Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
lol and it can be much worse

but they didn't show matted dogs with maggots under the coat or flea infested animals that when you put water on them it looks like blood just pouring off the dog from all the flea dirt, disgusting.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
That guy was cracking me up. I often wonder why these dogs that are so whiney get like that. Do their owners just never groom them themselves? Oh and what's with the expressing anal glands of every dog? I mean large breed dogs don't need anal glands expressed.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I wish those dogs were in my shop!!! They are mild compared to some i do, LOL.

They way that lady was telling him to hold that westie's head, SKEERED me! She could have been able to do that dogs nails all by her lonesome if she had a groomers helper :D

Seriously, there are a good number of dogs that do act like those on that video and I've never met a westie that DIDN"T act like a nut for nails.

·
Registered
539 Posts
It's people like her that give groomers a bad name. She never should have let someone with no experience squeeze the glands or clipper the dog's rear end. I find that a little kindness goes along way (I never saw her show any of her clients any kindness), she should think about a career change!!

·
Registered
875 Posts
I had a scary dog today. It was a schnauzer, and he had to be sedated. .... when it started wearing off, the poor guy just screamed and cried. I was about to cry.

We are going to use a different, reversable sedative next time, instead of one that just has to wear off.

·
Registered
875 Posts
It's people like her that give groomers a bad name. She never should have let someone with no experience squeeze the glands or clipper the dog's rear end. I find that a little kindness goes along way (I never saw her show any of her clients any kindness), she should think about a career change!!
I agree completly!

Kpoos- some large dogs do need it, but it is rare.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
If they get to the point that they need it, wouldn't it be more appropriate to have the vet do it rather than a groomer?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
OMG I thought the same thing! Brushing and holding is one thing, but she should not have let him express anal glands or bring a clipper anywhere near a dog's behind, especially the way he was acting.
I can't stand that video, just because of the dorky host. I saw it a year or so ago, and I had to turn it off because the guy annoyed me so much lol. He kept hamming it up for the camera like an idiot, and I couldn't help but feel bad for the dogs who had to deal with an awkward grooming by such an unprofessional person. She was so apathetic too... she just seemed to be pumping the dogs out one after another, poor things.
They didn't even show the "dirty" parts of grooming anyhow, like Aidan mentioned. The rough parts, yeah, with tough-to-handle dogs, but none of the stinky matted messes, parasite infested, or really remotely dirty dogs at all. Hmm.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I saw that video awhile back and I personally don't like how he held the westies head AT ALL. That looks FAR more stressfule for the dog to have the hair on his face held tight and pulled when he moves than beind muzzled. The best thing she could have done is to have another groomer take the dog in his or her in their arms with his legs down and their arms around him so he wont bite while they do his nails. They could have also wrapped a towel around his body while being held and have one leg out at a time to do his nails, we'll do this with smaller, more fragile dogs so their little stick legs aren't kicking and risking their injury, and it seems to have a similiar effect as swaddling an infant and calms them.

.. just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I think she needs different equipment. Her table set up is designed for small dogs, not Shepherds. Het tub is suitable for smaller dogs, too. She shows an inability to manage big dogs safely and make them feel secure and groom smoothly. Yes, its all designed for TV. I know several of the roomers from the Reality Show "Groomer Has It!" Alot of it is contrived. Another thing that really annoys me is when they say SUPPRESS the anal sac. Supress means keep inside....like supress a cough. EXPRESS means to release, let go.
Cynthia is a boob.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I didnt like this video AT ALL!!! The groomer seemed like she didnt even care too much about the dogs. I do nails on dogs that dont like it but you talk to them and go slow and it helps. And i agree that its dangerous having someone around who doesnt know what they are doing especially having him trim nails on a dog thats already scared! And doing glands on a shep that obviously wasnt happy about it, she probably didnt need it done in the first place and not to mention that she almsot fell off the table....maybe she should of been done on the ground!

Just irked me the wrong way!

Oh and Mister is 50 pounds (so a lrger dog) and he needs his glands done every bath lol, most big dogs dont though and i would take it to a vet if a large dog needed it done so it could be done internally and not externally. The shep seemed annoyed and uncomfortable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts