Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bella is STILL not better. She was doing fine on chicken and brown rice (and probiotics and vitamin supplements), but not gaining (she's very active). So vet said to add scrambled eggs. Still fine but not gaining. So vet said to feed more. We had just started this a bit and we had to send her to doggie daycare for one day with strict instructions about food (and I have no reason to think they were not followed, but feel I should mention this).

Back to terrible diarrea. :(

Now we have added sweet potatoes. It's too soon to tell if it's working, but I guess it's working somewhat as she's not waking to have to go out like the first night. Still doesn't look normal.

She's had several fecal tests, some other $500 worth of blood and fecal tests. The only thing that came back low there was folate and I tend to believe that was because she was on chicken/rice/no supplements for a few weeks.

Throughout all of this, her spirits and health are otherwise great. Sparkly eyes, fine nose, great activity level, etc. Insatiable appetite (and we keep a close eye, I don't think she's getting into anything that's making her sick).

I just don't know what to do. :( What would you do? Thanks for any suggestions.

Rough timeline of prior events for those who really like details:
11/4/09 Rabies Shot

11/5/09 Visit to Pet Resort #1 for meet & greet

11/8/09 Diarrhea Began

Recovered with Chicken and plain white rice and Raw Green Tripe
-no supplements

Started back on Natural Balance Venison & Sweet Potato

Illness returned

Recovered with Chicken and brown rice

Late December-Discovered kibble formula changed

Very slowly integrated back on Natural Balance Venison & Sweet Potato

Diarrhea returned

Started on ABX from vet #1 due to a bacteria in fecal sample that does not CAUSE illness but can be indicative of getting over one (sorry, I can't remember the name and the vet is closed now)

Recovered on Chicken & Brown Rice and Raw Green Tripe

Slowly integrated Natural Balance Duck & Sweet Potato

Diarrhea returned

Recovered on Chicken & Brown Rice
-w/ supplements and ref. probiotics by natren Lactobacillus acidophilus, NAS & Enterococcus faecium, NCIB 10415

2/1 Met with Vet #2 for spay Pre-Op
Tests Run, same results and back on same ABX as Vet #1
Started on procare(or procure?) Powder

Still on chicken and rice – stomach okay (NO GREEN TRIPE)

2/16 Spay Surgery & Microchipped
2/17 Given One Dose of Carprofen 100mg
Severe diarrhea began w/ severe mucous
Lost 4 pounds in 1 week

Fed Chicken and basmati rice w/ supplements & ref. probiotics
Very Soft stool continued often w/ mucous

3/3 Started Chicken & Brown Rice w/ supplements
Soft Stool continued

3/5 Immediately vomited breakfast (chicken and basmati w/ supplement)

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I feel so bad for both of you. Not to mention that you have to be so sick of cleaning all the time. Her poor tummy!

I don't know what I would do different. I don't think I would feed her any more Natural Balance though. It wouldn't matter what variety it was. I know it is a super good dog food, but it's not working for her.

More likely it is a cause with something else, so keep asking questions. Don't give up. An answer is bound to be waiting for you to find it.

Just wish I could give it to you and make it all better. :(

Hugs to you both!

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Vegas has been having diaherra lately too, he's on clavamox and probiotics because I found blood in it the day before yesterday, the vets say it's not parvo but bad bacteria causing it.

It's hard not knowing what's going on!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I have a small suggestion.....no food for 24 hours...just water. Let it empty completely. When one of mine has the runs, I have absolutely found out that food irritates the lining MORE. The first feeding has EXTRA water and probiotics....I soak it and sprinkle the probioticn powder....during the fasting period - NO treats, no nothing. It works for me.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
It sounds like she reacts to stress with an upset tummy. Has your vet talked to you/ruled out IBD/IBS? I would seriously look into this. Has she been trialed on any steroids for this?

·
Registered
276 Posts
i know how you feel. When i first brought my puppy home she had diarrhea and occasional bloody stools for a straight month. it had me worried. it could have been the enormous stress of moving to a new environment. vet did a series of blood tests and stool samples, then gave her antibiotics which cleared it up for a bit, but then diarrhea returned. i had never been so concerned about poop - ever!

otherwise, she was energetic and happy during the whole episode (never fed chicken and rice, just her normal kibble). i introduced some natural yogurt for the probiotics into her diet and not sure if it worked right away, but eventually, the diarrhea went away on its own. i still feed her some yogurt daily and seems to be working well.

hope your baby gets better soon!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Have you tried people acidopholis (sp) ?

she may need an extra boost to restart her system.

Brian had a completly baffling digestive upset. he had explosive diarrhea for about 3 months, I had fecals run, switched foods, he ate nothing but chicken and rice, multiple prescriptions of flagyl,propectalin and the like.

this is what I did:

I gave him high doses of probiotics
(it said 1 teaspoon for a dog his weight, I gave 1 1/2) , mixed in yogurt.

I gave him the standard dose of Panacur (1 cc for every 10 lbs of body weight for 3 days ) every 10 days.

He got his normal food ration after one day of fasting, with some canned pumpkin

Within a couple weeks his poo returned to normal.

Passion4Poodles' Kiara had poo issues too when she first got her, and she gave people acidopholus and now Ki-ki is completly better. :)

have you tried to switch vets for a second opinion?

I know its disturbing when there are no clear answers hang in there kiddo
:)

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm new to this forum so maybe you've read this stuff already but I'll take a shot at this problem. I think duck and tripe are rather rich foods and brown rice is harder to digest than white. I usually fast for 24 hrs. then boil chicken breast (pour off any fat) and combine with white rice and cottage cheese for upset tummies. Scrambled eggs and yogurt are a nice change of pace once things start to look better. Feed until stool starts getting some form, then start adding dog food slowly with Prozyme. California Natural Chicken and Rice seems to work well. Your dog may be having trouble digesting grains. Taste of the Wild is a grain free option if that is the case. Good Luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a small suggestion.....no food for 24 hours...just water. Let it empty completely. When one of mine has the runs, I have absolutely found out that food irritates the lining MORE. The first feeding has EXTRA water and probiotics....I soak it and sprinkle the probioticn powder....during the fasting period - NO treats, no nothing. It works for me.
Hi, when I worked for a vet many years ago, he used to reccomend a 24 hour fasting too, but he would suggest fish and rice as a diet, sometimes dogs cant take chicken ect and get a protein scald from it, which causes the runny tummy, feeding fish in any form often helps.

I hope you get it sorted soon.

·
Registered
362 Posts
My standard poodle had a lot of diarehea and vomiting. I spent a lot of money at the vets and finally they told me to go and get a scope done on him.They checked his stool and then took his blood and also tested for addisons . That is a symptom of the disease. Well $2,000.00 later for the scope, I was told that he had small pin point ulcers and irratable bowel syndrone.
I give him a half of a Zantac and sulcrate 3 times a day, before he eats.
He has no more diarehea but sometimes still vomits, he used to vomit blood,He does not vomit has much as he used to, but no blood in vomit since on meds.
I feed him food with lamb and rice in it.
He has no more diarehea.
Maybe ask the vet about ulcers.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My poodle was 5 months when I got him and he had loose stools. After taking him to the vets with fecal, blood and other test all negative the Dr prescribed some meds & recommended fasting followed by chicken & rice only for 3 days. Took about a week before he was better but haven't had anymore problems. Praying your baby will get better soon.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
....still? I understand. It sounds like IBS or IBD.

We believe Suri may be affected with this but we are managing it with her. She rarely throws up though. We limit grains and too many treats. We just started raw today on all our dogs and hope they all transition well. We do keep Suri crated when we are not here and at night. Since we crated her, we have not had one poo accident, oddly enough OR get up in the middle of the night. We also do the powders periodically and they do help boost them back but I have not seen huge changes. Suri is actually settling down down a bit and the belly aches are becoming more spread out maybe every 2 weeks, but she gets the runny poo often.

Maybe your breeder can help. I know that when I talked to mine she looked a bit deeper into SUri's history and we able to determine (without the Vet yet) that she likely has IBS OR IBD - very different diseases actually with similar symptoms.

Good luck!! WIsh I could help more. I have had SUri since November 09 and she is just now showing some improvements and managing so much better.

NOTE: I am one day into raw, but I have read some success stories in my research of dogs that had IBS and with the raw - improving by high percents. Maybe give it a try.

·
Registered
178 Posts
One of my St Poos could not digest white potatoes at all. Any food with potatoes, potato starch etc.(not sweet potatoes) resulted in loose and/or bloody stools that always required a trip to the vet for medication. It would never just run its course and tighten up again. Once I figured this out she never had another problem.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The fasting that P2P suggested works well for me. Reece get an upset tum from time to time.

One of my clients spoos was constantly having tummy troubles until she was about 2. The only food that seemed to work for her was the duck Evo. Her teeth are now stained from all the vomiting, and she had diarrhea as well. She is 3 now and fine, eats whatever.

I do think she truly had some problems, but I think they were exaggerated by the owner taking too much advice, and changing the diet too often. If the dog got sick she would yank her off that food and switch to something else. From my point of view it seemed she never gave her system enough time to completely adjust to a food before she changed it.

I don't know if the Evo actually worked, or if that was just the first thing she was on long enough to settle her system. I'm not saying anyone's advice is right or wrong. Just be sure you aren't keeping system constantly adjusting to new foods. Just food for thought.:)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Zulu has tummy problems too, and i have heard that others in her lineage have as well. Her cousin was allergy tested, he is allergic to chicken turkey, rice, and potato and sweet potato... another has fish allergies... AGH i hear ur pain. When Zu has her problems, she gets low/no food for one day and gets a dose of pepto (as per vet) this seems to help her out quite a bit. I don't give her the pepto any more than three days in a row and that is only if its really bad. I agree with the others, maybe change her to grain free, something that does not have potatos in it because that seems to start her off again... btw thats a hard one, only thing i hav found is instinct which uses tapioca. Also, is there something that could be stopping the absorbtion of nutrients? I had a friend who had Celiac(sp?) i don't know if dogs can have this or something like it but it may be worth a look into. good luck in finding something that works!

·
Registered
752 Posts
I'm just curious. Has she been tested for Giardia? It runs in cycles, so they seem to get better and worse over and over again. Sounds possible. There's tons of info on the internet, especially from the Great Dane Lady. We've never had it, thank heavens, but I was worried that we did, so I did a lot of research.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you Everyone!!

I appreciate you taking the time to try to help me figure out what she needs.
*sigh* It makes sense, but oh, I just don't know if I can make her fast. :( She's such a chow-hound. She hasn't had treats since November or December (and they were the same has her kibble which was originally tolerated). Poor doggie. Thanks for the suggestion on the extra probiotics and water. I tend to do one squirt of probiotics with her breakfast, but not the water. She also doesn't drink much. However, if in her food she will.

It sounds like she reacts to stress with an upset tummy. Has your vet talked to you/ruled out IBD/IBS? I would seriously look into this. Has she been trialed on any steroids for this?
No, is there a test for IBS/IBD? I am pretty sure she was not on steriods (once again, I'm doing this with the vet closed), b/c it was in reaction to a bacteria in the stool so I'm 99% sure it was ABX. The vet actually told me it was something her mother with IBS has taken in response to my concern it would further upst her stomach.

otherwise, she was energetic and happy during the whole episode (never fed chicken and rice, just her normal kibble). i introduced some natural yogurt for the probiotics into her diet and not sure if it worked right away, but eventually, the diarrhea went away on its own. i still feed her some yogurt daily and seems to be working well.

hope your baby gets better soon!
Thank you. At the moment we're just doing the probiotics without yogurt. She did used to get yogurt (as part of her Kong filler) but we've stopped it since this all started originally....just trying to simplify her diet until we get her healthy again.
Have you tried people acidopholis (sp) ?
she may need an extra boost to restart her system.

Brian had a completly baffling digestive upset. he had explosive diarrhea for about 3 months, I had fecals run, switched foods, he ate nothing but chicken and rice, multiple prescriptions of flagyl,propectalin and the like.

this is what I did:

I gave him high doses of probiotics
(it said 1 teaspoon for a dog his weight, I gave 1 1/2) , mixed in yogurt.

I gave him the standard dose of Panacur (1 cc for every 10 lbs of body weight for 3 days ) every 10 days.

He got his normal food ration after one day of fasting, with some canned pumpkin

Within a couple weeks his poo returned to normal.
<<snipped>>>
have you tried to switch vets for a second opinion?
<<snipped>>
Thanks for the info. This is pretty much what I have done (except the one day fasting...though she had that for her spay surgery and was sick after anyhow b/c of the pain meds...grumble at the vet for not TELLING us they caused tummy troubles). We've bounced between two b/c the one I love doesn't have a laser for surgeries so when we took her to Vet #2 for her pre-spay appointment we talked to him about the tummy troubles and he ran a host of tests, came back with nothing helpful, same bacteria as before, same RX as before, with the addition of panacur. In general, we didn't really feel our philosophies were in line with him, so after all the spay-related appointments were through we're back to the first vet. So tell me more about panacur, what did you feel it does?

I'm new to this forum so maybe you've read this stuff already but I'll take a shot at this problem. I think duck and tripe are rather rich foods and brown rice is harder to digest than white. I usually fast for 24 hrs. then boil chicken breast (pour off any fat) and combine with white rice and cottage cheese for upset tummies. Scrambled eggs and yogurt are a nice change of pace once things start to look better. Feed until stool starts getting some form, then start adding dog food slowly with Prozyme. California Natural Chicken and Rice seems to work well. Your dog may be having trouble digesting grains. Taste of the Wild is a grain free option if that is the case. Good Luck!
Thank you. She actually did okay on the tripe when we started it back into her diet before restarting kibble (this must have been in December) but after it returned we haven't given it again. Vet #2 scared me out of using it with accusations of parasites, bacteria, etc. I really don't think that was it, but I am just trying to keep it simple until she's healthy. I will have to look into Prozyme to see what that is. I haven't heard of it before. The irony when it comes to grains is that she WAS on a completely grain-free diet. Her kibble was grain-free then she also had tripe and yogurt. When we started her on chicken and rice she got better (originally anyway) so we decided perhaps she can tolerate rice. As for white vs. brown rice, she seemed to tolerate brown better. Taste of the wild is on my list of foods to look for.

I have more to say but I have to go now...I will be back tomorrow (spring-break-kids-willing-LOL). Thank you everyone, though...I have read it all, but just didn't get all the way through responding tonight.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Even though the vet had not found it in his stool I was not so sure Brian did not have a parasite, or giardia. We had just moved to a home with a pond(cesspool) in the yard. and lots of wildlife. so I did the panacur in the hopes it would catch an active cycle of giardia, whatever he had it wiped it out :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts