Poodle Forum banner

If you could get another poodle, would you prefer a docked tail or a natural tail?

• docked

Votes: 28 68.3%
  • natural

Votes: 13 31.7%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
which as in size? Gender? Everything???? lol! If I could get any other poodle, it'd be a slightly less nutty version of Paris, but still with her spunk... lol!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I would love an undocked one, as long as it had good carriage, I just hate the ones that curl over the back, or have a kink in it.

Luckily, where I plan to get my next standard from, Australia, it is illegal to dock tails, so hopefully they'll have gotten rid of those horrible tails by the time I get one :)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I would totally go natural again. I love Vinnie's tail - it is gay, but he does "uncurl" it when moving. I just love a natural tail - in photos, you can see how much they use their tail as a rudder for turning, stopping, etc...

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
My next spoo will be just like Mitch (I love you Matrix, but I like cream/white spoos more than black), so it will be docked. Matrix has a full tail, and I do love it, but if I'm going through one of the breeders I've been looking at, they dock their pups. I also want people to know just by looking that my spoo is a POODLE, not a DOODLE!!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
When I get my next standard (which won't be for a while) it will be with docked tail. I love poodles in different colors, but have to see the eyes, so either light color to begin with like white, cream, apricot, or that will fade like a silver, cafe au lait or silver beige. Oh and how could I forget red!!!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I like docked tails, but only well docked tails. Desmond has this awful little bitty nub... guh. I'm not as fond of natural tails on poodles, though some dogs can look really good with them. The docked tail just kind of completes the picture of a poodle for me in many cases, ; natural tails are too long and just look odd to me, but some dogs do look good with the natural tail. Though I have nothing against them, I wouldn't seek one out anyway.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I like Captain's little pommed tail, it's just perfect actually. But, I would love a natural tail. Captain's grandsire has a natural tail that is lovely, so I'm curious if his would have been left natural if it would be similar.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I still like the look of a SLIGHTLY docked tail. A full/natural tail just hasn't grown on me (yet). I think it'll take time for the public to accept a full tail.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
yup, a long dock for me, or a nice natural one (not massivly long, nor gay over the back or curled...)

·
Registered
440 Posts
such a tough question... Ocsi's tail, while docked IMO is a little short (he can only have a pompom at the end really; but I have a friend with a poodle who's tail is certainly much shorter than Ocsi's and he only has a pom at the end of it as well)
Fallie (who knows where/what kind of breeder she had since she's a rescue) did NOT dock her tail, and again, IMO I feel her tail looks really silly curled over her back when she holds her tail "straight up" (notice the quotes, b/c she never holds her tail straight :( really the only time she has her tail straight is if she's laying down on her side, if she's standing and her tail is down, she still keeps a slit curve in the very end of the tail)

so... if I had a choice (and I signed papers at the rescue group that I wouldn't dock her tail after adopting her) I WOULD have preferred Fallie's tail be docked when she was a puppy (b/c it curls over)
and if I had a choice with Ocsi- I might have left his tail long b/c he seems to carry it very well

my two cents :D

LOL- for my next dog, who knows! I've got my hands full with these two for now!! ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts