Now get yourself a water squirt bottle and fill it with room temp water...I know you are getting a little less mobile right now, so that water bottle is going to be your new buddy. Whenever she gets in the trash or near it, give her a NO! and squirt her in the rear...water won't hurt her but it will help her to get the idea a bit quicker, like rewarding with a clicker but instead its punishment for bad behavior.

I use a squirt bottle for barking...if someone won't be quiet I just show them the bottle and then they magically remember what BE QUIET means!

·
Registered
329 Posts
I feel for you. You are going to be so busy soon that all the training tricks in the world may not help because you have to be so consistent for them to work. In my (limited) experience, if the crate is sized right and a dog still doesn't mind pottying in it then it will be VERY HARD, if not impossible, to get them completely housebroken. As far as the trash the easiest way for you to deal with it right now is to do something with the can itself so they can't get into it or as said block them from the area completely. Maybe they do need someone who has alot more time to train them. I know I wouldn't have been able to handle it when my kids were babies.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
If you feel getting rid of them is best, be sure to let who ever takes them know their issues ;)

My dogs like to get into the trash so we just put it up at night or when we are gone. I agree with getting a lid for it as well as correcting them when they get into it or even close to the can.

As for messing in the house, do you have carpet? If so that could be your problem as it smells inviting.

For messing in the crate some dog become desensitized to their own mess and the only way I know to stop it is to not let them eat after 9pm and make sure they potty before crating.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for being so understanding due to the situation. :)
Yes I do have carpet...I hate it but I try to deodorize it and they
still like to use the potty on it. Yes, both of them were adopted being
already older dogs so I can see why that would be a problem concerning
their behavior. I'm gonna give it some time and try different things and
take some of the advice I was given by you guys, but my patience is
running low. If anything I will at least more than likely be rehoming one
of them and then if the one I choose to keeps behavior doesn't change then
more than likely it will be finding a new home as well.

*sigh* I keep trying to stay positive...6 days til' the baby!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Positive thoughts coming your way MM. I imagine things are getting to you at the moment, and I think the guys have given you some really good ideas :smile:.

We're going to get a spray bottle for T's barking, he just doesn't stop even when you correct him and it's starting to be a bit of an issue. A friend of mine did that with her barking dog in the car and she's good as gold now, as IPP said they now just show her the bottle of water and she stops LOL!

I reckon at the moment rather than corrective training if you can just eliminate the temptation that might be easier eg. hide away the trash can and also reduce the size of their crates so they can just stand up and turn around and nothing more, no food or water in there once they go to bed and don't feed after 9pm. I can't imagine having to clean up poop in the morning I would be livid.

·
Registered
843 Posts
This is going to be very tough on you,with the baby...and especially with the caesarean section.
Will you have someone helping you post surgery?
You might try to put some food in the crate.
That might stop them from soiling in it.
I always heard that little dogs are harder to housebreak.
Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Poor MM, send them my way I'll fix 'em up for you.

Seriously though, you might be a little extra stessed considering which makes things seem a little worse. I feel for you.
Hopefuly you can get a handle on them. I would offer advice but I am just to tired tonight... Plus I just looked over and hubby is being a little childish. I think I need to stop him before he does something stupid like plugging body parts into the light socket or something... I need a drink.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
For the trash issue....maybe put the trash can under the kitchen sink. Im not sure if that will work in your kitchen and you may have to down size the can a little but that keeps baby and doggies out at my house.

No suggestions on the peeing on the carpet issue. I have 0 patience for that as well. I have noticed when I make a crate more comfy (extra blankets) then my little Mya will not soil (pee) in her crate. That doesn't always work with all though. Then again, if she gets upset (another dog went for a walk, and not her) she will poop in her crate and stomp through it. Oh that make me mad too. Damb terrier!

Hang in there....

·
Registered
478 Posts
I noticed that you have them listed on Hoobly for sale. I was wondering if you would consider putting them in poodle rescue? I totally understand why you feel the need to rehome them. With a new baby on the way - you've got a lot on your plate. But I am really scared for them (your female especially) since she isn't fixed. There are some scary people out there and I would hate for that precious little one to fall into the wrong hands of someone who just wants to breed her.
I had a bad experience once with a girl I sold an unfixed Shih Tzu to. I had known her for over a year - we both loved animals and when I sold her, the woman told me how she wanted her and had all these plans for her clothes she wanted to buy her. She had a male Shih Tzu and I had seen how well he was taken care of. She did want to have a liter or two with them but since I had seen how well she had loved and taken care of her boy, I thought - this is a great family. Well, she decided after about a month that she didn't want her (found something she liked better)and sold her to a woman that lives STATES away from us. I was upset! The only reason I hadn't fixed this dog is because it was with a woman who had a dog (and had taken wonderful care of it) and I thought this would be her perm. home. Now, when I've written to ask who she sold it to (a woman who was definitely going to be breeding her) my friend says she can't even remember the woman's name. I have no way of checking on this little girl. So, I pray that she is truly in good hands. But after that - I have vowed to never sell an unaltered female again. Just soo risky!!
Anyway - I say all that to say maybe a poodle rescue would be perfect for these two cuties. That way you can have total peace of mind as to what has happened to them.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I understand what you are going through.

I once got a pup, wound up pregnant around the same time (not planned) and that pup was lovely but too much for me to handle with the pregnancy and I was overwhelmed.

I arranged for a new home with a poodle rescue and hoped she would be happy there.

It was heart wrenching but I couldn't bear to keep her given my condition and

though it was twenty years ago......

I still think about her. Think about it and

don't know if I had kept her how things would have worked out.

I don't know how her life ultimately was. I pray it was good.

Hugs to you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts