Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought these treat bones called Canine Vitalis and they have pepermint oil in them. I looked and looked for something with mint oil and no wheat but there was nothing so I went with these and so far his stool is fine. The bones are small and one small bone yesterday cleared up his smelly breath. I have no idea what was causing it but my theory is that wetting his food was causing it because he wasn't eating all of his food when it was put down and it absorbed all of the water and then the wet food was getting stuck to his teeth. I stopped wetting the food and gave him a rib bone and then one of these and he's good now.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Also, if the food is sitting in the moisture in your warm home, bacteria could be growing in that environment and that could also help cause his bad breath? I'm not expert.. it's just what first came to my mind when you mentioned that.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I never thought about Mint Leaves........I googled this and found this recipe:

Wash the glass bottle thoroughly with clean water. Allow to dry completely. Wash the mint leaves to remove any dirt and let them dry well.

Step 2Crush the mint leaves randomly and stuff them in the bottle.

Step 3Pour the carrier oil over the herbs so that they are completely immersed within the oil. Place the lid tightly over the bottle and place on a window sill for 2 to 3 days, occasionally shaking the bottle lightly.

Step 4Place the cheesecloth over the empty bottle and strain the oil well. It is important to remove any residue from the oil, so it is better to strain it twice or use a fine cheesecloth.

Step 5Discard used mint leaves and place the mint oil in a cool dry place for later use. This oil can be used for a long time since it is free of any residue that encourages growth of bacteria.

Also the website
http://www.ehow.com/how_4443818_make-mint-oil.html

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it's not left THAT long. I mean it absorbs water quickly and then is eaten. It's not like I leave his food sitting wet all day long.LOL

Ollie thanks for the recipe I might try that out. I prefer no wheat just because there is a lot of wheat sensitivity in dogs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts